• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade for Andrelton Simmons - Aybar, Newcomb, Ellis & $2.5mm to Braves $*#&

nate

Here is my official stance on this deal(just so it's there for when this thread inevitably gets bumped months from now)

Love getting Simmons. The team now has a hard position to fill locked up for the next 5 years. Simmons defense is far above any other SS in the league. It's that great. Adding him to the infield will help the entire pitching staff out tremendously

I just do not like the price...mainly giving up Newcomb. If they were going to deal their only real high-end trade chip fro their farm, I'd wish it would have went in a deal that landed this team an impact bat. That's the only thing I don't like in this

If they end up signing somebody like Gordon or Heyward + signing a FA SP....this will start to make a lot more sense.

I'm in the minority but I like this deal. Simmons is not just a good SS, he is the best SS in mlb of a 25 year span. This guy will save so many runs, he will become a fan favorite very quickly. It sucks trading pitching prospects but we have seen lots of those flame out. Heaney is the real deal and next year we'd need to get a SS anyway. I like it!

Alden Gonzalez ‏@Alden_Gonzalez

Those I've heard from throughout the industry do not like this deal for the Angels. Feel they gave up too much. Time will tell.

David O'Brien ‏@DOBrienAJC 
Baseball America's John Manuel tells me Newcomb will move into No. 1 prospect slot with #Braves

Here is my official stance on this deal(just so it's there for when this thread inevitably gets bumped months from now)

Love getting Simmons. The team now has a hard position to fill locked up for the next 5 years. Simmons defense is far above any other SS in the league. It's that great. Adding him to the infield will help the entire pitching staff out tremendously

I just do not like the price...mainly giving up Newcomb. If they were going to deal their only real high-end trade chip fro their farm, I'd wish it would have went in a deal that landed this team an impact bat. That's the only thing I don't like in this

If they end up signing somebody like Gordon or Heyward + signing a FA SP....this will start to make a lot more sense.

If this happens, or something close to it, then I will feel less violated about Newcomb, I agree with you about being happy about Simmons, but just fleeced on the cost.

This just made Cowart and/or Kubitza a whole lot more doable, defensively, at 3rd base.

Simmons will cover a lot more ground in the infield than Aybar did.

Mentioned the same thing earlier. I wonder if this means kubitza (or even freese) is the plan at 3B and we focus all our attention on LF and a bat first 2B?

@theaceofspaeder: Defensive runs saved in '15

#Angels as a team 8.0

Angels SS Erick Aybar -3.0

Andrelton Simmons 25.0

This is what you call a major upgrade.

I'm starting to like this trade as well. Go all in and sign Heyward, Cueto, Fister and Soria. Flip Santiago to the Pirates for Walker and give Cowart the starting 3B job. Now we have the best defensive team in baseball.

If this happens, or something close to it, then I will feel less violated about Newcomb, I agree with you about being happy about Simmons, but just fleeced on the cost.

i disagree. Heyward and a top FA SP will still come from us spending money...their price tag wont decrease because we traded newcomb for simmons. Meaning we could have kept newcomb and still bought heyward and stud SP

I haven't been this upset about a trade since the Wells fiasco. This seems worse, on the surface. If Eppler doesn't think Newcomb is going to pan out, fine. But we needed to get a bat for him that fills a position of need, since he was our only good trade chip. Terrible.

If Arte opens the wallet and signs a couple bats and an SP (blows past the tax) this will make a little more sense. Right now, it looks really bad.

We just got Erick Aybar at his prime age with huge upside. We all love Erick but that last series of the season was a preview of whats to come. Your losing a few SB for more range and then just cut that bat wag, close up the stance slightly, and you've got something. He doesn't walk much yet but he also doesn't strike out. The balls in play will eventually fall Simmons way. As for Sean, he looks like Lester (Before these last few years) but we don't need SP down the road, We've got that contained for now. Especially if we sign Jordan Zimmermann. How do you guys feel about letting Collin Cowgill being a right handed Geraldo Parra type and convincing Dexter to come aboard?

What?

Aybar in his prime was a much better hitter than this turd

@theaceofspaeder: Defensive runs saved in '15

#Angels as a team 8.0

Angels SS Erick Aybar -3.0

Andrelton Simmons 25.0

This is what you call a major upgrade.

I'm starting to like this trade as well. Go all in and sign Heyward, Cueto, Fister and Soria. Flip Santiago to the Pirates for Walker and give Cowart the starting 3B job. Now we have the best defensive team in baseball.

doubt that happens, but, was thinking the same. Sign a stud SP, flip santiago for a bat at 2B, save money with kubitza/coward at 3rd and spwnd big on LF

Is now the time for the gloss?

Ineptler

Although if Heyward and a rock solid RIGHTY starter and rock solid setup man are coming aboard, I might change my mind. 

Any way to package Santiago and others to get Dee Gordon?

Newcomb better not become a Chris Sale clone!

Edited by Angel Oracle