• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels Future LF is....

Sherman's an athletic dude, but if I were making a LF depth chart he's fall in behind Hinshaw, Green, Brown and Kubitza.

I think Sherman's true value will be in his ability to play 3B and 2B. Here in a year or so we're going to have a young 3B and either a first or second year starter at 2B. That means there'll be some ups and downs and if Johnson can step in when things aren't going so hot, he'll have carved out a reserve role in the major leagues.

I was told during the offseason that the Angels discussed Ichiro internally (which wasn't well received and even led a few to question my sources which is always lovely to read). Later they traded for Joyce, so at the very least there was a sense that they'd need a lefty bat that could play DH/LF.

I don't know if that means they were interested in making a run or covering their bases but I will say that the Angels are well aware of who Ichiro is at this point in his career. They clearly felt Joyce was better for 2015.

So to me, unless they're looking to not spend money and then go all out in FA, Ichiro just won't be an option.

He's off to a slow start with regards to his BA, but his OBP is nice (.369), as is his walks/strikeouts (21/19), with 7 SB and 19 runs scored from the top of the lineup.

I'm a big Sherman Johnson fan. Having him in LF and leading off would give our team a boost IMO. 

The Shermster's BBABIP is over 50 points below the league average ....  the low batting average is noise.

His walk rate is nearly double the league average, his pull rate is strong, his LD rates are above league average, his Pop up, swinging strike and K rates are all below league average.  His wOBA is .357

Basically every predictive measure you can look at rates favorably.  His stint in AA so far is a rousing success, and in a park that typically gives batters some issues.

Edited by Inside Pitch

The Shermster's BBABIP is over 50 points below the league average ....  the low batting average is noise.

His walk rate is nearly double the league average, his pull rate is strong, his LD rates are above league average, his Pop up, swinging strike and K rates are all below league average.  His wOBA is .357

Basically every predictive measure you can look at rates favorably.  His stint in AA so far is a rousing success, and in a park that typically gives batters some issues.

Another walk and a double tonight for Sherman! 

The Angels had him playing in LF in spring training too. 

If they groom Sherman Johnson as an outfielder, his OB ability (Speed & Pop) would look awfully good at the top of the lineup.

Would love to see this.

LF Johnson

CF Trout

RF Calhoun

1B Pujols

3B Freeze/Kubitza

DH Green/Cron/Joyce (trade at or before the deadline?)

C Perez

SS Aybar

2B Giavotella

Santiago, Wilson, Richards have been fine, Shoemaker is getting his velo and arm strength back (10 K's last night, looked good). Weaver needs to be fixed. We have some good SP prospects on the way and close. 

As last season showed, you can never have too much pitching.

I doubt we have the money for Heyward.  He isn't hitting in St. Louis yet, but he will and the same Gold Glove level defense is present.  He'll hit the market at age 26 and some team is going to pay dearly for the expected production between ages 26-32.  He can be a 30/30 player, similar to Kemp a couple years back.  Not sure that'll ever happen, but the talent and youth is there.  That results in money. 

Oddly enough, Upton's proven performance will likely only garner an equal or lesser contract due to the fact that he'll be hitting Free Agency in his age 28 season. Honestly, I'm not sure the Angels have the long term financial ability to acquire either of them without accepting the luxury tax as a way of life as the Dodgers and Yankees do.

We can operate just under it with Trout, Hamilton, Pujols, Weav and Wilson on the payroll.  And in the next three seasons, we'll see Weav, Wilson and then Hamilton off.  But that money is simply going to be replaced by the money they'll need to commit to Richards, Shoemaker and Calhoun. 

The Angels will need offense, not only now, but for the next 5 seasons down the road because outside of Kubitza, Yarbrough, Hinshaw and Delgado, there isn't much projectable talent.  Not only are they going to need to trade some of that pitching depth for a hitter, they're likely going to need to explore free agency too.  Otherwise, it's going to come down onto the shoulders of C.J. Cron, Kyle Kubitza, Giavotella to be top or middle of the order hitters. 

I'm optimistic it will happen, but you have to give yourself options in case it doesn't.  Right now, those options aren't present.