• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Cuban IFer Roberto Baldoquin

an MLB exec I know told me this:

not a big impact guy, but can be a solid Major League piece -- with where this market is going it's a relatively small investment albeit with some risk. I'm mixed on it; he won't be a superstar and could just end up sucking so who knows. Cubans are a total crapshoot.

Whereas blacks are guaranteed to be worth the investment.

• 1 month later...

Is this a big deal or no.

Yep. They're pretty high on him

"He looks like a cross between Yuniel Escobar and Adrian Beltre," Angels General Manager Jerry Dipoto said. "He has a live body, he's strong, he understands the strike zone, he has good power and he knows how to put together an at-bat.

"He's not a raw, let's-wait-and-see-how-this-turns-out projection. He looks like a major league player now. He needs a little time in the minor leagues to adjust to a new country, but he's a pretty mature kid."

cCommentsADD A COMMENT

Dipoto scouted Baldoquin, who bats right-handed, in the Dominican Republic for three days in late October. He also had Angels first base coach Alfredo Griffin, a former major league shortstop, watch Baldoquin, who played three seasons in the Serie Nacional, Cuba's top league.

"We asked Alfredo, 'Can this guy play shortstop?' " Dipoto said. "He said, 'Yes, he can.' We believe he's a shortstop, an everyday player. He's a gifted defender with soft hands and the arm strength to play any infield position. … The only tool that grades out as average is speed. We don't see him as a flyer, a base stealer."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-20141210-story.html

"He's not a raw, let's-wait-and-see-how-this-turns-out projection. He looks like a major league player now. He needs a little time in the minor leagues to adjust to a new country, but he's a pretty mature kid."

Id like to see what Green can do to start the season at 2B.  After a month maybe we can bring up this Roberto fellow. 

My understanding and I could be wrong, but I didn't think he was playing at the highest level of ball in Cuba.

He was playing at the highest level in Cuba. As a 17 and 18 year old he was a backup to Alex Guerrero and his numbers weren't impressive at all. His 19 year old season was his first with a starting position, and he posted a strong OBP with some power and played great defense at 3B, SS, 2B and the OF. He wasn't an elite talent there but he was considered a rising star and earned a spot on their national team. Before he turned pro he was the most dominant 16 year old in the international circuit. If he were born Dominican he would've rivaled Miguel Sano and every team would want him.

I think the Angels just got a right-place-right-time signing here. He hadn't really worked out for anybody yet and I guess a scout just happened to bump into whoever his handler was. The scout watched him and got on the horn.

To me it sounds like the Angels saw him and made a very aggressive high offer so that other teams wouldn't see him and get a chance to develop his market, but I'm not sure whether or not that's true.

He was playing at the highest level in Cuba. As a 17 and 18 year old he was a backup to Alex Guerrero and his numbers weren't impressive at all. His 19 year old season was his first with a starting position, and he posted a strong OBP with some power and played great defense at 3B, SS, 2B and the OF. He wasn't an elite talent there but he was considered a rising star and earned a spot on their national team. Before he turned pro he was the most dominant 16 year old in the international circuit. If he were born Dominican he would've rivaled Miguel Sano and every team would want him.

I think the Angels just got a right-place-right-time signing here. He hadn't really worked out for anybody yet and I guess a scout just happened to bump into whoever his handler was. The scout watched him and got on the horn.

To me it sounds like the Angels saw him and made a very aggressive high offer so that other teams wouldn't see him and get a chance to develop his market, but I'm not sure whether or not that's true.

I like this story and hope it's true.