• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trades/trade deadline countdown thread

@Alden_Gonzalez: One name to keep in mind in #Angels' pursuit of offense: Nick Markakis. 0 HRs, but 293/381/353 slash line with #Braves. Owed $31.5M 2016-18.

@Alden_Gonzalez: #Angels will take offense where it comes at this point, but would prefer (1) someone controlled beyond this year and (2) a LHH corner OF.

@Alden_Gonzalez: Markakis fills both.

Plus he's almost 32!!! The perfect match!

Reddick is having a very odd season.  Hes mashing at home but only has a .754 OPS on the road.  I would love to have him but I highly doubt Beane would ever do anything to help the Angels.  It shouldnt be too hard to get a better value for Redick elsewhere.

A .754 OPS in a neutral park setting is well above the league average of .691.

Ehhhhhhh. I'd give up very little to get Markakis. He'd be a great leadoff candidate but he is by no means a solution to the team's offensive woes. Plus, his power numbers have been declining steadily for years.

Zero home runs pretty much says his power numbers have hit rock bottom.

Also he has a history of being Ervin Santana's lost brother of a different mother with on and off years. I get the feeling he won't be switching back to any on years going forward.

I'll gladly take Markakis and his .381 OBP.

Atlanta is a tough park to hit in, he'll be OK in another pitcher friendly park like Anaheim.

He has a .787 road OPS, which is actually better than Reddick.

You can't compare OPS across leagues -- apples and oranges.  You can however look at their OPS+ numbers -- Markakis is currently at 107, Reddick is at 121.   The park in Atlanta has actually played pretty close to neutral and has favored slightly favored hitters this season.

Zero home runs pretty much says his power numbers have hit rock bottom.

Also he has a history of being Ervin Santana's lost brother of a different mother with on and off years. I get the feeling he won't be switching back to any on years going forward.

Didn't he have some sort of surgery on his neck or back ..  a disk issue?   You see a guy drop from middling power to nothing after surgery -- that's a pretty huge red flag.

Didn't he have some sort of surgery on his neck or back .. a disk issue? You see a guy drop from middling power to nothing after surgery -- that's a pretty huge red flag.

Neck surgery....

Edited by DMVol

You can't compare OPS across leagues -- apples and oranges.  You can however look at their OPS+ numbers -- Markakis is currently at 107, Reddick is at 121.   The park in Atlanta has actually played pretty close to neutral and has favored slightly favored hitters this season.

Didn't he have some sort of surgery on his neck or back ..  a disk issue?   You see a guy drop from middling power to nothing after surgery -- that's a pretty huge red flag.

I kind of get your OPS+ part, and I'm not saying he's better than Reddick. Reddick is better defensively also.

But Atlanta has been a pitchers park for some while, and half a season isn't a big enough sample size.

Also worth noting is his extraordinary plate discipline. He has seen the 5th most amount of pitches, behind Trout, Goldschmidt, Votto and Kipnis.

Markakis's asking price should be that high, and it would still be a nice upgrade over what we have now.

Edited by moccasin

I kind of get your OPS+ part, and I'm not saying he's better than Reddick. Reddick is better defensively also.

But Atlanta has been a pitchers park for some while, and half a season isn't a big enough sample size.

Hows a three year sample working for you?  http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2015.shtml

Ballparks: Turner Field · Attendance: 996,120 (15th of 15)

Park Factors  Over 100 favors batters, under 100 favors pitchers. 

multi-year: Batting - 99, Pitching - 98 · one-year: Batting - 101, Pitching - 102

These are the numbers after it's first three years....

Ballparks: Turner Field · Attendance: 3,284,897 (2nd of 16)

multi-year: Batting - 99, Pitching - 98 · one-year: Batting - 97, Pitching - 96

And these are the numbers in the middle of its run...

Ballparks: Turner Field · Attendance: 2,550,524 (9th of 16)

multi-year: Batting - 100, Pitching - 99 · one-year: Batting - 96, Pitching - 96

It's always been a pretty neutral park -- the reason many thought it was a pitcher's park is because the Braves had moved from Fulton County Stadium, which was a well known launching pad.

See below:

Ballparks: Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium · Attendance: 2,901,242 (3rd of 14)

multi-year: Batting - 105, Pitching - 104 · one-year: Batting - 105, Pitching - 104

Hows a three year sample working for you?  http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2015.shtml

Ballparks: Turner Field · Attendance: 996,120 (15th of 15)

multi-year: Batting - 99, Pitching - 98 · one-year: Batting - 101, Pitching - 102

These are the numbers after it's first three years....

Ballparks: Turner Field · Attendance: 3,284,897 (2nd of 16)

multi-year: Batting - 99, Pitching - 98 · one-year: Batting - 97, Pitching - 96

And these are the numbers in the middle of its run...

Ballparks: Turner Field · Attendance: 2,550,524 (9th of 16)

multi-year: Batting - 100, Pitching - 99 · one-year: Batting - 96, Pitching - 96

It's always been a pretty neutral park -- the reason many thought it was a pitcher's park is because the Braves had moved from Fulton County Stadium, which was a well known launching pad.

See below:

Ballparks: Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium · Attendance: 2,901,242 (3rd of 14)

multi-year: Batting - 105, Pitching - 104 · one-year: Batting - 105, Pitching - 104

I always thought it was a pitchers park, and ESPN has had it as a pitcher friendly place for a while.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

Well, I'll take in between and say it's slightly pitcher friendly.

The main point was that Markakis and his discipline should help the Angels at the leadoff spot, and it doesn't change.

I always thought it was a pitchers park, and ESPN has had it as a pitcher friendly place for a while.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

Well, I'll take in between and say it's slightly pitcher friendly.

The main point was that Markakis and his discipline should help the Angels at the leadoff spot, and it doesn't change.

LOL..  that's not in between -- that's exactly what I said it was.  Pretty close to neutral.    I wasn't popping you, or calling it a hitter's park, it's just never been as pitcher friendly as people believe.  I had always assumed it was pretty pitcher friendly too.

On to the greater point ..   I'd agree that Markakis as a leadoff or number two probably works...  at least we know he can actually milk walks and get on base -- he doesn't K a lot either..   He's not cheap, but 11 mil per for the next three might not be awful.  He would only need to be a 1.5 WAR player to earn that paycheck at the current rate of 7-8 mil per win in FA.

Edited by Inside Pitch

With the new format so many teams are "only" a few games out of the wild card. 

Good point. Close division races make for a more exciting season, but I do think the addition of the 2nd wild card has worsened the game.

@JeffFletcherOCR: Angels have widened their net in search for offense to include right-handed hitters and rentals. Looking at lots of guys still.

@Alden_Gonzalez: #Angels still prefer a bat controlled beyond 2015, but will consider rentals, which includes Yoenis Cespedes. All about acquisition cost.

@JeffFletcherOCR: Sounds like Sean Newcomb may be only guy off limits from Angels system. Chris Ellis and Nate Smith have some value and could go

Good point. Close division races make for a more exciting season, but I do think the addition of the 2nd wild card has worsened the game.

After the game yesterday, I thought Jose Mota made a great point about how the trade deadline needs to be pushed back to further in the season due to there now being two Wild Card teams.  I think he is 100% correct.

After the game yesterday, I thought Jose Mota made a great point about how the trade deadline needs to be pushed back to further in the season due to there now being two Wild Card teams. I think he is 100% correct.

He's been reading this board as everyone has been saying the same thing since he ASB.

Are you sure Jose didn't just suggest moving July after August on the calendar, not the trade deadline.