• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bernie's free college idea

This is what makes it so hard to make tax brackets. What is rich in most parts of America is definitely not rich in NY, CHI, So Cal, SF. Especially when you factor in people in those 4 places are getting taxed even more on the state/local levels than many other parts of America.

exactly. If you make 100K a year, thats huge money to most of the poplulation. That said, if youre paying 2, 2500 a mon5h for rent/mortgage, and are losing 30ish percent to taxes, what you have left over isnt as much as some would think.

Im pro taxes, as like AJ, i agree that the money is going to have to come from somewhere to pay for things like schools, roads, etc. At the same time, it does in a lot of ways punish successful people for success. And like others in here have pointed out, the assumption that people who have made money doing it strictly out of a lucky upbringing is ridiculous.

It's not a matter of being pro or anti taxes.  No government runs on hopes and dreams, patchouli and unicorn farts it's funded by tax dollars.  In the US the largest source is federal income taxes while about 50% of the population has no skin in that game.  The issue is when the federal government continues to run deficits when deficit spending was originally meant to spur growth during recessions but it's become a way of life for 3+ decades now.  When candidates come out talking about free college, free or subsidized health insurance and so on it's to buy votes for something there's already no money to pay for.  I'm fine with the progressive tax system we have but not when they talk about raising taxes to pay for votes many of which come from people who are net takers that get more than they ever put in.  This country doesn't have a revenue problem it has a spending problem and no one really seems to want to address that they'd rather come up with creative ways to screw taxpayers which hits the middle class the most.  

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

My issue is simply you shouldn't be punished for making more money. Using that article about Bernie's tax table, someone making $50k would pay 25%, someone making $500k would pay 39.6%. So instead of the person that makes $500k paying ten times more, which whatever, at least it is the same percentage and I wouldn't get upset about it, I guess. The person making $500k would be paying almost 16 times more than the guy making $50k. Now I don't make either of those amounts, but I certainly wouldn't be ok paying that much of a higher percentage that the other guy. It isn't like I use the streets or the schools or the military 16 times more than the other guy. If anything I would be purchasing more and having my money taken in sales tax. I would be on board with MT and getting rid of income tax and add a sales tax to everything.

Bernie said "public" colleges would be tuition free, not "all" colleges.

Not sure what differentiates colleges between public and private though. But It only takes a little bit of common sense to realize that Harvard and Stanford aren't going to be free....

Cal State Dominguez Hills so Tank can go back and finish his Animal Husbandry degree.

My issue is simply you shouldn't be punished for making more money. Using that article about Bernie's tax table, someone making $50k would pay 25%, someone making $500k would pay 39.6%. So instead of the person that makes $500k paying ten times more, which whatever, at least it is the same percentage and I wouldn't get upset about it, I guess. The person making $500k would be paying almost 16 times more than the guy making $50k. Now I don't make either of those amounts, but I certainly wouldn't be ok paying that much of a higher percentage that the other guy. It isn't like I use the streets or the schools or the military 16 times more than the other guy. If anything I would be purchasing more and having my money taken in sales tax. I would be on board with MT and getting rid of income tax and add a sales tax to everything.

Aren't the taxes progressive? In other words, wouldn't you only get taxed at the 39.6% rate for each dollar you make at and above 500k?

I'm pretty sure i'd take the trade off.

Yes it's a marginal tax rate and the higher you go in each bracket the more your effective tax rate (i.e. total tax rate) goes up.  For 2016 if your taxable income literally just pushes you into the 39.6% tax bracket by $1 your effective federal tax rate is actually 29%.

There's no trade off to take because that's how a progressive tax system which we have in the US works and we're talking about a plan to raise taxes on everyone.  

Bernie only earned $2k in speech money compared to Clinton's $100 million+. And he donated it all to charity. Tells me all I need to know on who I respect more and who I'd rather vote for

Sounds like he passed up a lot of money making opportunities that could have benefited his campaign but luckily it doesn't sound like he's short on donors.  Regardless somebody somewhere is paying for it, tinstaafl.   

In all seriousness that's admirable but I just don't agree with raising taxes.  If I had to vote right now it wouldn't be for any of the R or D candidates.  

Because I missed my lunch with Bernie last week. I wanted to eat at Northwoods Inn but he insisted on Hometown Buffet so that each of us could eat as much of everything on the menu as we wished (and that neither of us would be denied anything available).

Should have had lunch with Tony Reagins instead.