• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Acquire Shane Victorino.

Richard

Ah, right. I'm just curious to know what a player who "knows how to play smart baseball in October" actually does and how we define that as a skill.

Well in Victorino's case it's a guy who has been slightly worse in the postseason than his career average in the regular season and who owns a career .533 OPS in three different WS appearances.

Well in Victorino's case it's a guy who has been slightly worse in the postseason than his career average in the regular season and who owns a career .533 OPS in three different WS appearances.

lol yes, when I saw that post looking up those stats was the first thing I did. But hey, how do you put a value on someone who "knows how to play smart baseball in October"?

It worked because both players played well when they came here....and the pieces they gave up haven't really amounted to much

The comp pick for Tex leading to Trout is a nice story and all but we've already read/heard that if the Angels just had that one 1st round pick they'd have used it on Trout. So really the Tex comp pick helped them end up with Grichuk, not Trout

And in the end, that got us Salas. Rejoice!

The Marlins were pretty lucky that Steve Bartman just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Yankees and Jeffrey Meier, another example.

Sometimes it is a crapshoot.

Except that Bartman had no real effect on the outcome of the game. The Cubs were up 3-0 in the 8th and that would only have been the second out. They also led the series 3-2 so they blew not just that game but game 7 as well. Edited by notti

Acquiring Victorino affords us the option of pursuing a platoon LFer if the price stays too high on the likes of Parra or Revere while not costing much in either salary or trade material. To me it does a pretty good job of expanding the choices enough to be able to concentrate on best use of resources instead of desperation trading.

It burns a roster spot with a guy that can't stay on the field. Someone is going to have to go when Joyce comes off the DL. Neither Victorino, Joyce or Featherston can be sent down to the minors. So until September there will have to be a roster adjustment involving backups.

It burns a roster spot with a guy that can't stay on the field. Someone is going to have to go when Joyce comes off the DL. Neither Victorino, Joyce or Featherston can be sent down to the minors. So until September there will have to be a roster adjustment involving backups.

Victorino makes Robertson expendable....he obviously has a better track record than Robertson but it's hard to ignore Robertson's production this year....not sure how much of an upgrade Victorino is over what Robertson has done this year...

Robertson likely gets sent down and I still see(hope) Joyce gets DFA. Featherston really has no business on the roster but they seem intent on keeping him on it for whatever reason

Role player. Pinch runner, late-inning defensive replacement for Freese. He can also spell an infielder who needs a day off.

Edited by fan_since79

Role player. Pinch runner, late-inning defensive replacement for Freese. He can also spell an infielder who needs a day off.

We're a month away from keeping him  beyond this year too, and he's played better recently. Not great, but better. 

Looking forward to 2016, he is now going to fill the spot in AAA that Rutledge held all year. 

Acquiring Victorino affords us the option of pursuing a platoon LFer if the price stays too high on the likes of Parra or Revere while not costing much in either salary or trade material. To me it does a pretty good job of expanding the choices enough to be able to concentrate on best use of resources instead of desperation trading.

I do agree with that. But can we count on Stoneman to fill in that other missing piece (LHH LF/DH)?