• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2016 MLB Draft Thread

Blarg

The consensus is that Thaiss will likely go for slightly under slot, as will Marsh. If we're going to make a splash on an upside sign ability pick, the third round would be the best time to do it. Some fringe first round guys will slip like that. 

A friend of mine actually slipped from  rumored supplemental round to the 11th round so that his price tag wouldn't adversely effect the team's slot money. He ended up getting paid on par with a 4th rounder. He was hesitant to sign but it was his junior year of college, and he didn't want to lose that bargaining advantage as a senior.

Long story but the point is, guys slip all the time and if a team comes near their asking price regardless of spot drafted, they will sometimes sign. The only one I can think of with the Angels that wouldn't accept the money was Matt Harvey, which ended up being a good decision.

15 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Who are some player comparisons you guys think for Thaiss and Marsh?

Not sure about Marsh although some of things said about him were said about Chevy Clarke too in terms of potential ceiling.

Thaiss seems like he has a touch of Joe Mauer in him in regards to the plate discipline. Matt clearly doesn't have Mauer's full defensive skill set but he might have a bit more power potential. To be clear I don't think he's Mauer but it seems like he has some part of his skill set.

9 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Does anyone think that Marsh may decide to go back to school?

Marsh made it as clear as anyone can make it, that he's going to sign with the Angels. There's a chance they already have an agreed upon price, which is why they took him in the 2nd round.

2 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I would like to see us take more position players in the early rounds. We have an absolute dearth of them in the organization, and it would be good to fill out the ranks with some guys who can hit.

This takes me to a question.    Which is usually easier to improve through the minors?    A player's hitting?   Or their defense? 

1 minute ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Marsh made it as clear as anyone can make it, that he's going to sign with the Angels. There's a chance they already have an agreed upon price, which is why they took him in the 2nd round.

I wonder if this factors into taking Thaiss with the #16 pick, when he was projected no better than #28 except for one publication.

Freeing up a little more slot money to get Marsh signed?

Williams pick makes sense, especially if the Halos don't intend on re-signing Simmons after 2020.

Where did he commit for college?   Will it take a little extra slot money to get him signed?    Even more reason that they took Thaiss in the 1st round?  

They seem to be getting back towards higher ceiling picks (Thaiss aside) this season. 

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Fun pick right there.  Who knows how he ends up, but certainly adds interest and could be one of the highest upside guys in the entire draft.  

AGreed. Love seeing the Halos taking some swings here looking for those high ceiling/upside guys after years of safe floor, low ceiling college types.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Williams pick makes sense, especially if the Halos don't intend on re-signing Simmons after 2020.

Where did he commit for college?   Will it take a little extra slot money to get him signed?    Even more reason that they took Thaiss in the 1st round?  

LSU commit