• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tipping Pros. Thoughts?

gotbeer

Last I will post on this.  In the long run my success directly impacts my daughter's future, paying and supporting her through college, leaving her an inheritance, affording her some luxuries like studying abroad, going to out of state tournaments, etc.  I could have stuck around in an entry level job making 35k a year and getting OT on occasion or I can move up and make more money, earn a better retirement, etc.  It has been years since I was actually paid OT.

I honestly don't know why you got a stick up your ass in the first place.  Because I would rather spend time with my family than clean and I can do it if I spend 300 a month?

Anyway Adam/Brandon/Geoff/etc this thread gave me the motivation to check out some other services to see how much they would charge and almost all of them are more, in fact a lot more.  They offer more for the price, but nothing costs significantly less.  I guess that is a benefit to So Cal, cheaper labor.  The only time I ever hired cleaners in So Cal was when I moved and had to clean the old place.  Does seem like it was cheaper.

Hopefully someday you guys get some more mexicans.

Last I will post on this.  In the long run my success directly impacts my daughter's future, paying and supporting her through college, leaving her an inheritance, affording her some luxuries like studying abroad, going to out of state tournaments, etc.  I could have stuck around in an entry level job making 35k a year and getting OT on occasion or I can move up and make more money, earn a better retirement, etc.  It has been years since I was actually paid OT.

I honestly don't know why you got a stick up your ass in the first place.  Because I would rather spend time with my family than clean and I can do it if I spend 300 a month?

Anyway Adam/Brandon/Geoff/etc this thread gave me the motivation to check out some other services to see how much they would charge and almost all of them are more, in fact a lot more.  They offer more for the price, but nothing costs significantly less.  I guess that is a benefit to So Cal, cheaper labor.  The only time I ever hired cleaners in So Cal was when I moved and had to clean the old place.  Does seem like it was cheaper.

Nate, I'm not singling you out because this applies to everybody here. 

I'm simply pointing out the way companies take advantage of employees by offering "promotions" while making them work more hours.  It's not my business how much you make, but if I had to guess, your promotion probably involved a $10K to 20K raise.  You also said you're working 60 hours a week now. 

An extra 20 hours per week is an extra 1000 hours a year. 

$10K raise divided by 1000 hours = $10/hour

$20K raise divided by 1000 hours = $20/hour

At the lower end of the spectrum ($10K raise), that is worse than minimum wage for the extra hours worked because an hourly employee is entitled to time-and-a-half pay over 40 hours.  Don't sell yourself short Nate, I believe you when you said your time is worth more than $15/hour. 

I'm simply pointing out the way companies take advantage of employees by offering "promotions" while making them work more hours.  It's not my business how much you make, but if I had to guess, your promotion probably involved a $10K to 20K raise.  You also said you're working 60 hours a week now. 

At the lower end of the spectrum ($10K raise), that is worse than minimum wage for the extra hours worked because an hourly employee is entitled to time-and-a-half pay over 40 hours.  Don't sell yourself short Nate, I believe you when you said your time is worth more than $15/hour. 

Its not taking advantage when the employee agrees to it

If one thinks that the employer is taking advantage of them then he/she is welcome to find another job.

If both sides are clear regarding the contract before signing it then nobody is being taken advantage of.

You all make valid points.  I guess the point I was making is that employers take advantage of employees who don't think much about it, which is all the more reason for people to be discerning when offered a "promotion".  I've seen it happen with employees who are not good with numbers.

Im a cheapskate, so im too stingy to hire someone to clean my place (thiugh its tempting). But if you have the money and want to spend it to have more time, theres nothing wrong with that. Im sure everyone posting here spends 'too much' on things others think is stupid (myself included).

Not taking aides here, but the same argument could be made if youbeat out a lot because youre too lazy to cook. If you can afford it, no big deal

I work a lot of hours too, and don't take nearly as much time off as I'd like. I barely take any vacation. I never take sick days. I do it because (1) I kind of have to, as I am the only earner supporting my family, and (2) I am perhaps naively hopeful that it will eventually pay off in the form of a better situation (I.e., more money and less work).

And I think I do it for the same reasons as Nate: make money to provide for my family. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes it does apply and while I get being a server is entry level I'm sure they didn't look at his extra $20 and decide it wasn't worth breaking. It's common practice in the service industry to give as little bills as possible so that the person tipping will leave a higher denomination.....especially an industry where their income is derived from tips.

Yes it does apply and while I get being a server is entry level I'm sure they didn't look at his extra $20 and decide it wasn't worth breaking. It's common practice in the service industry to give as little bills as possible so that the person tipping will leave a higher denomination.....especially an industry where their income is derived from tips.

I think this is a misconception. I served for a long time in college, and neither I nor anyone else did that. I think when it happens it is due more to carelessness or stupidity on the part of the server rather than intent.

It amazes me that waiters and bartenders tend to bring in 50-60k+ a year. Since the majority of it is in tips, they don't have to pay as much in taxes.

I don't understand why I'm supposed to tip a bartender for a couple beers..

And then we have the chefs who work more hours breaking their back on a shitty salary.

sorry for going off topic. Back to w/e you guys were arguing about.

Edited by Poozy

fwiw, he was a young server and i gathered a relatively new one. the manage came and asked me at one point if the service was okay and had a real concerned look on her face. made me wonder if he had had some problems previously or wasn't taking to the new job as well as hoped for.

• 3 weeks later...