• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

One AL Official predicts Angels will sign Scherzer

KevinJ14

From MLBTR

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/poll-where-will-max-scherzer-land.html

It’s still difficult to predict where Max Scherzer will pitch in 2015 given the right-hander’s salary demands and the seeming lack of obvious suitors, The New York Post’s Ken Davidoff writes.  Two American League officials give their predictions about Scherzer’s landing spot, with one official picking the Angels while the other thinks the Nationals will sign Scherzer and trade Jordan Zimmermann.  Davidoff’s own “best guesses” include the Tigers, Cardinals or Cubs.

In another article they mention it again but with a little bit more information:

Yesterday, Ken Davidoff of the New York Post sized up the rest of the field and rightly noted that the Blue Jays aren’t likely to splurge on Scherzer after showing a reluctance to spend heavily on a reliever.  Davidoff spoke with an AL official who speculated the possibility of the Nationals trading Jordan Zimmermann, a year away from free agency himself, and signing Scherzer – a theory that ESPN’s Jayson Stark washearing quite a bit from others earlier this month.  Another official from a second AL team pegged the Angels as the team to suck it up and pay the luxury tax penalty necessary to sign Scherzer.  Davidoff picked Detroit and St. Louis as the most likely landing spots for Scherzer while leaving room at the table for the Cubs, who were thought to be a top contender at the start of the offseason.

Edited by notti

On the surface, and by normal logic, I agree with Scotty - but we've seen that Artepoto moves in mysterious ways and likes to swoop in and grab the big fish. In other words, I wouldn't put it past them.

I think that is very common with signings of this profile. They are ownership level decisions, perhaps made to some degree on a whim and with emotion. For a common person, it would be like going to a car dealership just to look, and coming home with a new car.

Arte has the best player in baseball and just tasted the post season for the first time in five years. I wouldn't put it past him to sign Scherzer, but I wouldn't bet on it happening.

That being said, if we did sign Scherzer, we'd be pretty ridiculous on paper.

If the Angels get in on Scherzer, it will be all Arte, and frankly, it wouldn't make a damn bit of sense.  

They aren't overly inclined to deal with Boras.  They had a chance to bid on a front line starter who is less of an injury risk, has more long term versatility as a LHer, would have been a year less of commitment, and wouldn't have cost a pick.

So I'm just not feeling it.  

I also just really hope they don't.  I have no confidence in Scherzer being who he is right now for anything more than 2 years.   

If the Angels get in on Scherzer, it will be all Arte, and frankly, it wouldn't make a damn bit of sense.  

They aren't overly inclined to deal with Boras.  They had a chance to bid on a front line starter who is less of an injury risk, has more long term versatility as a LHer, would have been a year less of commitment, and wouldn't have cost a pick.

So I'm just not feeling it.  

I also just really hope they don't.  I have no confidence in Scherzer being who he is right now for anything more than 2 years.   

Yup. The past 2 offseasons, this FO has made an effort to stockpile the team with as many quality, young, cost-controlled arms as they could...likely for the fact that the price of pitching in FA is bonkers and the risk isn't worth it(pitchers carry more risk of injury obviously). I mean, look at the deals Brandon McCarthy just got and even Brett Anderson got $10 million on a 1 year deal despite having not pitched over 45 innings his past 3 seasons. Going all out on 30 year old Scherzer on what would likely be a 6-7 year deal flies in the face of what they have been trying to accomplish in the past calender year. Doesn't make sense and if it does happen it's hard not to think that it would be Owner driven.

I hope it doesn't happen. Lester would have been the one arm I'd have gone after. I trust him to hold up better than Scherzer would, he wouldn't have cost as much, and they don't lose their draft pick.

They are in good shape with the pitching and the depth...and they need to continue going this route. It's similar to what the Cardinals have got going with their collection of young, cheap arms. Build the team around the young quality pitching and fill out other areas, mainly offense, with FA pickups if need be

Edited by bloodbrother

I don't believe that they would bring in an overpaid outsider ACE when we already have a homegrown underpaid insider ACE. It would be a slap in the face to Weaver and it might upset the applecart.

We have been hearing this since he signed the contract. There is 0 evidence this would be the case.

Meh, i dont think weaver would be too upset. Hes made it clear he took a cheaper deal in order for the team to be able to sign other guys. At this point in his career he wants a ring more than money im betting.

Im all for signing signing sherz....today, because its the winter and i want something to talk about. But after the you throw out the wrapping paper and go back to work, you realize you spent too much at christmas.