• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Leave Smith as closer?

Yeah we gave up three very good players for a set up man. This trade is nothing short of a disadter. We did not need the guy!

Hes done a great job there. I dont think we should put in someone new right away. Street would be solid as a 7th and 8th inning guy.

Then it had better be Smith to Jepsen to Street, because pitching Smith and Street back-to-back negates the advantage had from pitching extremely different styles back-to-back in Jepsen and Smith.

How else has Smith retired 33 out of his past 34 batters faced?

Your second sentence has absolutely nothing to do with your first sentence.  

Your second sentence has absolutely nothing to do with your first sentence.

Why is that? One of the reasons for Smith retiring 33 of 34 batters may well be the 9th inning batters watching Jepsen's heat and slider, even if from the bench, and then having to adjust to Smith's more finesse style.

Why is that? One of the reasons for Smith retiring 33 of 34 batters may well be the 9th inning batters watching Jepsen's heat and slider, even if from the bench, and then having to adjust to Smith's more finesse style.

Last season the A's had Doolittle, Cook, and Balfour 7-8-9 slinging 95+ and it didn't seem to help hitters at all.

You make it sound like you don't think this is true. I'd like to hear your reasoning

Obligatory Comment:  Who you pitch in innings 6, 7, an 8 is just as important as who you pith in the ninth.  I believe that.

Lol sorry. Nope, I do actually believe it as well. But was shocked this wasn't brought up already. So felt it was obligatory to post it.

While who you pitch to in the 6th, 7th, and 8th innings are just as important as in the 9th, it takes a certain mindset to close out a game.  I think Smith has that mindset and I think he will be used to close out many games when it is necessary.  Street has more experience in the role, but if you look at the stats Smith has been better.  Smith has a 0.39 ERA in the 9th compared to Streets 1.29 ERA (Street has about 5 more IP then Smith in the 9th). Smith has blown 4 saves this year though.  I think Street should be seen as our primary closer, but for the most part they should switch off.