• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Raul Ibanez Released!

jshep

Yes, the trivia answer is Alfredo Amezega. Let it go.

My point was that every team has their bad moments at evaluating talent. I wasn't picking on the Angels per se.

Mike Piazza wasn't desired by anyone, and was drafted in the 62nd round as a favor to Tommy Lasorda, the godfather to his younger brother.

Teams routinely miss the boat on some very good or even great players.

True. And I remember Ibanez.coming through in the clutch more than once. I am not advocating for the guy but I don't know how many it cost us by giving him time. I am willing to guess we have lost at least 12 from our bullpen.

It's impossible to pin point games he cost us.

But just look at tonight's game alone.

They don't win tonight's game with Ibanez in the lineup and Cron on the bench.

SRTFN:Stop Ruining The Failo Narrative

I do not think that my initial comment was a failo narrative.  It was referencing the recent history of the Angels experiencing either really good results or really bad results from free agency signings.  It would be nice to improve the consistency of positive results, like many other clubs seem to do.  I know that you can't predict everything, but certain clubs seem to be able to minimize their exposure to bad signings and are able to recognize it early enough to make the appropriate changes.

I guess I would like the flavor of the kool-aid to change before I begin drinking.  However, you may continue to imbibe.

According to Baseball Reference, he cost us exactly one win, assuming an average player replaced him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/i/ibanera01-bat.shtml#batting_value::none

WAA, -1

Well I'm just gonna go ahead and assume the guy playing in place of Ibanez(Cron,Green,Cowgill,Calhoun) would've earned 1-2 WAR in that time.

Edited by Poozy

Can't do better than .222/.300/.275 6 EXB out of 42 hits?

again, whos available for what we have to trade?

Oakland gave up green for callaspo last year.....let that sink in.

The only 3B's that are plus out there right now are home grown, sans beltre. Which is why that continues to be reagins' chief failure

we were headed over early to the AngelsWin.com tail gate site to deliver waters for the tailgater (we managed that but did not get back for the tail gater -- oh well !). As we headed out of the parking lot on the Orangewood exit -- the guy taking the redeemable parking stubs asks us  -- do you like Raul Ibanez -- at which point  I mention that the Halos should release him because he is batting at .147 clip or there - abouts........parking lot attendant there says -- they just released him this morning --

this is how I found out.

Ibanez was a great guy and a true professional -- but the facts are he just could not produce for the Halos...........

Meanwhile, this CJ Cron guy does nothing but hit line drives every time up or so it seems.......

good call by Halos Front Office -- still, tough to see a good guy like Ibanez end his career this way......but. honestly. the Halos roster got stronger as soon as the Ibanez release happened.

I hold no ill will toward Raul Ibanez, and I have always admired him as a hitter. He always seemed to kill us when he faced us, and it's usually a good thing to get a guy like that on your side when you get the chance. The problem is that we waited too long to do it, paid far too much for the privilege and waited much too long to cut him loose when it became apparent that what we were seeing is what he has become rather than just a slow start or prolonged slump.