• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brazil Olympics

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Was Sochi the olympic host city with the insane amount of wild dogs running the streets?

Yeah...there were stories of mass culling before the games there, because there were packs of wild dogs running rampant over the whole area.

LA is certainly one of the few cities that could host the Summer Olympics without it being a cluster fuck, but I think we've seen most Western cities really want nothing to do with the Olympics. Hell, the 2022 Winter Olympics came down to Beijing and some city in Kazakhstan as most cities ran as far as they could. After the disaster that is Rio it goes to Asia for the next 3 cycles. At this point you would almost think that the Olympic Committee will be begging the US or a Western Europe city to host in 2024.

I would love to see LA host it again, if they could do it cost effectively. I loved going to the games in 84...handball at Cal State Fullerton!

And as shitty as Rio has the potential to be...most likely I'll be watching as much of it as I can...I do love me some Olympics.

5 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

Just looked at some pictures of Sochi recently...it's basically a ghost town just over 2 years after the Winter Olympics there. Collapsing stadiums, deserted streets, and empty apartments.

Billions wasted.  

Exactly the point. Saw the same thing in Sarajevo 20 years after they hosted - except that there was also war damage to a lot of the buildings.

Makes you wonder why countries keep turning themselves inside out to host the Games. Sure, you get publicity and profit while they are open, but then what?

59 minutes ago, red321 said:

LA is certainly one of the few cities that could host the Summer Olympics without it being a cluster fuck, but I think we've seen most Western cities really want nothing to do with the Olympics. Hell, the 2022 Winter Olympics came down to Beijing and some city in Kazakhstan as most cities ran as far as they could. After the disaster that is Rio it goes to Asia for the next 3 cycles. At this point you would almost think that the Olympic Committee will be begging the US or a Western Europe city to host in 2024.

I would love to see LA host it again, if they could do it cost effectively. I loved going to the games in 84...handball at Cal State Fullerton!

And as shitty as Rio has the potential to be...most likely I'll be watching as much of it as I can...I do love me some Olympics.

I've always thought that if the Olympics and the USOC keep giving LA the finger.  That LA should have bid on some winter olympics.  Put the skiing, jumps etc in Mammoth area.  Is the tech there to put the jumps and bobsled in warm temperatures similar to the hockey outdoors?  Would just be bitching if you had jumps off the cliffs of PCH.  You might even be able to talk six flags into making and hosting the bobsled, because that would be an extreme kick ass ride.  But the more expensive facilities are already made.  We have plenty of rinks to do all the indoor stuff.  Pond, Staples, where the Reign play in Ontario, Long Beach.  I'm sure in a pinch you can reactivate the Forum, and possibly USC and UCLA's arenas. 

But of course it's a moot point now that Boston was inept, and the summer fell into our laps. 

8 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

There is something to be said for picking a rotation of cities that already have at least most of the existing structures and infrastructure in place. This business of bidding every four years just plays into the hands of national leaders with more ego than sense.

And corrupt IOC members that get under the table offers from said national leaders.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Russia is close to being banned from participating. The IOC would like to follow the recommendations of the world doping authorities and drop them all together, but I'm not sure they have the cajones to do it.

Dick Pound fears IOC reluctant to ban entire Russia team from Olympics

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/20/russia-olympic-games-rio-drugs-dick-pound