• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why do you think Escobar didn't get traded?

m0nkey

3 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

I'm sure some team could've used his bat.  Do you think they didn't get anything worthwhile? It's not like they're going anywhere in 2017 anyway

My speculative guess is we overvalued him a lot and no team came close to matching it. A lot of his offensive peripherals suggest what he is doing at the plate isn't sustainable and, even if it is, he is still only an average player because of his defensive shortcomings. So partly that and partly a deluded belief that we should be focusing on 2017.

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

The Angels are stupid and intend to "compete" next year

Exactly this. I was thinking they'd move him in the offseason but I doubt that happens. Angels focused on 2017 and 2017 only with regards to their org

He'll probably be moved next deadline when the team isn't good. His value won't be as high as it is now though with him set for FA after next year so the return will be limited. Halos probably will get an MLB piece back in return for him

8 minutes ago, Adam said:

The Angels are stupid and intend to "compete" next year

The worst part (and I think you're correct) is it will lead us to do something even more desperate and stupid in the offseason, because there are so few options to make the team better in 2017 that are actually good paths to go down. Vernon Wells 2.0, anyone?

16 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

I'm sure some team could've used his bat.  Do you think they didn't get anything worthwhile? It's not like they're going anywhere in 2017 anyway

I still haven't given up on 2017, I always have high hopes in April. I don't get people that have written off a season that hasn't even finalized it's 25 man roster yet.

Here's my opinion.  Yes he is a good ave hitter but not a manager favorite. He has alot of easy 1 pitch outs. He makes bone headed running mistakes. Below average fielder. Also lives in his own world.  Your team loses 6-0 but he goes 2 for 4 and he's singing in the dugout. Then the team wins 6-0 and he's pouting in the corner because he went hit-less. I played Baseball many years and these types of players drives managers insane. 

A couple of things:

1) Escobar's trade market didn't develop well as the Royals fell out of contention, the Giants went the cheaper route with Nunez, and the Mets also went the cheap route with Jose Reyes.

2) September waivers could still see Escobar getting traded especially if those "cheap" options don't work out for the Giants and Mets and/or another contending team loses a key player at 3B or even 2B.

Finally the Angels have clearly stated that they are not a rebuilding team. It could be that they want to compete and see where the 1st half of 2017 takes them with a rotation consisting of Shoemaker, Skaggs, Nolasco, and Meyer as the starting four (which is potentially an above average starting four to be honest). Add a FA starter like Nova or Hellickson to the mix and the Angels might have a fighting chance.

Is it a good chance? That I can't answer without seeing how the offseason plays out too. The could have just decided that they will let the market expand in the offseason for Escobar as well.

12 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Watching this trade deadline coverage it's pretty clear just how irrelevant the Angels are.

Exactly what I was thinking. It seems like the only people that give a shit about this team are the AW members.

13 hours ago, ettin said:

A couple of things:

1) Escobar's trade market didn't develop well as the Royals fell out of contention, the Giants went the cheaper route with Nunez, and the Mets also went the cheap route with Jose Reyes.

2) September waivers could still see Escobar getting traded especially if those "cheap" options don't work out for the Giants and Mets and/or another contending team loses a key player at 3B or even 2B.

Finally the Angels have clearly stated that they are not a rebuilding team. It could be that they want to compete and see where the 1st half of 2017 takes them with a rotation consisting of Shoemaker, Skaggs, Nolasco, and Meyer as the starting four (which is potentially an above average starting four to be honest). Add a FA starter like Nova or Hellickson to the mix and the Angels might have a fighting chance.

Is it a good chance? That I can't answer without seeing how the offseason plays out too. The could have just decided that they will let the market expand in the offseason for Escobar as well.

well said