• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ethier For Wilson Rumors

Maybe a better plan is to look for salary relief and build for next year?

This year looks like an average year. Good pitching seems to consistently stop the Angels offense. Something that was evident in last year's playoffs as well.

Last year we had three bad games in the playoffs, it really isn't something you should look to reference this year.

Upton is predicted to top 200 mil. No thanks. This may be crazy but I would " kick the tires" on Ryan Braun and see what the Brewers want in return. When healthy he has a great bat.

Why would you want human scum on this team?  We just got rid of Hamilton and don't need another worthless dirtbag in the batting order.

He's a RF. Can probably play LF at an average level.

Why people keep calling him a DH is beyond me. His defense isn't great, but it sure as hell is better than Joyce.

So this season he's hitting RHP better than his career average and he's hitting LHP worse than his career average. You're right that moving him over to LF might make his defense passable but it's nothing more than average at best.

Based on the splits he's only going to be useful against RHP which on average a team faces approximately 70% of the time in games.

He's not a bad choice but I don't think he's a great choice either. That contract would impact our payroll for two years after this one rather than the one year of Wilson.

Also I'd rather trade for Lind who's almost as good against RHP as Ethier is (your original suggestion). We wouldn't be saddled down with a horrible contract and we could trade Wilson still to another team that needs a LHP. We could then trade for another more defensively able LF for the lead-off spot.

yes, he'll totally keep that up all season even though he's 33 and that would be by far a career high.

also, just like Joyce, he sucks against lefties.

yes, this forum is amazing.

His career OPS+ is 122. Wanna look to see how many guys in our current lineup are better than that?

Here are Cespedes career numbers:

268 .318 .470 .788

with his best season as his rookie season.

I'm not real excited about this guy either.

id like having him just because i think hes "cool", but agree i dont think hes really that great. More reputation than he probably is truly worth.

As far as ethier, over the last few years hes been pretty similar to matt joyce...very similar. And like joyce, hed have to platoon against lefties. Hes obviously having the better year this year, but...

The gap between the perception of how good Cespedes is and how good he actually is must be as great as any player in baseball. In other words, the dude is pretty overrated. He's having a very good year, but the two before saw an OBP around .300.

Wilson for Ethier makes sense.

I don't see the Angels going after Upton, not for the 8/$200M it will take.

Both Heaney and Tropeano are ready for their shot in the majors. They're both better than their numbers, SLC is hell on pitchers. Heaney would probably be similar to Skaggs last year. Brilliant one start, inconsistent the next. Tropeano I'm convinced would be our 3rd best starter on the staff.

That's fine if Dipoto is looking at recouping as much money as possible for Wilson, but with a weak free agent class and limited upgrades available for the Angels, I'm just not sure what they immediately need to save up for.

Plus we should consider what teams could actually afford Wilson's contract, are contenders and need pitching. That's a pretty limited pool. The Dodgers, Red Sox and maybe the Yankees, that's it. But what could Dopoto actually get in return is another thing entirely.

I think a bad contract swap is the best case to trade Wilson and if that's the case, Ethier is the best fit unless you'd prefer Shane Victorino.

It really isn't that much worse. He's guaranteed 18 million next year (2 mil less than CJ) and then 17.5 in 2017. His vesting option is a club option with a 2.5 million buyout. Worst case, the Angels are stuck with him for 2017.

Despite what people here seem to think for some bizarre reason, Ethier has been incredibly consistent for his entire career. He's had one season with a below average OPS+ (last year) and that was still better than anything the Angels are throwing out in left this year. So far this year, he is killing it and will most likely once again be in the 120-130 OPS+ range by season's end.

A 142 OPS+ = "so so".

This forum is amazing.

Yeah wtf. The same people who were supporting the Hamilton and Pujols acquisitions seem to be against this one.

Ethier is still capable of providing average defense in RF or LF.

His contract ends around the same time as Weaver and Hamilton, which is a good thing.

And if that's the case, then you hold on to Wilson.

You don't trade a bad contract for a worse one. You people are nuts.

Ethier is owed, what? 50 million?

It's a bargain compared to the current going rate of free agents.

Edited by Poozy