• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rangers getting new retractable roof park

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/05/20/texas-rangers-to-get-a-new-retractable-roof-ballpark/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo&ref=yfp

Super nice park, but it can be really hot in summer.  Evidently the heat is taking a bite in attendance.  

Plus, the existing park is caddy corner to the Dallas Cowboys stadium, which probably presents parking problems if both teams are playing the same day.

I remember CJ Wilson saying he took 2 IVs before his starts there.  I also remember Jared Weaver having trouble pitching in the extreme heat.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Sure it was dumb to not build Globe Life Park with a retractable roof to handle that heat.

But to replace it after only some 25+ years?     First the Braves and now the Rangers?

I guess ballparks have a small shelf life now?

Rumor is Dallas was feeling out the Rangers about a downtown ballpark and the Rangers know Arlington will bend over backward (or just bend over) to keep them,

When the Ballpark at Arlington the cost of a retractable roof was seen as prohibitive and the technology of such beasts was nowhere near as advanced as it is today. As such, the choice to eschew a roof was understandable, even if has led to a couple of decades of Rangers fans sweltering in sometimes dangerous heat.

Doesn't anyone ever proof read their articles anymore? 

31 minutes ago, nate said:

Crazy that a 22 year old stadium is the 11th oldest.  A several hundred million dollar stadium is obsolete...

Yeah, I was going to say.  That stadium doesn't seem that old. 

Of course it has to go to a vote from taxpayers first.  If it's anything like the environment in California where increase in taxes are like a punch in the balls, it might have problems passing. 

4 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Yeah, I was going to say.  That stadium doesn't seem that old. 

Of course it has to go to a vote from taxpayers first.  If it's anything like the environment in California where increase in taxes are like a punch in the balls, it might have problems passing. 

Yeah, but sports. 

13 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

good for them.

its ridiculously hot there in the dead of summer.

probably good for the team too, they tend to wilt as the heat wears on them.

There are scientific studies linking hot weather bringing out more violent behavior in society.

Odor%20punch%20reaction

When the Rangers build the new stadium they need to set the thermostat to 62 degrees.

I've been to Minute Maid Park with the retractable roof and Globe Life Park is much nicer.  But the sun is intense, especially in left field at Globe, and I had to use sunscreen.

Minute Maid is a ball park squeezed into a rectangular structure.  If you get a cheap seat in left field it is hot when the roof was closed.  In the 7th or 8th inning they retract the roof and the air conditioning finally reaches those seats. These fans can't see balls hit in the left field corner.  If you get a seat around home plate it is cool and comfortable, and you can see everything.   

Edited by California Cajun

I remember reading about some city in Texas financing a $22M High School football stadium. 

Edited by rallycat