• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2016 MLB Draft Thread

Blarg

1 hour ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Exactly.  Cron was playing in a much more competitive league too.  Cron was a catcher too.  I think the only difference I see here is that Cron played in VERY hitter friendly fields, whereas quite a few of the SEC fields from what I understand are a little harder.  It's heavier air and the ball doesn't travel like it does out west. 

In what planet was the Mountain West Conference a more competitive conference than the ACC?   

UM, FSU, Clemson, Louisville, VA , VTech.....     The MWC was never in the same league as the ACC, SEC or the PAC 10, now 12.    Utah didnt move to the Pac 12 until after Cron was gone...   

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=C.J.-Cron

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/seasons/review.asp?Y=2010&L=MWC     

LOL, I was out on some errands tonight and had 1090 AM on the radio, the Padres station. I don't know what the show was, but they went through every single pitcher the team drafted since 1977, and the only one who contributed to the team in any way was Andy Benes. He was an All-Star for one year (1993). I didn't recognize any of the other pitchers, and the vast majority never made it to the majors. Oh, there was Matt Bush, but he took 12 years to get up here and is pitching for the Rangers.

The point was, the draft can be a crapshoot, especially as far as pitchers are concerned. I guess another point is the Padres are not a good organization.

(edited to correct a date)

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

LOL, I was out on some errands tonight and had 1090 AM on the radio, the Padres station. I don't know what the show was, but they went through every single pitcher the team drafted since the beginning of the franchise, and the only one who contributed to the team in any way was Andy Benes. He was an All-Star for one year (1993). I didn't recognize any of the other pitchers, and the vast majority never made it to the majors. Oh, there was Matt Bush, but he took 12 years to get up here and is pitching for the Rangers.

The point was, the draft can be a crapshoot, especially as far as pitchers are concerned. I guess another point is the Padres are not a good organization.

Who drafted Randy Jones?

16 minutes ago, Lou said:

huh?

Cron played in the Mountain West Conference, where only 2 teams were over .500 in conference play. New Mexico, 10-14 in conf. and 20-41 overall, won the MWC tournament. 

I'm talking about the continually underrated MWC that produces top notch talent on a yearly basis and is typically on constant competition with the Pac-12 schools.  At the amateur level, baseball out West is better is pretty much every way than it is back east. 

Both these picks make a lot of sense for a team like the Angels that needs the right combination of finding a good enough player that will actually sign and help fill our barren farm system. If Groome had actually fallen all the way to us I really think we would have passed on him because he is looked at as a difficult signing and we couldn't afford to flop on our 1st round pick and have the #30 system for sure next year too.

Thaiss makes sense as a possible quick system development player to add to the team in 2018 as the Angels seem sunk this year and are preparing to sell.

Marsh is more of a long term piece that can potentially join the team in the 2020'ish time frame.

The draft is supposed to be deep with college starters and some OF's so I wouldn't be surprised if we start picking some of those up tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, elixir said:

I want a ball player, not a DH who never been tested in the majors. Bring back the guy who drafted Trout!

How do you know Thaiss is only going to be a DH?  How do you know he won't hit as well as Trout?  Trout was an uncertain commodity once like Thaiss, and drafted 10 positions lower.  As a GM you put scouting personnel in place to do a job in the manner you want it done, you don't hire them because they scouted one player that produced someone who is successful and you happen to like.  And if you're waiting for someone who has been "tested in the majors" to appear in the draft, good luck to you.

Hey guys, just wanted to say I was in a mood tonight. I'm sorry. A lot of what I said was crap. The east coast has fantastic prospects just as everywhere else. Baseball is a talent found everywhere.

And the guys we drafted, I'll study then as much as possible before making any legitimate claims. I'm hoping its Calhoun and Zimmer version 2.

if it counts for anything, preliminarily, I have Thaiss and Walsh at #1 and 4, but again, I'll need to do a lot more groundwork before justifying anything.

Again, sorry guys.