• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ethier For Wilson Rumors

Exactly Mulwin, you bring up a good point. Ethier fills a need as a starter this year, balances the lineup and is a run producer. Next year, if the Angels really upgrade, then Ehtier still fills a need as a LH platoon bat.

The Angels don't have much(if any) cash coming off the books next year.

I doubt they are willing to go 10-20 million over the luxury.

They will also need a 3rd baseman, catcher, and possibly 2nd baseman.

Edited by Poozy

If the goal is to trade Wilson, then send him to San Diego, where Ian Kennedy is struggling mightily, for Jedd Gyorko and Rymer Liriano.

That's probably doable, especially if you think 2015 is a lost cause, which it isn't.

if you combine these two thoughts, then maybe you talk to the padres about a wilson and aybar trade. the padres are dogshit at SS and could use another quality SP. i wouldn't be taking on gyorko unless the angels are dumping some moderate bad contract as well, which doesn't include CJ. i do like liriano and the padres have a strong farm even after all their moves this offseason. 

the idea has merit, if you believe the angels are toast for 2015, which i'm absolutely positive nobody in the angels FO believes. it does have a negative though, which is that the angels would then be left for dead at SS, and that's a hard position to fill capably. many franchises look for years trying to find a long term answer. something to think about.

if you combine these two thoughts, then maybe you talk to the padres about a wilson and aybar trade. the padres are dogshit at SS and could use another quality SP. i wouldn't be taking on gyorko unless the angels are dumping some moderate bad contract as well, which doesn't include CJ. i do like liriano and the padres have a strong farm even after all their moves this offseason. 

the idea has merit, if you believe the angels are toast for 2015, which i'm absolutely positive nobody in the angels FO believes. it does have a negative though, which is that the angels would then be left for dead at SS, and that's a hard position to fill capably. many franchises look for years trying to find a long term answer. something to think about.

If the Angels make that trade they should be getting Wil Meyers in return, at the very least.

Every trade scenario so far has envisioned the Dodgers sending cash over with Ethuer to even out the money, therefore the Angels are not adding any payroll in this deal.

As for 3B and catcher, Kyle Kubitza will be manning 3B next year, Freese departure and qualifying offer will bet the Angels a supplemental round draft pick and Jett Bandy will come up and split duties with Perez. The Angeks are already 15 million under the luxury tax, and will be cutting another 10 million in salary next year, putting them approximately 25 million under budget, with Ethier. That's a whole lotta wiggle room.

The real kicker is after next year when Weav, Wilson and Smith come off the books. There's another 40 million right there. Even if you account for Richards, Calhoun, and Giavotella all getting more expensive, you're still looking at 50 million under cap with some exciting prospects infusing talent and youth to the team (Kubitza, Heaney, Newcomb, Ellis, Tropeano, Bandy, Baldoquin...

Upton is very good but not great, but he's going to be paid like he's great - and deep into his 30s.

agreed, he'll get way overpaid (and agree about cespedes).

That said, id still like upton. I really dont want to see trout wasted like vladdy was, the lone gunman on an otherwise mediocre offense. Yeah, we had a good offense some of his years, but never really was consistent. Good offense one year, bad the next. Great pitching though

Every trade scenario so far has envisioned the Dodgers sending cash over with Ethuer to even out the money, therefore the Angels are not adding any payroll in this deal.

As for 3B and catcher, Kyle Kubitza will be manning 3B next year, Freese departure and qualifying offer will bet the Angels a supplemental round draft pick and Jett Bandy will come up and split duties with Perez. The Angeks are already 15 million under the luxury tax, and will be cutting another 10 million in salary next year, putting them approximately 25 million under budget, with Ethier. That's a whole lotta wiggle room.

The real kicker is after next year when Weav, Wilson and Smith come off the books. There's another 40 million right there. Even if you account for Richards, Calhoun, and Giavotella all getting more expensive, you're still looking at 50 million under cap with some exciting prospects infusing talent and youth to the team (Kubitza, Heaney, Newcomb, Ellis, Tropeano, Bandy, Baldoquin...

Did you account for the raises to Pujols(1 mil), Trout(10 mil), Weaver(2 mil), street(1 mil), wilson(2 mil) and Hamilton(3 mil)?

Combined will be making 19 million more than they made last year. 

I personally don't see Kubitza as a MLB caliber player, but I admit to not knowing much outside of his underwhelming stats in salt lake.

Edited by Poozy

Kubi will be there first baseman.  He makes the minimum.  Second base has not been the problem.  Gio is fine.  DH and LF is where we need help.

Did you account for the raises to Pujols(1 mil), Trout(10 mil), Weaver(2 mil), street(1 mil), wilson(2 mil) and Hamilton(3 mil)?

Combined will be making 19 million more than they made last year. 

I personally don't see Kubitza as a MLB caliber player, but I admit to not knowing much outside of his underwhelming stats in salt lake.

Isn't salary cap based on the average of a contract and not year to year?  Outside of the 1 million extra for Street, the other increases will not have an effect on the salary cap.

If the Dodgers are going to eat cash for Ethier ... then they can do better than Wilson.

I don't think Lohse, Garza, Kazmir are better options

If they want Cueto, Hamels, Zimmerman, or hey even Price. They're gonna have to over pay in Rondons imo

Edited by nando714

Isn't salary cap based on the average of a contract and not year to year?  Outside of the 1 million extra for Street, the other increases will not have an effect on the salary cap.

I've never heard that before. Don't think so.

And regarding the Ethier for CJ rumors.  While I don't think CJ is an elite pitcher.  I do think that Ethier is an average outfielder.  The big thing going for him is OBP.  And while it would be an upgrade over Joyce.  2 additional years at $18 million vs 1 additional year at $20 million for CJ.  Either $16 million has to be added, or more players involved.  

The other thing that concerns me about Either is that time when he couldn't get on the field.  The RBI totals when he's in the 50-60 range with very little home run power, although he still gets on base.  Call me jaded.  But this looks like a typical Dodger comes to Angels and turns into a pumpkin deal.

Yes the luxury tax is based on the average of the contract.  

For instance.  CJ makes $18 million this season.  But his Luxury tax hit is $15.5 million.  Since he has a 5/$77.5 contract.  Trout makes $5.25 million, but his LT hit is a bit over $24 million (6/$144.5)