• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ethier For Wilson Rumors

Why not pony up a little more and get Puig instead?

Why are we determined to settle for second rate?

Why not kick the tires on Cespedes now?  

We have the dumpster dive mentality.. bargain hunters... the so called "clean peanuts"

If were going to make a move then make a good one.   Make an impactful one, stop fiching for the Neuwnshieses (sp) of the world, that irritates me more than anything else. 

Because Puig isn't going to be traded and the Tigers aren't conceding the division in June. Would you trade Richards to get Puig? I doubt I would.

...and yet we think Cron is going to get us something useful?   really? 

im not saying they would be traded or should im just saying why is all we talk about is the lesser guys?  that seems to be the mentality here.. the good guys cost to much but we can get something good for nothing... makes sense. 

The calculation of payroll for luxury tax purposes is based on AAV (Average Annual Value).

interesting.. 

So, hypothetically, a team could have a 180 million dollar salary and not have to pay any luxury.

Edited by Poozy

Doesn't really make sense. So the team salary doesn't stay the same, but the AAV does.

So, hypothetically, a team could have a 180 million dollar salary, but not have to pay any luxury.

That is correct. Take Albert's contract, $240 million total over 10 years. The luxury tax calculation for that is based on $24 million/year because that is the average, whether his salary changes from year to year or not.

That is correct. Take Albert's contract, $240 million total over 10 years. The luxury tax calculation for that is based on $24 million/year because that is the average, whether his salary changes from year to year or not.

Got it. Thanks for the info.

Ethier for CJ makes so much sense for both teams, it blows me away anyone would be against it.  Not only is Puig back for the Dodgers and just killing it, but Van Slyke comes back on Monday and Crawford is back in early July.  They are stuck with Crawford, so Ethier becomes their trading piece.  His contract limits his trade value to teams that want to trade what they need, a starting pitcher, who has a big contract too.  CJ fits that and he would most likely do very good in the NL.

The Angels are still in it this year and Ethier gives them a better chance to win this season.  Ethier is a huge upgrade over Joyce both offensively and defensively.  After this season, the Angels could put Ethier at DH if they want to sign a younger LF, and Either would be the best DH the Angels have had in years.

All that said, even if the Angels get Ethier, IMO, they still need to get an upgrade at DH this season too.

Edited by VariousCrap

Either for CJ makes so much sense for both teams, it blows me away anyone would be against it.  Not only is Puig back for the Dodgers and just killing it, but Van Slyke comes back on Monday and Crawford is back in early July.  They are stuck with Crawford, so Either becomes their trading piece.  His contract limits his trade value to teams that want to trade what they need, a starting pitcher, who has a big contract too.  CJ fits that and he would most likely do very good in the NL.

The Angels are still in it this year and Either gives them a better chance to win this season.  Either is a huge upgrade over Joyce both offensively and defensively.  After this season, the Angels could put Either at DH if they want to sign a younger LF, and Either would be the best DH the Angels have had in years.

All that said, even if the Angels get Either, IMO, they still need to get an upgrade at DH this season too.

I read this post, and I can't help but think...which players are you talking about when you say either gives them a better chance to win this season. I assume one is Ethier, but who is the other that you're comparing him to?

:huh:

I read this post, and I can't help but think...which players are you talking about when you say either gives them a better chance to win this season. I assume one is Ethier, but who is the other that you're comparing him to?

:huh:

LOL...I see what I did. 

I'm not completely against an Ethier-Wilson trade but I believe there are better options out there that may be just as obtainable and would either a) not be such a burden to our team contract wise and/or b ) would give us a long term controllable piece while reducing payroll.

Maybe these other options (Adam Lind for one) are not available and/or the asking price is too much or perhaps the Angels don't have the right set of trade chips.

Ethier is a platoon bat only hitting from the left side. He's piss poor against LHP so we will need to make sure there is a good platoon partner for him (maybe that's Cron at DH or Cowgill at LF). His defense in LF will likely never be better than average and more likely it will be below average.

We would be paying his large contract for another two years after 2015 which is not something that Dipoto likely wants to be doing.

I'm willing to bet we could acquire Lind for a set of prospects that we won't lose sleep about losing and retain Wilson and/or trade him (and eat some 2015 salary) to another team in need of a LH starter (of which there are 3-5 in contention that do poorly against LHP). However if the market doesn't develop as the Angels hope then Ethier is certainly an option that could get the job done, he's just not an ideal option.

Edited by ettin

I'm not completely against an Ethier-Wilson trade but I believe there are better options out there that may be just as obtainable and would either a) not be such a burden to our team contract wise and/or b ) would give us a long term controllable piece while reducing payroll.

Maybe these other options (Adam Lind for one) are not available and/or the asking price is too much or perhaps the Angels don't have the right set of trade chips.

Ethier is a platoon bat only hitting from the left side. He's piss poor against LHP so we will need to make sure there is a good platoon partner for him (maybe that's Cron at DH or Cowgill at LF). His defense in LF will likely never be better than average and more likely it will be below average.

We would be paying his large contract for another two years after 2015 which is not something that Dipoto likely wants to be doing.

I'm willing to bet we could acquire Lind for a set of prospects that we won't lose sleep about losing and retain Wilson and/or trade him (and eat some 2015 salary) to another team in need of a LH starter (of which there are 3-5 in contention that do poorly against LHP). However if the market doesn't develop as the Angels hope then Ethier is certainly an option that could get the job done, he's just not an ideal option.

As I mentioned in another thread about a week or so ago, if we could pry Ethier AND Van Slyke loose, we'd set up a perfect LF platoon.

It would take more than CJ to get both of them though.

Didn't say it wouldn't. For me, it would depend on HOW MUCH more. If we could trade CJ + someone like Bedrosian (they need some help bridging the gap to Jansen), I'd be ok with that.

I would love to see Cespedes on our roster. Hits for power, good defensively, cannon arm.

Agree, plus he's a LF, he would be a perfect fit.

Oakland turned to shit as soon as he left.  Coincidence?

Edited by Jay