• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade for Andrelton Simmons - Aybar, Newcomb, Ellis & $2.5mm to Braves $*#&

nate

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Braves took Aybar and he crashed and burned. Had Eppler not made that trade the Angels would still have needed a shortstop and Newcomb would still be trade bait but valued less and Ellis would be almost worthless. I think this was probably the best trade made by an Angels GM in multiple decades.

Well the breakup was just too much to take.

B3EE2B44-4D01-471D-9FAF-066A317CE29C.jpeg

I do have to say, it's kinda fun to bring up old threads to see how they have aged with time.  It does show you how, sometimes, we can somewhat overvalue our own prospects.  Not to say Newcomb isn't going to develop into a good starter, as he has already had a fairly promising start, but we sure did hit the jackpot with Simmons.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I do have to say, it's kinda fun to bring up old threads to see how they have aged with time.  It does show you how, sometimes, we can somewhat overvalue our own prospects.  Not to say Newcomb isn't going to develop into a good starter, as he has already had a fairly promising start, but we sure did hit the jackpot with Simmons.

sometimes?

• 2 years later...
12 minutes ago, nate said:

This didn't age well

Sure....but I think I beat it with this gem......

On 11/12/2015 at 4:05 PM, eligrba said:

Dear God,

Please help this new GM figure shit out before he trades Trout for Uribe.

Thank you.

Eli Grba

Dumb ass....confirmed

On 11/12/2015 at 6:45 PM, tdawg87 said:

Lets not undermine how good Simmons is. The Angels got A LOT better defensively. Aybar is a good defensive shortstop. Simmons is the best in the game.

He's also marginally worse than Aybar with the bat, so its a wash.

But giving up Newcomb for him is absurd.

On 11/12/2015 at 7:03 PM, tdawg87 said:

I kind of expected Ellis to be gone if this trade were to happen, but Newcomb? How in the hell?

We also just went back to having the worst farm system in baseball by a wide margin.

I mean, I really like Simmons. He locks down the SS position for the next 5 years. But there is no reason to give up your top 2 prospects along with your shortstop who is already pretty damn good himself. Aybar, Ellis, and a relief prospect I can get. But this is absurd.

On 11/12/2015 at 9:21 PM, tdawg87 said:

So after some processing on this:

The Angels gave up too much. Don't care if Simmons plays like a stud here and Newcomb and Ellis both flame out. Both guys could have been used as the center piece of packages that could have filled other, more glaring holes. Aybar, even in his age, was also a fairly valuable commodity and I honestly don't see how the Angels had to give up BOTH of their top prospects AND throw in money for good measure. To me it seems like Eppler panicked. 

ashamed puppy GIF

On 11/12/2015 at 7:50 PM, wopphil said:

We gave up one year of Aybar, one prospect in the top 25, and another on the fringe of the top 100, for five years of one of the better shortstops in the game at a reasonable contract. A guy who a couple years ago was worth 7.0 WAR.

Whether you like the trade or not, I struggle to see how we over-paid.

I agree.

• 2 years later...

This is probably the most hilarious trade ever. For me.

I was into Newcomb.  Saw him start 4 or 5 games with the 66ers.   Wasn't really upset about the trade, though.

Chavez has always baffled me.  I've run into people that know him.,.. or was that Nolasco.... probably both.   It's mind boggling that he's still around.   

Wild

As fans I think it’s natural to overreact to trades and feel fleeced when top rated prospects get traded. Just a couple of years ago it was Adell who was untouchable and so far he doesn’t appear to be that “untouchable” guy. I think these things teach us that prospects tend to be overvalued and we shouldn’t be so reluctant to trade them if we can win now by doing so.