• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brazil Olympics

I'm sure this will help tons.

Oi bankruptcy sends shockwaves through Brazil's financial system

Canada will be feeling the burn also.

Oi’s top shareholders include Pharol SGPS SA -- the Portuguese holding company of former Portugal Telecom shareholders -- along with the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, the state-owned development bank BNDES and BlackRock Inc., according to the phone company’s website.

Edited by gotbeer

It appears that Rome will heed your advice. They just elected an anti Olympics mayor and will probably drop their 2024 bid. 

Maybe I'm naive, but I am hoping LA wins the 2024 games. Normally, I would think the Olympics are stupid but LA already has so many world class venues and media facilities built for permanent use that they will be able to keep costs down to a level that at the very least won't be devastating. Granted that's a liow bar to set, but that's really a worst case scenario.

Between a newly renovated Rose Bowl, a previously planned $275 million renovation of the Coliseum, a nearly $2 billion Rams stadium, the Staples Center, Honda Center, the Galen Center, the Stub Hub Center, LAFC's new stadium, Dodger Stadium, Angel Stadium, and the numerous other athletic facilities at both UCLA and USC very little venue construction would need to be done. The new plans for the athletes' village also reduce costs by housing them in already built facilities at UCLA.

I wasn't born when LA last hosted and is like to experience what it's like.

LA and OC really are set up well for the Olympics. Basically everything is there already, and like you say there will be even more built by the time another one can be held there. Even the transportation is there, better than it was back in 84 and it wasn't a major headache then. Multiple International Airports ( I was was working at SNA during the 84 games) Freeway system, rail service...etc.

Really, LA-OC is perfect for the event, so it will probably lose out to some place that totally sucks. Seems to be the IOC way.  

25 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

LA and OC really are set up well for the Olympics. Basically everything is there already, and like you say there will be even more built by the time another one can be held there. Even the transportation is there, better than it was back in 84 and it wasn't a major headache then. Multiple International Airports ( I was was working at SNA during the 84 games) Freeway system, rail service...etc.

Really, LA-OC is perfect for the event, so it will probably lose out to some place that totally sucks. Seems to be the IOC way.  

Hopefully the metro system is working smoothly by then. But once again the good thing is that improvements are planned independent of getting the Olympics. These are changes LA has already planned.

3 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

Little wonder...who wants amebic dysentery?  

Yep, still lots of concerns about the water cleanliness and now the Zika virus.

with all the major golf tournaments around the world, the olympics isn't that big a deal (at least not to me). Not the same for several of the other sports, however.

11 hours ago, Tank said:

Yep, still lots of concerns about the water cleanliness and now the Zika virus.

with all the major golf tournaments around the world, the olympics isn't that big a deal (at least not to me). Not the same for several of the other sports, however.

Olympics would probably be a big thing on the LPGA side.  Except for the Zika and birth defects threat, which for 20 and low 30 year olds can't be a concern at all. 

On 6/22/2016 at 10:37 AM, eaterfan said:

Maybe I'm naive, but I am hoping LA wins the 2024 games. Normally, I would think the Olympics are stupid but LA already has so many world class venues and media facilities built for permanent use that they will be able to keep costs down to a level that at the very least won't be devastating. Granted that's a liow bar to set, but that's really a worst case scenario.

The Olympics are very expensive to host. There are numerous venues needed for the multitude of sports, housing for athletes and coaches during the games, plus accommodations, transportation and concessions for the attendees. Officials in many countries who bid on hosting the games are blinded by the prospect of national prestige. They aren't realistic about the total cost. Once the Olympics end the revenue is gone, but many of the costs remain.

On 6/24/2016 at 7:52 PM, Vegas Halo Fan said:

The Olympics are very expensive to host. There are numerous venues needed for the multitude of sports, housing for athletes and coaches during the games, plus accommodations, transportation and concessions for the attendees. Officials in many countries who bid on hosting the games are blinded by the prospect of national prestige. They aren't realistic about the total cost. Once the Olympics end the revenue is gone, but many of the costs remain.

This is true in most cases. But the 3 most expensive things for a city to build are an olympic stadium (LA already has 2, the Coliseum and new Rams stadium, plus the Rosebowl just to be even more redundant), the athletes and media villages (they are using the already built dorms at UCLA and USC respectively), and the media broadcast centers (LA already has a ton of them and there will be another huge one at the Ram's stadium). Yes there will have to be some small venues built (mostly repurposing small sports venues for whatever sport they will be hosting) but the costs to LA wouldn't be close to anything near what they were for other recent host cities.

LA isn't trying to do the Olympics like China where everything is shiny and new. They are trying to show that the games can be successful using existing infrastructure for a reasonable cost.