• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2015-2016 Hot Stove Thread

SoWhat

I would definitely take Hanley over Cron at 1B or DH....but I'm pretty sure from Boston's end that they're trying to deal him without having to eat up the majority of the contract and if they did, they'd want something quite valuable in return. Considering the Angels lack of resources in the farm, their best bet of acquiring Hanley is by eating most of what he's still owed so that the return to Boston wouldn't be much other than taking a contract off their hands

And the Zimm/Tigers deal is reportedly 5yrs/$110 million

Edited by bloodbrother

angels are not trading for hanley. mostly because it would be stupid.

Like I said, I don't really like the guy, but depending on cost he would be a valuable player to have. He can still hit, and he can play a bunch of different positions, just not very well. But with that being said you can sneak him in to positions like 3rd with a righty on the mound against a left handed batting line up, or 2nd base when the opposite is true and he won't really hurt you. But if we got him I envision him mostly as a DH, with other options.

Do you think that Hanley would be worse than CJ at first? Or even worse than Freese at 3rd or worse than Giovatella at 2nd?

Yes to all three. He is also a difficult to manage prick. He has had one complete season for five years straight with a myriad of injuries real or imagined to the point Mattingly was fed up with him.

He serves no need for the Angels.

Edited by notti

Yes to all three. He is also a difficult to manage prick. He really doesn't serve a need for the Angels.

I kind of doubt he is worse than those three. I also totally disagree that he doesn't serve a need for the Angels. As for being difficult to manage I haven't heard that since he has been away from the Marlins. Some players take a little longer to mature, which sucks, but it's true. Like I said for the right price he can be a valuable player, that serves a purpose.

I kind of doubt he is worse than those three. I also totally disagree that he doesn't serve a need for the Angels. As for being difficult to manage I haven't heard that since he has been away from the Marlins. Some players take a little longer to mature, which sucks, but it's true. Like I said for the right price he can be a valuable player, that serves a purpose.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-don-mattingly-hanley-ramirez-20140919-story.html

On what assumptions can we base Ramirez's defensive abilities at 1B, 2B, or 3B? He's never played 1B or 2B at the major league level. He's played 99 games at 3B of which 98 were in 2012. His 2012 3B defense was below league average. He will be older and significantly heavier in 2016.

He may fit an offensive need, but it's ridiculous to believe he can be anything other than a pure DH.

Goeddel would be interesting but doubt he'd make it to the Angels. They'd have to work out a trade like they did with Featherston. Eppler could have some interest in Cave too, being a Yankees prospect.

If the Angels acquire an OF able to back up Trout in center, like Heyward or Cespedes, it definitely would allow them some flexibility to carry a Rule V 4th OFer.

Cowgill is solid but now being 30 with his injury history and $1m+ price tag, I could see where a Rule V draftee could make sense.

It's another option to add to the farm to a degree.

Edited by totdprods

Yikes.  The bar just opened.  And already the sailors are drunk.

10:00pm: The Diamondbacks’ offer was for six years and $120MM, MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert reports.  The $20MM average annual value of the rejected offer already surpasses the $15MM-$18MM range cited by Rosenthal.

Or Cueto would prefer a similar contract with a winning franchise.

Although I fully agree that the perception that the D'Backs are not a winning franchise some of the pieces they have are pretty impressive. Pollock, Goldschmidt, Lamb, and Corbin are all excellent pieces. Nick Ahmed is an excellent defensive SS and Chris Owings is a good defensive SS too but they have him at 2B where he will likely excel.

Just saying that with the addition of a frontline starter and maybe a corner outfielder they are ready to contend I think.

Put the D-Backs lineup next to the Royals projected lineup minus the FA's and it's very easy to see why a true #1 wouldn't want to go there. Short of 25-30M per~

D-Backs need 2 Power hitting OF'ers a Stud catcher and 2 Starting Pitchers plus a pen......

Royals were 10th in the majors in OPS, Dbacks were 9th. Dbacks had .005 lower in BA but 15 HR higher.

Dbacks were just 2nd in SB , only 2 behind Cincinatti. 132 vs KC's 104.

As far as defense... Dbacks were 1st in Defensive runs saved by a mile with 71 while the 2nd place royals had 56 and the 3rd place team nearly half of Arizona's at 37.

I'm not saying the Dbacks are better than the Royals, and these are not the only statistics to base teams off by (royals were ahead in sb %, defensive value, etc) but its just to show that the diamondbacks are a strong team offensively, defensively, and very well may be the fastest/most athletic.

Not to mention that the Royals are losing a key player that boost their offense and defense in one of Gordon/Zobrist plus Cueto himself.

The Dbacks are only getting better with their young players maturing into Major League regulars. And as shitty as their pitching in 2015 was, they have key pieces in Corbin and Bradley. If they can land a pitcher like Cueto/Maeda plus use some of their deep pool of position players to pick up a Matz/Kendrick/Salazar/Quintana and pick up a couple Relief pieces, they will be very strong.

Edit: This reply wasn't meant to be this long... Kind of irrelevant overall, but I got carried away lol. Wish we were in the position of the Dbacks.

Edited by marcosantinia12