• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2016 MLB Draft Thread

Blarg

9 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Hey guys, just wanted to say I was in a mood tonight. I'm sorry. A lot of what I said was crap. The east coast has fantastic prospects just as everywhere else. Baseball is a talent found everywhere.

And the guys we drafted, I'll study then as much as possible before making any legitimate claims. I'm hoping its Calhoun and Zimmer version 2.

if it counts for anything, preliminarily, I have Thaiss and Walsh at #1 and 4, but again, I'll need to do a lot more groundwork before justifying anything.

Again, sorry guys.

All good mang.. we all tend to be reactionary about these things. I know my first response after seeing we drafted a catcher was. 

5 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Hey guys, just wanted to say I was in a mood tonight. I'm sorry. A lot of what I said was crap. The east coast has fantastic prospects just as everywhere else. Baseball is a talent found everywhere.

And the guys we drafted, I'll study then as much as possible before making any legitimate claims. I'm hoping its Calhoun and Zimmer version 2.

if it counts for anything, preliminarily, I have Thaiss and Walsh at #1 and 4, but again, I'll need to do a lot more groundwork before justifying anything.

Again, sorry guys.

Good show, Sir.

So when it's all said and done, the Angels got two top 60 talents with their picks, Marsh had been ranked as high as 40th on pure talent by BBA -- fittingly they were both position players.

Jim Callis of BBA and now MLB.com writes this..  http://m.mlb.com/news/article/183086774/mlb-draft-pick-by-pick-selections-analysis

16. Los Angeles Angels: C Matt Thaiss, Virginia
Callis: Thaiss rivals Senzel as perhaps the best pure hitter in this college draft class. There is power in there, too, and I don't think there is much question he's going to hit at the big league level. On the other hand, there are a lot of concerns about whether he'll receive well enough to catch there. My guess is he winds up at first base and the good news with that is he'll be able to maximize his potential at the plate.

Meanwhile someone at SB Nation had this to write prior to the draft touting Marsh as a good pick for the Braves with their pick at 40th overall 

http://www.talkingchop.com/2016/6/9/11892184/2016-mlb-draft-why-the-braves-should-target-brandon-marsh-at-40th-overall

"Marsh has also had workouts and gauged interest from the Milwaukee Brewers, Los Angeles Angels, San Diego Padres, Philadelphia Phillies and Boston Red Sox, but if he’s available at 40th overall, the Braves should emerge as the front-runner based on the flair that comes with signing a potential local star. "

So, it appears the Angels had some intel on Marsh going into the draft and at the very least he had a bit of interaction with the club.  Hopefully this leads to a quick signing.

The draft is a massive crap-shoot, we all know this...  But given the state of our farm system, I'm pretty content with our first two picks, one a polished college bat who's considered an extremely safe bet and then a risk/reward hitter.  

6 hours ago, elixir said:

I want a ball player, not a DH who never been tested in the majors. Bring back the guy who drafted Trout!

Yes, we need to get more draft eligible MLB tested players on the roster.   Maybe a few recently waived superstars that we can sign at league minimum, too.   Also, let's get a unicorn to play LF...   

"We had an exciting day today," said Angels Director of Scouting, Ric Wilson. "We started out with one of the top hitters in this year's draft, and backed that up with Brandon [Marsh] who is a high ceiling guy with a lot of tools."

You know I don't know anything about any of these guys and I'm hopeful they'll turn out well but I have to say I laughed when they announced our first pick and said he was a catcher. Obviously they see him playing somewhere else but I was just like "wtf"

2 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

You know I don't know anything about any of these guys and I'm hopeful they'll turn out well but I have to say I laughed when they announced our first pick and said he was a catcher. Obviously they see him playing somewhere else but I was just like "wtf"

I think that was most of our reactions. 

11 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

A -- Relax...

B -- You're the last person to EVER tell ANYONE not to toot their own horn ..  So can it...

C -- I've been right A LOT...   All the way back to the AOL Angels board.   I could spend a lot of time tooting my horn right now or you can ask Tank or Brian or anyone who remembers when I did exactly what you were do now.    CBS Sportsline, Real Fans Networks, Stats Inc...  I penned stories for each of those sites...  writing articles about Angels prospects was my thing.. you should have seen my rantings about the Angels and their piss poor usage of pitchers and extreme pitcher abuse and injury record...   So, while you got your panties into a bunch over my reminding you of your Cron talk..  You should have seen how much I liked Keith Luuloa....   

Anyway....  I made a joke -- because depending on which version of Cron you were comping him to -- it could be very good or very bad.   The really funny thing is .. I think he's a workable player even as a Shea clone and I WISH he actually could tap into that power and be the guy you thought he would grow into.

I seriously want someone to explain to me how someone with his power fails to translate it into games...  its nutty.

I want to say you also posted on the Angels Scout forum as well...

8 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I would like to see us take more position players in the early rounds. We have an absolute dearth of them in the organization, and it would be good to fill out the ranks with some guys who can hit.

This draft is said to be rather weak in position players. Expect to see more pitchers picked through the 10th round.

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Does anyone have any guesses or hopefuls for this next pick?

Has there been any top talent slip due to signability concerns or because of injury issues?

Would you gamble here with either of those scenarios?

Whether or not we gamble depends on what kind of deals we anticipate/have in place with our first two picks. If we have some spare cash, absolutely we should gamble (but I don't know of any major players to slip). If not, we should gamble on the highest upside players we can get.

8 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Does anyone have any guesses or hopefuls for this next pick?

Has there been any top talent slip due to signability concerns or because of injury issues?

Would you gamble here with either of those scenarios?

I think the Angels approach this draft allows for that possibility Chuck since they reached slightly for Thaiss.

Because the class is deep in terms of decent, above average players, it wouldn't surprise me to see them pick up one or two players with 3rd-6th round picks that are considered "steals" at the rounds they are selected?