• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trades/trade deadline countdown thread

Strad's idea is a nice one (moving back the trade deadline to Aug 15), that takes into account the increasing number of teams in post-season contention now. 

Remember that the current one was changed from June 15 some 30 years back, possibly taking into account each league having two post-season teams instead of one since 1969, and thus more teams in post-season contention.   That date change came out of the settlement of the 1985 MLB mini-strike in early August.

Now though is a whole new world with three division winners in each league plus 2 WC teams from each league.

Strad's idea is a nice one (moving back the trade deadline to Aug 15), that takes into account the increasing number of teams in post-season contention now.

Remember that the current one was changed from June 15 some 30 years back, possibly taking into account each league having two post-season teams instead of one since 1969, and thus more teams in post-season contention. That date change came out of the settlement of the 1985 MLB mini-strike in early August.

Now though is a whole new world with three division winners in each league plus 2 WC teams from each league.

IMO the solution to the dilemma of to many teams being in postseason contention is to expand or contract baseball by two teams, go to two equal sized divisions in each league, greatly reduce interleague, make the schedule more balanced, then only admit the division winners plus two wild cards only into the post season. Edited by ScottLux

Dipoto on MLB Network Raido discussing the trade deadline today...

@MLBNetworkRadio: Dipoto: any team could use a big bat this time of year, #Angels are among the top teams who do

@MLBNetworkRadio: Dipoto on deadline: on the surface it looks like a sellers market, I don't think there's a host of impact offensive pieces available #Angels

@MLBNetworkRadio: Dipoto on moving back date of deadline: think that's inevitable at the negotiation of the next CBA, seems the only logical outcome #Angels

Remember that the current one was changed from June 15 some 30 years back, possibly taking into account each league having two post-season teams instead of one since 1969, and thus more teams in post-season contention.   That date change came out of the settlement of the 1985 MLB mini-strike in early August.

I dream someday it will be like the NHL: 8 playoff teams in each league. 2 division series rounds, then the ALCS/NLCS, then WS.

Edited by MikeScioscia4MVP

I've always been a purist myself, though.

One team from each league in the post-season (through 1968) was extreme.

But I also find it hard to stay interested through a very long post-season in the NBA and NHL that follows 6 regular season months, unless the Lakers and/or Kings advance deep into the post-season.

Just say no to postseason expansion.  Its already a crap shoot as it is according to most of you.  I dont want anymore lucky teams getting in.  

As for trades, there will always be sellers at the deadline.  Just because technically everyone is in it doesnt mean everyone feels like they have a shot at winning.  Within the next 10 days some teams will fall further behind in the race, which will lead to teams selling and rebuilding for next year.

Just say no to postseason expansion. Its already a crap shoot as it is according to most of you. I dont want anymore lucky teams getting in.

As for trades, there will always be sellers at the deadline. Just because technically everyone is in it doesnt mean everyone feels like they have a shot at winning. Within the next 10 days some teams will fall further behind in the race, which will lead to teams selling and rebuilding for next year.

You would think the players most likely to be dealt would be Reddick and Upton.

You would think the players most likely to be dealt would be Reddick and Upton.

Reddick is having a very odd season.  Hes mashing at home but only has a .754 OPS on the road.  I would love to have him but I highly doubt Beane would ever do anything to help the Angels.  It shouldnt be too hard to get a better value for Redick elsewhere.

Upton is having an odd season as well.  .900 OPS at home and .600 on the road.  Putting either of these guys behind Pujols would not only make our lineup better but would make them better hitters as well.

Edited by QuinlansMinion

Are there any GMs like the ChiSox' Ken Williams, who one year threw in the cards even though only 3.5 games out of a post-season spot in late July.

Billy Beane, general manager of the Oakland Athletics, once blew up his team with a 3.5 game lead in the AL West divisional race in late July.

Edited by ScottLux

Reddick is having a very odd season. Hes mashing at home but only has a .754 OPS on the road. I would love to have him but I highly doubt Beane would ever do anything to help the Angels. It shouldnt be too hard to get a better value for Redick elsewhere.

Upton is having an odd season as well. .900 OPS at home and .600 on the road. Putting either of these guys behind Pujols would not only make our lineup better but would make them better hitters as well.

id love to get a guy to hit behind pujols, but with upton having the ability to run, id be tempted to bat him 2cd, in front of trout. Or trout 2cd in front of upton.

Are there any GMs like the ChiSox' Ken Williams, who one year threw in the cards even though only 3.5 games out of a post-season spot in late July.  

I think that was before Williams was GM and that was more of a Jerry Reinsdorf deal than the GM....

Billy Beane, general manager of the Oakland Athletics, once blew up his team with a 3.5 game lead in the AL West divisional race in late July.

Beane didn't blow up his team he traded for two top of the rotation pitchers to try to get through the playoffs and his team folded down the stretch.

Beane didn't blow up his team he traded for two top of the rotation pitchers to try to get through the playoffs and his team folded down the stretch.

So you agree he took a successful formula and shit canned it and sunk the A's playoff hopes.

I wonder if the Halos become interested in Benoit, if they aren't quite ready to turn the 7th inning over to Gott in the stretch drive and the post-season.  

We need a bat....a reliever is pretty far down the list....