• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto cleared out his office

I really like JeDi but I've lost all confidence in him putting together a championship caliber offense. I love what he has done for our pitching prospects, however.

meh, hes on a meager budget (with the luxery tax). First year or two it seemed like he docuses on bats. Then figured out he needed a bullpen. Then starters. Now were back to bats.

In his defense, hes playing whack a mole. With rhe budget constraints he cant buy his way out of it. And with a weak farm he cant teally trade his way out of it. Thats the shit part. With what he inherited it wouldve taken more than 3 or 4 years to rebuild a team.

Exactly

How the hell did JD expect there to be a Sosh firing mid season, while the team is in the playoff race, and improving, and expect Arte to risk losing the players.

Whatever JD's reasons were, his timing was wrong. No way he should have pulled this shit now.

No cempetent GM quits in the middle of a play off race.

as i said in another thread, scioscia has way too much power

pretty obvious that moreno wouldn't back up his GM's recent decisions, and went with scioscia

no competent gm would stick around in circumstances like that

It's pretty funny reading the defending of the gm who assembled a rotation of Blanton, Hanson, and Mulder.

As well as a rotation of Heaney, Skaggs, Santiago, Tropeano, Newcomb, Ellis, Smith, and Rhoades, and our three best relievers in Street, Smith, and Gott. And I'm amused by the mention of Mulder. Hey, let's bring up all of the other extreme long-shots brought in during spring training that failed and use those against him too!

as i said in another thread, scioscia has way too much power

pretty obvious that moreno wouldn't back up his GM's recent decisions, and went with scioscia

no competent gm would stick around in circumstances like that

My take is that the discussion with Arte had little to do with the use of scouting reports and their implementation.  If I were Arte, I would be all over Dipoto for not controlling private information within his organization.  It's not the issue of what gets implemented or not, it's the way he chose to handle it from an interpersonal standpoint.  And this follows the Bennett situation where they pissed off fans regarding attendance quotes.

Sometimes really smart people get in their own way by how they communicate, and that's a whole different problem than what they are trying to communicate.  Jerry is probably a whole lot smarter than Scioscia, but Scioscia is probably a whole lot better communicator to his staff and players.  I don't know much about Jerry's style with his staff, maybe he's a good communicator, maybe he has a bunch of "yes" men, maybe he is seen as a tyrant, who knows?  I know that since Jerry didn't hire Scioscia it's probably hard for him to not micro manage Scioscia's decisions, but a good GM generally hires a GM who he trusts, and then gets out of his way.  Except if you're Billy Beane and Art Howe, and that was probably mostly movie material.

Edited by tomsred

Dipoto got Heaney for Kendrick.  Hes the best GM in the league.  

With that said, the timing of this is very odd.  This team can still win a World Series this year, and they are coming around to play good baseball.  Somebody must have really pissed Dipoto off to make him want to leave a contending team that he had a huge part in building.

As much as i liked him and feel the Angels are worse off for losing him he is going out a lose because he left in the middle of the season. A winner doesn't do that. All his success with the franchise is negated by that.

If he is out he is going out a winner leaving this organization in a much better place.

You know who also signed Raul Ibanez after we got rid of him? The Royals. They should fire their GM.

Except they signed him for the league minimum (while we paid the rest) to pinch hit off the bench and help give some veteran presence to a young playoff bound team. 

We signed him to replace Trumbo's power and be our starting DH.