• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade for Andrelton Simmons - Aybar, Newcomb, Ellis & $2.5mm to Braves $*#&

nate

Jim Bowden, ESPN:

What the Angels received: Andrelton Simmons games best defensive shortstop and best overall defensive player. Only 26-years old with attitude and pop and bat will improve working with Mike Trout and Albert Pujols on a nightly basis.

I don't think Bowden realizes it's 2015.

I still think they gave up too much in Aybar, their top two prospects and cash for a younger albeit better defensive version of Aybar.  Newcomb may never develop into what scouts think he can but as our biggest trade chip it seems like you move him if it fills a need like 3B, LF or some other bat.  This move alone looks terrible but the off season is far from over.       

Jim Bowden, ESPN:

What the Angels received: Andrelton Simmons games best defensive shortstop and best overall defensive player. Only 26-years old with attitude and pop and bat will improve working with Mike Trout and Albert Pujols on a nightly basis.

Gotta love players with attitude. And....was Bowden implying that Simmons would be hitting next to Trout and Pujols? He's a #9 hitter unless his bat improves. Doesn't get on base, doesn't run....

Gotta love players with attitude. And....was Bowden implying that Simmons would be hitting next to Trout and Pujols? He's a #9 hitter unless his bat improves. Doesn't get on base, doesn't run....

no. he's saying that they're going to make him a better hitter, which is dumb.

My wife and I were signing escrow papers for our first house last night.  Couldn't be more excited about the future and then I check my phone and see this trade...  It was weird how much it bummed me out.  Ruined the whole evening.  What an overpayment! I hope I end up being wrong but unless Simmons starts to hit like Jeter I think we lost this one for sure.

Congrats on the house, dude!

My wife and I were signing escrow papers for our first house last night.  Couldn't be more excited about the future and then I check my phone and see this trade...  It was weird how much it bummed me out.  Ruined the whole evening.  What an overpayment! I hope I end up being wrong but unless Simmons starts to hit like Jeter I think we lost this one for sure.

Hope the overpayment wasn't for the house.

And that is why Jim Bowden is on Roger Lodges show and not in a Major League Front Office......

I like the Aybar for Simmons part. I then understand why you add in Newcomb (who becomes their #1 prospect is saying quite a bit) as Ayabr is a FA next year.... But, then to add in another lefty prospect and flip them 3M like its nothing even though they will probably flip Aybar for other younger parts and will end up never paying a penny of his salary is just amazingly ridiculous to me.

BTW, Lodge had his knee pads working overtime yesterday.

I get we are lefty top heavy. I was just expecting a better offensive player at a position of need if we were to trade Newcomb.

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy

Doesn't Simmons also have good speed? I know he doesn't steal much but I think he's at least as fast as Aybar.

His SB% isn't that great so I don't think you should expect to see him trying to steal that much. I'm sure his base running is good but not his SB success rate.

Aybar was worth -3.0 DRS last year. Not exactly plus defesively. For reference, Simmons was worth 25.0, more than three times the entire Angels team. 

I don't trust defensive metrics very much.  Trout was -9.0 DRS in each of the 2013 and 2014 seasons.  Do you honestly believe Trout was that bad or NOT a plus defender those years?