• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto - Mariners

I guess I can be categorized as team Dipoto but I'm really not. I just think it was bullshit he wasn't able to do his job here. Anyway that's not the point. I saw a couple posts saying the Mariners are thriving with all the moves he made. 

No chance

Walker finally figured it out which has been huge and Cano is having a good season after last year's disaster. He traded for a couple ok starters in Karns and Miley and he stripped the bullpen which was great last year and has only been so-so this year. All his pickups have been blah or bad. Ianetta was off to a hot start but has cooled down. Many Mariner fans wanted Lind gone. Aoki has been ok. But no one has really done anything. 

Their schedule has been easy and the real threat is the Rangers. The Angels just need to hang around. I don't believe in the Mariners just yet

11 minutes ago, Cammie said:

Leonys Martin had an OPS in the low .600s less than two weeks ago. I'd give him a bit longer to prove it before singing his praises too loudly. 

And he had a .774 a month ago. Obviously OPS fluctuates throughout the year, and he's on a bit of a hot streak right now. 

The part that is confusing for me is that Dipoto wanted to use metrics and Scioscia did not. This was a big part of contention between the two. Now this year Scioscia and the Angel staff are going metrics crazy.  They lead the league in shifts. Here is another point I see watching many games around the league as well as every Angel and Giant games. Teams that enforce the shift why do they not move when there are two strikes on a batter? I have noticed many hitters with 2 strikes going to contact mode and when pitchers pitch them away they just punch it in the hole. Why not just move back to standard shift when a hitter has 2 strikes? 

34 minutes ago, Lou said:

he's a quitter 

Pretty well sums it it for me.  He had some good ideas, but didn't know how to make friends and influence people to get results.  As long as he has his puppets he will do fine if his ideas are sound.  My impression is that he's not necessarily a good listener, but more of a my way or the highway guy.  Good luck to him, but not my style.

25 minutes ago, elixir said:

Jerry was fired. Just like many coaches who got the axed in the last year or 2. The new fire is stepping down, cuz it helps with PR on both sides, after Jerry led them to the playoffs previously and the debacle locker room shenanigans by Sosh and leaking it out to the media. Seattle is in 1st place, Jerry is sitting pretty right now. Arti fired the wrong guy

No, he quit when he overstepped his bounds and got called out for it by the players. Sorry to ruin the narrstive.

Lets be honest. The reason dipoto was liked on here (including me) wasnt because of what he did...its because he said the right things to a fanbase who laughed at tony reagins. He was everything we had been lacking, ie, a sabr guy. 

He did some good things, he did some bad things. But he was put on a pedestal by a lot of us simply because we were so desperate to have a front office that followed advanced stats finally.

He wasnt well liked by a lot of people in the org, not just sosh, and ill leave it at that. (And i still consider myself team jerry, not team sosh)

1 hour ago, elixir said:

Jerry was fired. Just like many coaches who got the axed in the last year or 2. The new fire is stepping down, cuz it helps with PR on both sides, after Jerry led them to the playoffs previously and the debacle locker room shenanigans by Sosh and leaking it out to the media. Seattle is in 1st place, Jerry is sitting pretty right now. Arti fired the wrong guy

Lucky for you, I've already used my one negative reputation allotment for the day.

Posting AGAIN that Jerry was fired will not make it true.

2 hours ago, elixir said:

Hmmmm interesting point.

Unfortunately, you are completely wrong. 

Good story -- I love fan fiction.  

Jerry was fired

Hmmmm interesting point.

Unfortunately, you are completely wrong. 

Some people believe the Moon Landings never happened, and the Holocaust was made up.  Also that George Bush planned the 9/11 attacks.  It's a fact that Dipoto quit, but he did us, and himself, a favor in the end. 

Jerry wasn't fired.  They really wanted him to stay.  Doesn't mean he was anything close to having the conventional position of GM and it's likely he's got a lot more say now than he did.  Whether Jerry was a good GM is hard to say, but it's clear he wasn't the right GM for this team.  There aren't many who could be actually.  Hopefully, Eppler is better at working within the confines of our unconventional setup.  I completely understand his reasons for walking away but that doesn't mean he wasn't part of why it happened.