• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto's Mariners

I'm somewhere in the middle on both sides of the Dipoto love/hate, but I will say this. Being able to have full reign over the decision making, choosing your guy as the manager and not having your owner butt in sign big names to longterm shitty contracts... it makes a hell of a difference.  

That and Dipoto had Cruz, Cano and Seager in the middle of his lineup already, Felix, Walker.. Then re-signed Iwakuma and picked up Karns, Cishek, Martin and the better 1B Korean, Lee. He's done well and was already in n pretty good shape going in. 

Traded away Trumbo for nothing. 

Seager having his best year yet. 

Walker having his best year yet. 

Miley has been awful. 

No depth for starting pitching so Paxton got lit up the other night. Sound familiar?

not convinced. I liked Dipoto but Karns and Cishek have been his best moves and they're meh at best. They won't win the division. 

Giving DiPoto credit for Seattle at this point is like blaming Eppler for the Angels.  I realize DiPoto is a polarizing guy around here but when you get down to it he wasn't able to do the job he wanted to do with the Angels.  His moves as GM of the Angels definitely weren't all winners but it's hard to say what he would have done had been able to implement his plan.  Plenty of blame to go around and since he's with Seattle now I hope they suck since it would be to the benefit of the Angels.  

1 hour ago, OregonLAA said:

Traded away Trumbo for nothing. 

Seager having his best year yet. 

Walker having his best year yet. 

Miley has been awful. 

No depth for starting pitching so Paxton got lit up the other night. Sound familiar?

not convinced. I liked Dipoto but Karns and Cishek have been his best moves and they're meh at best. They won't win the division. 

Wrong. Leonys Martin is his best move. So far ... plenty of time to change. (Signing Dae Ho Lee and dumping Jesus Montero is a close 2nd)

Trumbo is nothing special. Yes, all we got is a backup catcher for him but whatever, no guarantee he'd do for us what he's doing for Baltimore. Sure he has 17 HRs now but I bet you he ends the season around .300 OBP just like usual.

We've played well against the good teams we HAVE faced.

We're 5th in OBP. 1st in HRs. 4th in runs scored. (All of MLB) The offense is not fake. The starting pitching has been the problem.

1 hour ago, Ender said:

Trumbo is nothing special. Yes, all we got is a backup catcher for him but whatever, no guarantee he'd do for us what he's doing for Baltimore. Sure he has 17 HRs now but I bet you he ends the season around .300 OBP just like usual.

Trumbo is just not an AL West type of player. Stick him in the AL East where teams really have to fear his power in those small ball parks and he will hit. Last season Seattle was counting on Trumbo playing defense in a ballpark made for defensive oriented players. His entire game was working against him in Seattle. As for the trade itself, you can only get what other teams are willing to give up for the guy. Coming off the years he has had outside of Anaheim and that just isn't all that much.

4 hours ago, DropOfAnaheim said:

Being a halo fan is filled with pain. It is one thing being in last place. It is another seeing that quitter succeeding with the perpetual also rans from the Emerald City. They overcame a 10 run defecit last night to win again last night. We got Pujols though.

The players producing on the M's were not acquired by Jedi, yet ironically Pujols was. What point are you trying to make? 

2 hours ago, cezero said:

I'm not going to get into anything about Dipoto on here because you all are crazy. 

But I will say that I like the culture Servais has created in the clubhouse. Winning makes everything better, of course, but the approach that McClendon had was crazy. He called out Cano for daring to talk to other players about hitting for the love of all that is good. Last night, 4 of the guys in the clubhouse were facetiming Felix, who's recovering in Seattle.  

I'm trying to find out more on this, but I've heard from a few people already that Scioscia and Servais didn't like each other. Mostly stemming from Sosh turning a deaf ear to Scott Servais' input, along with Dipoto. 

26 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm trying to find out more on this, but I've heard from a few people already that Scioscia and Servais didn't like each other. Mostly stemming from Sosh turning a deaf ear to Scott Servais' input, along with Dipoto. 

One of the articles around the time he left said that Scioscia wouldn't let him dress out during spring training and participate in drills, something he did in Texas. 

Seemed silly at the time, but especially so when I saw pictures of Bud Black in uniform during ST. 

2 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Trumbo is just not an AL West type of player. Stick him in the AL East where teams really have to fear his power in those small ball parks and he will hit. Last season Seattle was counting on Trumbo playing defense in a ballpark made for defensive oriented players. His entire game was working against him in Seattle. As for the trade itself, you can only get what other teams are willing to give up for the guy. Coming off the years he has had outside of Anaheim and that just isn't all that much.

35 HRS

100 RBI'S

85 RUNS

I agree with some of the points you made but ...

3 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Giving DiPoto credit for Seattle at this point is like blaming Eppler for the Angels.  I realize DiPoto is a polarizing guy around here but when you get down to it he wasn't able to do the job he wanted to do with the Angels.  His moves as GM of the Angels definitely weren't all winners but it's hard to say what he would have done had been able to implement his plan.  Plenty of blame to go around and since he's with Seattle now I hope they suck since it would be to the benefit of the Angels.  

F'n EpPler!

3 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I give props to Eppler from what I've seen so far, but don't blame Dipoto for quitting if he was not allowed to implement his program.  The GM should outrank the manager.  Judge Dipoto on how he does in Seattle under his terms. If Eppler is successful it probably means he's flexible and can adapt to unique situations.

20 minutes ago, nando714 said:

The Angels were doing that last season and were in first place in late july

the mariners aren't tested

It's true the Mariner's strength of schedule stats are in the bottom 5, but even rating systems that take that into account like RPI or SRS still rank them highly.

We've been hearing M's hype for years. I refuse to believe it until game 162.