• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade for Andrelton Simmons - Aybar, Newcomb, Ellis & $2.5mm to Braves $*#&

nate

TBF, when we traded for him his career path was basically that of Alcides Escobar with better defense and minus the steals, so it made sense that people were upset. No one (not even the front office probably) predicted that he'd suddenly start hitting for power, raise his average 40 points above his career norms, and start stealing bases all at once. It's been quite a pleasant surprise. 

48 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Yeah, I remember watching him in AAA. Big, strong, athletic. Was much faster than he looked. But Kubitza was much like Brandon Wood. He experienced failure and he folded. No confidence.

Honestly, at this point I suspect a great deal of a prospect's success stems from how they react to failure. Most of these guys were the best from wherever they're from. They never failed, and once the face the best in the world, I think they get shaken up when they aren't the best anymore.

Even Trouty experienced failure in his first call up. 

Then it should be good news for Cowart.  He has faced great failure and seems to have turned it around.

Did you hear what Calhoun just said to Jose? "We have a saying in the outfield, if you want an assist just get the ball to Simmons."

To me, the joy of watching baseball is far more than just what happens in the batters box. Simmons delivers from anywhere on the diamond

On 11/12/2015 at 4:56 PM, Erstad Grit said:

I'm in the minority but I like this deal. Simmons is not just a good SS, he is the best SS in mlb of a 25 year span. This guy will save so many runs, he will become a fan favorite very quickly. It sucks trading pitching prospects but we have seen lots of those flame out. Heaney is the real deal and next year we'd need to get a SS anyway. I like it!

Hahaha I was finally right on one!

• 4 months later...
On 11/12/2015 at 4:11 PM, Chuckster70 said:

This makes no F'n sense. 

Trade your top prospect for a marginal player?!?!?!?

Someone tell me what I'm missing on Simmons. In another thread I said trade Aybar, Ellis, Alacantara and Baldoquin for him. 

Chuck is on vacation so this is a good time to remind him of this and that. 

Rams 42 Seahawks 7

I liked the trade at the time. I like the Cozart signing as well. I'd be interested to see whether people felt similarly or differently about each move.

To me they are both similar type of players. The defense is so good that the floor on each of them is pretty high. The defense alone covers the value of the contact. Any offense is surplus value and both players had the potential to provide enough offensive value to make them steals. 

Obviously the Angels are in a different place then when they traded for Simmons so it's easier to like the Cozart signing, not to mention the price in talent. But I think both have similar player profiles and contact.

On 11/12/2015 at 9:03 PM, Oz27 said:

There was a guy named Kerry Packer, who was an Australian businessman that died a few years ago. In the 1980s he sold a television network called Channel Nine for a tick over $1 billion to a guy named Alan Bond. The only problem was Bond couldn't read a balance sheet and didn't realize what he'd actually got himself into.Three years later Bond's business empire collapsed and Packer came back and bought Nine back for $250 million, a quarter of the price 36 months earlier. As Packer later said, "you only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime and I got mine".

Well, Atlanta, you just got your Alan Bond. You absolutely fleeced us. I never could have dreamed somebody employed as a major league general manager could make such a terrible trade but Billy Eppler stepped up to the plate and delivered. I hated the Vernon Wells trade from the second I found out about it but I think this will be even worse. We just gutted our farm system for a marginal upgrade at a position which wasn't a problem, acquiring backloaded contract and not fixing even one of our many glaring holes. This is embarrassing and a dreadful mistake. Eppler will be laughed at for many years to come while Atlanta enjoys Newcomb and Ellis and we're stuck with a shortstop, regardless of how good he is defensively, who has no power and isn't that good at getting on base.

Bravo, Billy Eppler. Maybe this won't go down as the worst Angels transaction of the Moreno era but you've certainly given it a damn good crack.

Turns out Billy is more James than Alan Bond....

7 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

Regardless of how we felt at the time. If Simmons continues this progression and can stay healthy for the next 5-10 years whatever it may be and goes down as one of the best defensive SS ever. Would this be considered one of the best trades ever?

Not sure he would keep it up that long, and newcomb can still become a stud pitcher. But even if simmons 'only' keeps this up another 4 years lets say, its still a great trade for us.

The Braves took Aybar and he crashed and burned. Had Eppler not made that trade the Angels would still have needed a shortstop and Newcomb would still be trade bait but valued less and Ellis would be almost worthless. I think this was probably the best trade made by an Angels GM in multiple decades.