• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A part of me died tonight

Baseball for me is cathartic. I grew up with it, thanks to my dad, and it's literally one of the two things that we can still talk about (the weather being the other...he also turned me into a weather geek). We really can't talk about much else. When I flew out to Europe (via LAX) in September, he made the drive out from Riverside and we had lunch at the airport and talked about...the Angels. And the weather. 

Still, it was great that he came all the way out to see me.

It was hard to follow postseason baseball while 6 hours ahead of the East Coast (5 hours this week, as Germany turned clocks back last weekend), as all the games were basically the middle of the night for me. The Cubs won Game 7 at about 6 AM my time. But I was listening.

To show the impact of baseball on fathers and sons, Wayne Williams of North Carolina kept a pledge that he and his father made, that if the Cubs were ever in the World Series, they would listen to the games together. Williams' father died of cancer in 1980 at age 53. Williams, now 68, drove from his home in North Carolina to his father's gravesite in Indiana, and he listened to Game 7 on his smart phone at his father's grave site.

Keeping promise, man listens to Cubs win at dad's grave site

On 11/2/2016 at 10:38 PM, SoToSpeaks said:

One of the greatest nights in my life was being at the Big A for the halos 02 WS win.   

My love for baseball has waned considerably over the years.  I was once such a die hard Angel fan.  Watching the Cubs win the WS ended one of those great baseball stories - yeah yeah tip of hat to Joe Maddon and team for getting it done - the "would they ever win again" story.

I always felt differently after the Red Sox finally broke their curse.  It wasn't fun not being able to yell 1918 at them, especially after the second title in our lifetimes.  

I know records are meant to be broken, and legends fade.  Lou Gehrig's record fell.  Aaron's record fell.  Rose became the hit king.  

I suppose I'm mourning my childhood, which each day grows more distant.  Going to the Big A in the 70s and 80s as a kid and loving every pitch was my life.  I'd go to 40+ games a season with my dad.   This season I didn't watch one Angels game on tv and went to one.  It's quite sad as I spent my teens and 20s hoping for a son to share my passion of baseball for.  After having two girls, I finally have a five year old boy, but I don't have an interest in the game or sharing it with him.  

The one game he and I went to this year, we arrived in the second inning and left in the seventh. 

I read Historical books about old baseball days and stadiums and past legends. I love that part of baseball.  Sadly I didn't evolve with the game.

Growing up my aunt from Chicago sent me two things for Xmas and my birthday every year - something Jesus related and something Cubs related.  Them losing every year was a thing to me.  

Now that's gone. 

But it isn't so much about the Cubs win as it is my loss.  

I'm probably the only one on some foolish rant in the world right now, but there's no better place for that rant than AW.com

Amen for baseball!

Get your 5 year old involved in Little League and make it fun. No yelling, just cheering. It will change your life to see the joy of baseball again. My 21 yo son and I have season tickets to Cal State Fullerton baseball and we both prefer going there to the 3 or 4 trips we take each year to Angel stadium.

On 11/4/2016 at 9:41 AM, Vegas Halo Fan said:

To show the impact of baseball on fathers and sons, Wayne Williams of North Carolina kept a pledge that he and his father made, that if the Cubs were ever in the World Series, they would listen to the games together. Williams' father died of cancer in 1980 at age 53. Williams, now 68, drove from his home in North Carolina to his father's gravesite in Indiana, and he listened to Game 7 on his smart phone at his father's grave site.

Oh man, it's starting to get dusty in here

On 11/4/2016 at 10:22 AM, Justabitoutside said:

Get your 5 year old involved in Little League and make it fun. No yelling, just cheering. It will change your life to see the joy of baseball again. My 21 yo son and I have season tickets to Cal State Fullerton baseball and we both prefer going there to the 3 or 4 trips we take each year to Angel stadium.

My son started t-ball last year and it really re-energized me.  He watched baseball voraciously. Wanted to know every batters first middle and last name. He likes to play in the backyard, and makes his mother and I reenact the olayers coming out of the dugout as I pitch to him. I had been losing interest in baseball, and he saved it for me. His unbridled passion for the game is infectious. Plus he swings a big bat and can throw! 

One of my biggest regrets in life is not going to game 7 in 2002. Decided at the last minute to watch the game at home.

And now a dear friend of mine who was an avid Angels' fan has passed away unexpectedly. And we will never attend an Angels' game together.

Soto,  grab your kid next season and go. Life's too short.

On 11/4/2016 at 9:41 AM, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Great story!

2 hours ago, yvangelfan said:

One of my biggest regrets in life is not going to game 7 in 2002. Decided at the last minute to watch the game at home.

And now a dear friend of mine who was an avid Angels' fan has passed away unexpectedly. And we will never attend an Angels' game together.

Soto,  grab your kid next season and go. Life's too short.

There it is. Life is way, way too short. I advise everyone on here to get out and enjoy it while youre here. Too many of us get stuck into routine with work, family, etc. 

Its obviously easier said than done, but at minimum, if you live in the city, go camp for a weekend. If you live more rural, go see a broadway show once in your life. Go deep sea fishing, ride a train somewhere cool, etc. Read an article recently a nurse wrote that said the absolute most common thing she hears from the dying is they regret not doing things when they had the chance...