• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bernie's free college idea

are we talking el camino/glendale city college/pasadena city college? how much would tuition at these schools cost taxpayers?

are we talking cal state LA/northridge/ucla? how much would tuition at these schools cost us?

are we talking duke, usc, michigan? how much would tuition at these schools cost us?

i'd be curious to see how much he thinks this would cost. if it's based on free college for anyone who wants it at any school they want to attend, this would cost so much the numbers would be insane.

I'm not sure Bernie's exact plan but he intends to pay for it through various wall street speculation taxes. I'm sure the money is in the budget somewhere. Consider the 6 trillion we've squandered in Iraq. How many college educations would that have covered? I think we could hook people up with their first 60 units of college for free at minimum. Maybe institute an achievable GPA(3.1?) scholarship for state and university as the next phase. People are graduating from public schools working the medical field with 250k+ in debt at twice the interest rate of their 16k prius.

I don't think college should be free, but the cost should not prohibit someone from attending. Failing should prevent them from attending. I know a couple grand a year for community college seems reasonable to people with modest expendable income but when you have to find that 160/mo from a 600-700 budget for living expenses its cost prohibitive. If we have to get fine arts out of public universities in order to achieve this fine. The rich and the exceptionally talented will still pay 20-50k a year to get a similar degree from a private school.

We shouldn't use one spending debacle to justify another. What we should be saying to ourselves is "let's not spend so much" instead of "let's keep spending a lot but on different stuff."

And we also shouldn't forget that the reason college tuition is so damn high is because of government backed student loans.

Why are you asking us?

Because I missed my lunch with Bernie last week. I wanted to eat at Northwoods Inn but he insisted on Hometown Buffet so that each of us could eat as much of everything on the menu as we wished (and that neither of us would be denied anything available).

Bernie's state has one of the highest tuition rates for 4 year state schools.  He hasn't had much success with it so far. 

I don't believe in free school but the costs should have never soared well above any cost of living increase like they have. People who have small kids now better work on that fastball and in the batting cage.  At the rate it has been going in 15 years a book may cost $5k. 

Because I missed my lunch with Bernie last week. I wanted to eat at Northwoods Inn but he insisted on Hometown Buffet so that each of us could eat as much of everything on the menu as we wished (and that neither of us would be denied anything available).

Wonderful. Now I want Northwoods

Why does it have to be "free?" Why can't we just give low interest loans? My parents and I had to pay for my college. I still have $75,000 in loans to pay off. Is Bernie gonna cover those before he asks me to subsidize others' tuition?

I love liberalism. Liberals think every issue can be fixed by just raising taxes on the wealthiest one percent. They don't seem to grasp that the amount of money actually raised by doing that is incredibly limited.

Why does it have to be "free?" Why can't we just give low interest loans? My parents and I had to pay for my college. I still have $75,000 in loans to pay off. Is Bernie gonna cover those before he asks me to subsidize others' tuition?

I love liberalism. Liberals think every issue can be fixed by just raising taxes on the wealthiest one percent. They don't seem to grasp that the amount of money actually raised by doing that is incredibly limited.

phil, only Bernie thinks it should be free and is not all liberals.  A liberal like myself thinks you should pay but not at the rate they have bumped up to now, at least for a State school education.  For me, just give me some kind of tax break instead of having to rely on whatever 401k I have left which can be used pre-tax.  That is really all they give you a break on and luckily I had that to play with. I don't believe my kids should go to Stanford or Harvard but the State schools are trying to copy that model.  I have no problems with a State school using my tax dollars to alleviate some of the burden.  I don't consider that liberalism. 

It is a catch-22 Kurt. Just like health care, college is too expensive.

and just like health care, part of the reason its too expensive is because of well meaning government policies that drive prices up.

The question becomes what can the government do that will work without have unintended consequences.

several years ago california had a ballot initiative about school vouchers. i asked my principal what it would mean for us as a private school. he said it would be likely we'd raise out tuition prices by $300. he wanted to make money off of it for the school, and being as we are a private school, we always need more money.