• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

UFC Thread

Your definition is also wrong.

A catch weight is a term used in combat sports such as boxing and mixed martial arts to describe a weight limit for a fight that does not fall in line with the traditional limits for weight classes. In boxing, a catch-weight is negotiated when the weigh-ins are conducted a day before the fight.

So if they fought at 195, that would have been catch weight.  But they didn't do that either.  Cormier was 205.  Silva was just under weight.

Kind of like when heavyweights fight and one is at 230 and the other is at 265.

So again, it wasn't catch weight, it was just a fight at 205 where one opponent wasn't prepared and fought under weight.

I'm well aware what the literal and technical term of the word is, or rather, how it's generally used.

I am guessing you have never wrestled at a high level or fought at a high level before? We used it all the time to simply describe matches between different weight classes or fill-ins without having or needing to be specific.

It was colloquial for us and not something dudes that play WoW use to describe specific terms of a professional match. 

Yeah, ok... sure.

I have watched wrestling, UFC and boxing for more than 15? years and that term has never been used for anything other than fights between weight classes with restrictions.  Sounds like you and your wrestling bros were just using it wrong.

No, it's just nerds like yourself think it's restricted to formal matches with agreed upon weight restrictions.

As the definition stated, it's simply a difference in weight classes.

But what do I know, you've been watching for 15 years (with a question mark), so you are more apt to explain to everyone on message boards.

Neither definition stated that it was simply a difference in weight classes, you should probably re-read them.  One said unrestricted, which is wrong, the other said it was restricted to a weight that is not a traditional weight class.  The Cormier/Silva fight didn't fall into either of those.

Dude was roided and that was the best he could do?  He looks like he could be on a poster for steroids so it is not a surprise.

Rumor was that this was the biggest PPV they have ever had by quite a bit but the sale was already done before UFC200 they just didn't want to announce until after.

I honestly don't see the UFC keeping up with their success.  They lack a superstar right now, closest would be McGregor and maybe Rousey if she comes back and dominates again.  I kinda think she will decide to retire if she keeps getting movie deals.

Bet the UFC is losing a ton of money Jon Jones being a roided out crackhead.

What the UFC has going for it is the constant amount of upsets and the fact anyone seems to be winning on any given fight and there are a lot more solid to above average fighters. Shit sucked when Grace or Liddell constantly won. Like the NFL and parity, it's good for the sport. 

What would blow is if shit gets stagnant and boring like the Lesnar era when some dude that couldn't even fight was beating people up just one being twice their size.. It just wasn't entertaining. I couldn't fathom watching Lesnar/Hunt type fights, I'd probably switch to the shitty boxing fights out now.

Heavyweight has been shit for a while.  The Nogiera's, Mir, big country were fun but never super great.  Guys like GSP at 170 were boring as fuck to watch too, he was just like Aldo, he stayed back and just countered and always went 5.

Sweet spot has always been 185 and 205 IMO. W Silva, A Silva, Sonnen, Belfort, Machida, Henderson, Rua, Jones and Evans usually put on a show.

Nevada Deputy Attorney General Caroline Bateman, in asking for an extension of Jones’ temporary suspension until such time as he could be brought in for a full disciplinary hearing, named Hydroxy Clomiphene (an anti-estrogenic agent) and Letrozole metabolite (an aromatase inhibitor) as the two substances Jones tested positive for in his June 16 out-of-competition drug screen.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/nevada-identifies-jon-jones-flagged-substances-extends-his-suspension

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Yeah for the same substance on a later date (both before the fight). I would guess maybe they found the substance in a product on an approved list?

If that is the case and you are Dana White you have to be beyond pissed.  That Jones/Cormier fight being called off totally derailed UFC 200.