• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ethier For Wilson Rumors

I'll speak about Ethier in an upcoming Trade Target article as it is an "obvious" option. However the difference in value in the contracts is approximately, give or take a few million, $10MM. The Dodgers would have to provide either salary relief or some other considerations for this to make sense from a value perspective.

However I don't think Jerry's a fan of retaining so much money in 2016 and 2017. I think he would rather trade Wilson to another team and eat most of his salary for this year only in order to eliminate the $20MM 2016 commitment. Dipoto very likely wants to eliminate as much payroll as he reasonably can for next season.

We also have to consider the modern historical precedents. Can any of you remember a trade between two contending teams, veteran for veteran? It has happened before, but rarely.

Generally, contending teams prefer to retain talent for a title run and not reallocate.

But then again, rarely have we ever seen a trade that makes more sense than Ethier-Wilson.

It makes more sense with Ethier at DH not in LF. His defense is in decline. There are other options for LF that are better defensively although whether they are available or not is another matter. There are also other options (Lind for example) that would be just as effective at DH and might not cost a lot.

I really think Dipoto will try to trade Wilson but not to the Dodgers. He'd rather try to get most if not all of Wilson's 2016 salary off the books in my opinion. If he ate most of the rest of Wilson's salary this year in trade and throw in 1-2 prospects he could get a significant piece back in return from another team.

Ethier's certainly a proven veteran but he is a platoon bat only. His numbers against LHP are abysmal.

Ethier would be a solid acquisition. He'd play LF for the Angels this year, would move to DH and platoon with Cron next year after the Angels sign Upton.

I think Upton would be great but, if you want him, get ready to go 8-10 years on a contract.  Don't know if Arte wants another of those contracts on the ledger

Not crazy about the idea of trading a starting pitcher for a high-priced DH.  

For me DH is a role that you rotate players through for various reasons.

Prefer to upgrade a position player.

So unless Ethier is an everyday position player then I would not be in favor of the trade.

to trade Wilson, who has been one of our better SPs this year, you have to really believe that Heaney and/or Tropeano are ready right now. Not sure I'm ready to risk that for a so-so DH on the wrong side of 30.

I'm not sold on Eithier but if CJ has any trade value and we can get a decent left fielder I say do it. Wilson has already started to look shaky recently. I fear we will just fall apart.

to trade Wilson, who has been one of our better SPs this year, you have to really believe that Heaney and/or Tropeano are ready right now. Not sure I'm ready to risk that for a so-so DH on the wrong side of 30. 

A 142 OPS+ = "so so".

This forum is amazing.

Not crazy about the idea of trading a starting pitcher for a high-priced DH.  

For me DH is a role that you rotate players through for various reasons.

Prefer to upgrade a position player.

So unless Ethier is an everyday position player then I would not be in favor of the trade.

He's a RF. Can probably play LF at an average level.

Why people keep calling him a DH is beyond me. His defense isn't great, but it sure as hell is better than Joyce.

Maybe a better plan is to look for salary relief and build for next year?

This year looks like an average year.  Good pitching seems to consistently stop the Angels offense.  Something that was evident in last year's playoffs as well.