• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should Ichiro's hits in the NBL (Japan) count towards the all time hit record?

Japan is a major sports league, I am not saying he should be in the same vein as Pete Rose (who technically has 0 hits) because that is the MLB hits record.  But if you said Major Professional Baseball record it could work for Ichiro.

It all goes back to the shit we do where we call it a world series and world champions when all of the teams are in America or Canada.  Not really a world series then is it?

No.  Wouldn't that also force MLB to start combing through all the Negro League records?  Most of which were shoddily kept, to say the least. Josh Gibson supposedly hit over 800 hrs in his career, split between the Negro, Dominican and Mexican leagues.  And what about winter league play?  Should we count those numbers too?  It would create a huge mess.  

It sort of reminds me of when Pat Summitt retired and some people took offense to her being referred to only as the "most winningest women's basketball coach" ever.  They insisted she be called the "most winningest college basketball coach" ever.

The commentator I was listening to made a pretty fair point.  Okay, we'll call her that, he said.  But that means just about every Olympic or world record held by a woman in track & field and swimming, etc., should be wiped off the books. 

Ichiro should get credit for the all time International Major League Record (not MLB) and be credited with that.

Rose would still be the MLB all time hit leader (you can bet on that !!).

I think Ichiro is a first ballot HOF'er in MLB and likely Japanese Baseball's HOF as well.

I also think Pete Rose should be in the HOF.

Ichiro's 200 hit seasons something like 10 or 12 in a row is impressive -- Not too many MLB players have done that all time -- and certainly none during the era that Ichiro played.

He also has something like 20 years straight of having something like 100 hits or more.

At one point Ichiro was pretty good as base-stealing and he may be on that list of players with 3,000 hits (soon) and 250 to 300 Stolen bases. I think he may have 200 HRs as well. Not quite Biggio numbers but close.........Biggio had 3,000 hits, about 300 SBs and I think 299 HRs (I don't think he reached 300).

checked Ichiro's MLB stats -- he's at 2,977 hits and has a real chance to get to 3,000 this year if Miami give him playing time. He's pretty much in a platoon situation there.

He has 504 stolen bases lifetime -- a lot more than I thought -- so he's definitely in Biggio numbers territory.

He has only 113 HRs.

He also has 117 OF assists which must place him fairly high on the all-time lists for assists by an OF'er. (tossing out base runners).

8 hours ago, jimbo said:

He played American baseball and dominated. Actually more so than when he played in Japan. So the AAA Japan league theory doesn't apply with this dude. 4 seasons with a. 350 or higher average! Damn.

Dominated MLB more than JPL?  Does math play any part in this statement?

JPPL - .353/.421/.522

MLB - .314/.357/.405

Career OPS+ of 108.   CJ Cron has a career OPS+ of 104.   

Domination isn't what it used to be apparently.

Ichiro was good at getting singles.  A unique player and a dominant defensive player but -- a total of 2 top ten WAR finishes in 12 years takes some of the shine off his overall "dominance", particularly when you consider many believe WAR gives too much credence to defense.

As far as Japan being AAA goes..  Bobby Rose, Alex Cabrera, Tuffy Rhodes, Tom Omalley, Alonzo Powell, are all pretty solid examples of how different the talent level is.

10 straight seasons of 200 or more hits is a pretty cool feat in any league let alone the major leagues. The word dominance was ued in relation to his daily interaction with the opposing pitcher as his. 314 avg. over 16 season would indicate. But your  right tho, silly me bringing batting avg. to a WAR fight lol

12 minutes ago, jimbo said:

10 straight seasons of 200 or more hits is a pretty cool feat in any league let alone the major leagues. The word dominance was ued in relation to his daily interaction with the opposing pitcher as his. 314 avg. over 16 season would indicate. But your  right tho, silly me bringing batting avg. to a WAR fight lol

Oh there's no question he hit extremely well in the MLB. But you specifically said he was more dominant here than in Japan, which as IP pointed out (using the stats you are using) is clearly not the case. 

13 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Yawn..  You said he was more dominant in MLB than he was in Japan -- a laughable comment at best.  But whatever..  Go ahead and mock a stat that actually tries to indicate a player's overall value (and to a degree dominance), in favor of batting average -- it does little to support either of your comments. 

Should I type "lol" now?  

Ichiro was a truly unique player and the best there ever was at hitting full swing IF singles.   So dominant.