• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2016 MLB Draft Thread

Blarg

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I missed this whole thread. Anyone want to give me a brief synopsis, did we do better this year than last (at least potential wise)

I'm not super big on our first pick, but I can't remember the last time I was this pleased with our second round and beyond selections. Obviously who know how it will all turn out of course, I hope they manage to sign most of these guys.

It really is quite a sight when looking back on the drafts from 2012 to 2015 under JD watch.  

Even in 2010 where we whiffed on the first round for the most part we still have some potential with Cowart and Bedrosian, and we got Calhoun.  We also drafted a guy by the name of Josh Osich who we never signed and he's a reliever for SF who had a solid year in 2015 but is struggling a bit this year.  And AJ Shugel is a not so good reliever for PIT this year.  

2011 we got Cron and Bandy who are serviceable.  Clevinger likely ends up a decent starter.  Otherwise, there are only a handful of guys that are even still playing.  

2012 lacked a first or second round pick and it showed.  There was nothing.  zero.  In fact, less than zero.  A combine -2.0 WAR from 3 players.  

2013 might end up as one of the worst drafts in the history of this franchise.  I hope Nate Smith can do some good stuff because otherwise, we might not have another player in this draft that even sees time in the majors.  

2014 I came away from this draft feeling pretty good.  Ellis may end up the gem.  Newcomb isn't getting better even though he'll likely be a dominant reliever at the very least.  Gatto, Rhoades, Jewel, Abbot are a wreck.  Bo Way has back up OFer potential.  His high floor of course.  Yacinich might end up a util IFer.  His floor of course.  Jordan Kipper is the secret weapon here.  Fingers crossed.  

2015 Jury still out, but there is some potential.  A little anyway.  I still have hope. 

Granted, 3 first round picks during those 5 yrs doesn't help compared to 10 alone for 2009 and 2010.  

44 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Thanks for the breakdown guys. So our first pick underwhelmed again i take it?

I think it was more PTSD when they announced Thaiss in that he's a catcher and he went a shade earlier than expected.  But if you look at the first 6 rounds instead of just the first pick in a vacuum, then it makes sense and I like it.  

A legit college bat.  Some say the second best college bat in the draft.  Followed by 3 high schoolers with upside.  2 of which have superstar upside.  Granted, 5-10% odd of that happening, but big time possibility.  Followed by four more guys with upside albeit to a lesser degree.  Three JR college position players at skill positions (SS, CF and 2b), and another HS pitcher.    

Here is an interesting tid bit on Cole Duensing.  At the age of 16, he was 6'0", 135lb and his fastball topped out at 81mph per one of the older scouting reports.  As of the draft (turns 18 in about a week), he is 6'4", 175lb and throws 91-93.  

High expectations for any draft is two legit major leaugers.  Anything more than that is gravy.  

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Thanks for the breakdown guys. So our first pick underwhelmed again i take it?

It was a high confidence signing pick and he is a player that can likely join the Major League team in 2018-2019 as a catcher, corner outfielder or even 1B/DH. The money that we will likely save with him can be given to some of these early/mid rounders to help ensure they sign.

The Angels HAVE to fill their system and those uncommitted types out there probably weren't to the Angels liking so they will probably spend a touch less on their 1st pick to spread money out to the later rounds to better ensure signings happen.

As I said before the player the Red Sox picked (Goode or Groode or whatever) is a guy that wants a lot of money or he won't sign. The Angels probably steered clear of those types even though they have a bit more talent.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

It was a high confidence signing pick and he is a player that can likely join the Major League team in 2018-2019 as a catcher, corner outfielder or even 1B/DH. The money that we will likely save with him can be given to some of these early/mid rounders to help ensure they sign.

The Angels HAVE to fill their system and those uncommitted types out there probably weren't to the Angels liking so they will probably spend a touch less on their 1st pick to spread money out to the later rounds to better ensure signings happen.

As I said before the player the Red Sox picked (Goode or Groode or whatever) is a guy that wants a lot of money or he won't sign. The Angels probably steered clear of those types even though they have a bit more talent.

Red Sox can take that risk with Groome though. Their system is DEEP

This draft leaves me giddy. Finally drafting some wildcard HS guys. Hope we can sign them all or most of them. 

That with the prospects we will get soon for be sellers should put our system back in decent shape. This will also give us a really good draft slot next year. Things are looking up (in 2019 or so)!

9 hours ago, KevinJ14 said:

Red Sox can take that risk with Groome though. Their system is DEEP

Yes that is exactly my point we couldn't afford the risk if Groome didn't sign with us. We would have looked stupid.

Round 11 - http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=brennon-lund  Brennon Lund, CF - BYU 

Round 12 - http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=bo-tucker  Bo Tucker, LHP -  Georgia

Round 13 - http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=348972 Anthony Molina, RHP - West Broward HS

Round 14 - http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=379324 Francisco De Valle, OF -  Puerto Rico Baseball Academy

Round 15 - http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=mike-kaelin Mike Kaelin, RHP - U of Buffalo

Lots of scouting videos for these guys on Youtube...  Also, Lund, DeValle and Molina have videos on the draft tracker page at mlb.com

Angels 21st rounder is LJ Kalawaia. Write up from a local paper.

"He ran a 6.6-second 60-yard dash at a Major League Baseball showcase last fall, which is extremely fast. His hitting numbers are impressive across the board: .395 batting average, 5 homers, 51 RBIs, .505 on-base percentage, 19 stolen bases in 24 attempts, five outfield assists from right field, all in 40 games. "

So after a couple days of going after the high-upside prep players, it looks live they've shifted back a little bit towards high-floor, safe signs like college seniors. Seems like they pursued a few college players who were teammates together too. 

Hopefully by drafting so many college seniors and going with Thiass in the first round, it'll give them enough wiggle room financially to go after the HSers.