• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2016 MLB Draft Thread

Blarg

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Williams pick makes sense, especially if the Halos don't intend on re-signing Simmons after 2020.

Where did he commit for college?   Will it take a little extra slot money to get him signed?    Even more reason that they took Thaiss in the 1st round?  

Seems like the type that is gonna go over slot.  

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

When I read plus bat speed, plus foot speed and raw power, I get excited. 

They also mentioned on the live stream that he's committed to trying to become a switch-hitter too which would possibly add more value if he can develop his swing from the left side.

Nolan (Nonie) Williams, SS, Turner (Kansas City, KS)
Ht/Wt: 6’2″/195 | B/T: R/R | Age (as of 2016 draft date): 18y, 0m

Nonie Williams elected to reclassify as a 2016 draft-eligible player last May and immediately increased his draft stock by virtue of upgrading from a 19-year old 2017 draftee to a 2016 draftee turning 18 just a couple weeks prior to the MLB Draft.  During his Super 60 workout, Williams showed athletic actions in the infield, and an arm that should easily play on the left side. He is comfortable and instinctual in his actions, giving him a good shot to stick at the six-spot at the next level. The LSU commit showed fluidity in his swings during his BP session, with a good feel for the barrel and compact cuts geared for contact. Though listed as a right-handed bat, he takes capable cuts from both sides of the dish with a hit tool that projects well.  Williams ran a 6.57 60-yard dash, which is consistent with the plus to double-plus speed he has shown previously in both showcase and game settings. It’s a versatile profile with first-division upside.

At one time he projected as a 1st rounder...maybe the LSU commitment scared teams away.

Now drafting Thaiss in 1st round makes more sense...more $'s to spend on lower draft choices.

All the reports I've read say he can stick at SS in the majors too.

3 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Nolan (Nonie) Williams, SS, Turner (Kansas City, KS)
Ht/Wt: 6’2″/195 | B/T: R/R | Age (as of 2016 draft date): 18y, 0m

Nonie Williams elected to reclassify as a 2016 draft-eligible player last May and immediately increased his draft stock by virtue of upgrading from a 19-year old 2017 draftee to a 2016 draftee turning 18 just a couple weeks prior to the MLB Draft.  During his Super 60 workout, Williams showed athletic actions in the infield, and an arm that should easily play on the left side. He is comfortable and instinctual in his actions, giving him a good shot to stick at the six-spot at the next level. The LSU commit showed fluidity in his swings during his BP session, with a good feel for the barrel and compact cuts geared for contact. Though listed as a right-handed bat, he takes capable cuts from both sides of the dish with a hit tool that projects well.  Williams ran a 6.57 60-yard dash, which is consistent with the plus to double-plus speed he has shown previously in both showcase and game settings. It’s a versatile profile with first-division upside.

At one time he projected as a 1st rounder...maybe the LSU commitment scared teams away.

Now drafting Thaiss in 1st round makes more sense...more $'s to spend on lower draft choices.

All the reports I've read say he can stick at SS in the majors too.

Fantastic! 

So far I like the Eppler/Wilson duo in the draft room. 

Most excited I've been about Angels draft since 2010. Three athletic picks with upside.

BTW - Thaiss is not Cron.  I live in Richmond, Va and have seen him play at UVa.  Thaiss can flat out rake and is much more athletic than Cron.  Calhoun comparison much better though Thaiss is more of a singles / doubles hitter right now.

Under Eppler, Angels have taken a HS player with three of their first four picks.Under Dipoto, they took a combined 17 HS kids from 2012-15.

That was also part of Dipoto's plan, tho -- re-fill the system with safer college picks who rise fast, then you can take shots with HS guys.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Is it too early to put to rest who made the call to scout/pursue high floor low ceiling college players?    What a complete 180 from what we had been subjected to in recent years.

I was just gonna post something similar.  

This approach may not work either, but it just seems like more fun.  

33 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Most excited I've been about Angels draft since 2010. Three athletic picks with upside.

BTW - Thaiss is not Cron.  I live in Richmond, Va and have seen him play at UVa.  Thaiss can flat out rake and is much more athletic than Cron.  Calhoun comparison much better though Thaiss is more of a singles / doubles hitter right now.

Wasn't Calhoun also more of that type of hitter at ASU (line drive hitter)?

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Is it too early to put to rest who made the call to scout/pursue high floor low ceiling college players?    What a complete 180 from what we had been subjected to in recent years.

Meanwhile, the Mariners have taken 4 college prospects with their first 5 picks so far this year

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

FWIW -- high floor low ceiling arms.. fine.    Doubling down on the bats too..   Not so much...   Onward and upward hopefully.

hated that part the worst.  An arm can end up in the pen.  High floor, low ceiling bats end up on the high floor.