• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Cuban IFer Roberto Baldoquin

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He probably would have signed with the Angels for less but Diputo made sure that was impossible. How could a GM be so stupidly short sighted and not think, Vlad Jr is a legacy player you have to keep the door open for?

Remember...he PERSONALLY scouted Baldo, his own eyes told him he was making the right call.

On 12/20/2014 at 5:21 PM, KevinJ14 said:

Cuban INF prospect Roberto Baldoquin passed his physical & signed with the #Angels. The deal is done.

Retweet

Favorite

More

B5VpV8UCEAAK52w.jpg

B5VpV8mCAAAerHn.jpg

•  

•  

You know, nobody pointed out that his jersey number was the kiss of death. We collectively missed this.

14 hours ago, Lou said:

i agree

You know, I actually have no problem standing by what I said about Bobby B.  As I alluded to, there's only so much you can see from a video, but in that video, Baldoquin lo0oks pretty darn good.  But that's the nature of those, they're meant to make the player look good.  

14 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not trying to be a dick but it’s kind of funny.    I’m trying to figure out whether Scotty’s analysis on Kyle Kubitza was worse or this.  

Kubitza is one of those guys I missed on, though not for a lack of effort.  I watched him in person several times when he was playing for Salt Lake.  Long, lean, strong, fast, and athletic.  The ball exploded off his bat.  But that jump between the majors and AAA is a gnarly one and Kyle, I think didn't have what he needed between the ears for it. 

Sort of like with Brandon Wood.  The talent seemed to be there, but the guy just couldn't get out of his own head. 

13 hours ago, eligrba said:

Baldoquin probably turns 30 next week. Seems like he he has been in the farm for a long time.

Amazingly, he's still only 24.   Amazingly, in 4 minor league seasons, he never made it to AA until the 2nd half of 2018, his FOURTH minor league season.   That for a guy who has only played A, high-A, and AA ball; and was given the bonus he was given. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Wilson, the same guy who acted like they drafted Johnny Bench in 2015, when they drafted Ward 

When the dust settles there is only three players drafted in the first round after Ward that have seen time in the majors.

Mike Saroka pitcher for the Braves. In 5 starts he has a 3.51 era but keep in mind that's only 25.1 innings of work. Another 5 inning pitcher but he could develop into better next season.

Chris Shaw 1st baseman Giants. We have Pujols and Cron at the time so a first baseman was never a need. His cup of coffee was a little bitter with a 552 ops. His minor league stats aren't all that great either. He's probably back in AAA next season to work on his plate skills.

Christian Stewart OF Detroit. Looks like a player with upside. His cup of coffee this year played to a 117 ops+. His minor league climb has been a consistent high 800 ops at every level. 

So of the guys drafted after Ward you've got two of three with upside and both in areas of need. However there are 13 guys that haven't gotten out of the minors. 

Ward was drafted out of order but is not a disaster and still has a shot at a mlb career. He is also has trade chip value. So it wasn't a pick waste.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Amazingly, he's still only 24.   Amazingly, in 4 minor league seasons, he never made it to AA until the 2nd half of 2018, his FOURTH minor league season.   That for a guy who has only played A, high-A, and AA ball; and was given the bonus he was given. 

He has to be added to the 40 man roster by Nov 20th or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft. 

12 minutes ago, Blarg said:

When the dust settles there is only three players drafted in the first round after Ward that have seen time in the majors.

Mike Saroka pitcher for the Braves. In 5 starts he has a 3.51 era but keep in mind that's only 25.1 innings of work. Another 5 inning pitcher but he could develop into better next season.

Chris Shaw 1st baseman Giants. We have Pujols and Cron at the time so a first baseman was never a need. His cup of coffee was a little bitter with a 552 ops. His minor league stats aren't all that great either. He's probably back in AAA next season to work on his plate skills.

Christian Stewart OF Detroit. Looks like a player with upside. His cup of coffee this year played to a 117 ops+. His minor league climb has been a consistent high 800 ops at every level. 

So of the guys drafted after Ward you've got two of three with upside and both in areas of need. However there are 13 guys that haven't gotten out of the minors. 

Ward was drafted out of order but is not a disaster and still has a shot at a mlb career. He is also has trade chip value. So it wasn't a pick waste.

Agreed, it's just funny how Wilson reacted when Ward was drafted.   Generally, lower first round picks projected to be 2nd-3rd round picks don't get that kind of reaction?