• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2016 MLB Draft Thread

Blarg

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Personally I can't wait until some bonehead pitcher tosses a meatball across the plate and Connor knocks it out of the park so I can say "Justus has been served!"

20 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Chris Rodriguez seems to have that Ubaldo Jimenez type arm cocking motion in his delivery.

Nice video! .... I did notice a tell on his stretch....Which they will work out. when he was going home his lead foot was closed.... Later on when he was throwing to first his lead foot was straight.... Just a little mental tell. Obviously, he was focused on what he was doing and there were no actual runners on. I'm stating he may not do that in a game he just did it while throwing a bully. So, it could be nothing..But, usually you practice and do what you normally would. Which is why i pointed it out. Otherwise, looks pretty good by this vid.

1 hour ago, bloodbrother said:

Meanwhile, the Mariners have taken 4 college prospects with their first 5 picks so far this year

No. Our 2nd pick, Joe Rizzo (#50), is a high schooler. And our first pick with Lewis was a no-brainer.

edit : My bad. Read this wrong.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

This takes me to a question.    Which is usually easier to improve through the minors?    A player's hitting?   Or their defense? 

I think this question relates to what we're seeing in this draft.  New GM prioritizing hitters with a certain range of tendencies, i.e. good plate discipline and ability to put the ball in play.  Seems like your answer is there, at least from Eppler's perspective.

I like it too, for the record.  If I were stacking an org, I'd favor coaching up those raw kids myself, and if I had concerns about my coaching staffs with those minor league teams producing disciplined hitters I'd favor those tendencies in the draft.

Seems like how Eppler's leaning at least from my arm chair.

17 minutes ago, Angels N Skins said:

Angels pick Cole Duensing RHP. Another HS player

6’4″ 170 great pitcher’s frame and shoulders. Loose arm that works and is quick. Easy repeatable mechanics and throws quality strikes. Works 89-91 mph with a few 92’s and 93’s mixed in. Slight arm side run, and  works away from RHH. Good 11/5 breaking pitch with late, tight spin. Change up that so far is a good beginner pitch, ranging from 73-75 mph with some arm side run and fade.

A lil report from http://kchighschoolbaseballnotes.com/top-kansas-city-mlb-draft-follows-for-june-2016/

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Is it too early to put to rest who made the call to scout/pursue high floor low ceiling college players?    What a complete 180 from what we had been subjected to in recent years.

still going with college players, but 50/50 pitching/position.  if it works out for them, does it mean that our scouts just suck?

17 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Exactly.  Cron was playing in a much more competitive league too.  Cron was a catcher too.  I think the only difference I see here is that Cron played in VERY hitter friendly fields, whereas quite a few of the SEC fields from what I understand are a little harder.  It's heavier air and the ball doesn't travel like it does out west. 

Ah yes, how could we forget about the powerhouses of the United States Air Force Academy, BYU, Colorado State University, University of New Mexico, University of Wyoming, and the U of U. Thaiss could end up being a very solid pick and I think he's a very different player than Cron (despite their similar defensive shortcomings). Jonathan Mayo had him as high as #12 to the Sox, John Manuel had him as high as #18 and liked the pick in general, hell, Keith Law had him  at #21 and his opinion is the one I value the most. 

3 minutes ago, nikkachez said:

Ah yes, how could we forget about the powerhouses of the United States Air Force Academy, BYU, Colorado State University, University of New Mexico, University of Wyoming, and the U of U. Thaiss could end up being a very solid pick and I think he's a very different player than Cron (despite their similar defensive shortcomings). Jonathan Mayo had him as high as #12 to the Sox, John Manuel had him as high as #18 and liked the pick in general, hell, Keith Law had him  at #21 and his opinion is the one I value the most. 

Keith Law said he wouldn't trade Jose Rondon straight up for Huston Street. 

I'm never been a big fan of his opinion to be honest.