• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto - Mariners

Dipoto was liked for one reason:

He wasn't Mike Scioscia.  

His track record on trades was good and bad.  His ability to persuade the owner was bad.  His ability to build a farm was horse shit.  Remember how much everyone hated the Taylor Ward draft?  International signings?  Baldoquin.  He also pretty much ignored the defensive side of the game.

The dude said the right things then did the wrong things.  

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The ultimate Dipoto point and counterpoint can be summed up in one name:

Mark Trumbo

he traded him once and got a very nice return, traded him again for basically nothing but salary relief.  

Mostly because Kevin Towers orchestrated the Trumbo trade, Jerry just had to answer the phone.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2016 at 7:48 AM, Inside Pitch said:

Mostly because Kevin Towers orchestrated the Trumbo trade, Jerry just had to answer the phone.

If Jerry would have held out for Eaton or Quintana, rather than Santiago, along with Skaggs, it would have been a win.

So far we got an inconsistent starter and a prospect southpaw who cannot stay healthy and is struggling to return from TJ, nearly two years after the surgery. 

On 5/27/2016 at 4:20 PM, Pucknut22 said:

The part that is confusing for me is that Dipoto wanted to use metrics and Scioscia did not. This was a big part of contention between the two. Now this year Scioscia and the Angel staff are going metrics crazy.  They lead the league in shifts. Here is another point I see watching many games around the league as well as every Angel and Giant games. Teams that enforce the shift why do they not move when there are two strikes on a batter? I have noticed many hitters with 2 strikes going to contact mode and when pitchers pitch them away they just punch it in the hole. Why not just move back to standard shift when a hitter has 2 strikes? 

The only possible explanation:

Scioscia has been replaced with a robot. RoboScios is loaded with all the latest sabermetrics data.

14 minutes ago, Puget Sound Angel said:

The Mariners fattened up on a relatively early schedule of Twins, Athletics, Padres, Astros, for the first two months of the season. I told everyone, wait till June when the competition gets harder. As a result they are in a free fall losing 13 of their last 10 games.

That's really quite the free fall.

43 minutes ago, cezero said:

it's been a precipitous drop

correlation isn't causation, but it started pretty much the instant that felix went away

tough times for m's fans, but honestly, i thought this team would hover around the .500 mark, so anything above that is good for me

can't wait to see what jedi does over the next couple of years with a supportive ownership group financially, and that will also stay out of his hair with drafting completely. 

That's ironic because I remember the M's fans here stating Felix had almost nothing to do with their success in the Jedi thread. 

32 minutes ago, Puget Sound Angel said:

The Mariners fattened up on a relatively early schedule of Twins, Athletics, Padres, Astros, for the first two months of the season. I told everyone, wait till June when the competition gets harder. As a result they are in a free fall losing 13 of their last 10 games.

I suppose if any team can do the impossible, it would be the Mariners.

This has been a 24 game stretch where the Mariners have outscored their opponents by 7 runs. Pythag expectation had us winning 13 in this stretch but we only won 8.

We have been 0-8 in 1 run games. Luck won't necessarily change, but I wouldn't expect us to be THIS bad the rest of the season.

The sweep by the Twins was inexcusable and horrid. We were swept by Texas who is beating EVERYONE currently. We split a series with the Indians. Won a series against Baltimore. Lost a series to Boston ... but one was a 2-1 loss. And we got walked off 8-7 by the Tigers last night.

Felix is hurt. Wade Miley is hurt. Taijuan Walker will hit the DL next (I am assuming). We are likely fucked.

No one in this division will catch Texas now ... but our season isn't over as we're only 2.5 games out of a Wildcard spot nearing the Allstar break.

Don't get me wrong ... I'm unhappy as hell about our performance lately, but you really shouldn't be gloating about our precipitous fall when you're still quite a bit below.