• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jeppy since April 1

If Jepsen was the closer or even a set up guy I would agree. But he isn't. How many bullpens have a #5 reliever that shuts everyone down every time he's asked?

I'm not saying Jepsen is great. I'm saying holding him to a higher standard is wrong.

He has pitched well in 12 of his 14 appearances this season. Asking a #5 reliever to come in to high pressure situations and expect him to put out fires every time is just silly.

How can we expect Jepsen to put out fires, or close games, or pitch in the 7th inning, or not trip and fall on his way out of the bullpen?   How Do We Even Know Jepsen Is Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real.  

If Jepsen was the closer or even a set up guy I would agree. But he isn't. How many bullpens have a #5 reliever that shuts everyone down every time he's asked?

I'm not saying Jepsen is great. I'm saying holding him to a higher standard is wrong.

He has pitched well in 12 of his 14 appearances this season. Asking a #5 reliever to come in to high pressure situations and expect him to put out fires every time is just silly.

You're simply wrong.  You continue to ignore the inherited runner issue.

The excuse Santiago gets is that he doesn't have enough run support. Those numbers are acceptable for a 5th starter. With Jepsen, whose same sample size is better, people say he should be DFA'd, has no place on this team even though he's probably the 5th reliever.

Why?

Relievers are supposed to have lower ERA's. Comparing them to starters doesn't work. 

The excuse Santiago gets is that he doesn't have enough run support. Those numbers are acceptable for a 5th starter. With Jepsen, whose same sample size is better, people say he should be DFA'd, has no place on this team even though he's probably the 5th reliever.

Why?

Because Santiago is a relatively younger pitcher that has the potential to become a good 3rd or 4th starter. Jepsen has a long history of being a below average RP. There's young guys in the minors that have the potential to be a lot better than him. Jepsen had a lot of chances. It's time to end the Jepsen experiment. Edited by AngelsAndRamsFan

No I didn't. I addressed it.

If that's what you call "addressing it," then your argument is even dumber than I thought.  HE HAS ALLOWED 7 OF THE 14 INHERITED BASERUNNERS TO SCORE.  It's not like it's one game, dude.  It's an ongoing issue.  That rate is horrible.  Do you understand that?  Seriously.  I'm not sure you do.  So he's had 2 terrible games of his own to get his ERA to over 6 for the year AND he's allowed half of the runners on base when he has come in to score.  THAT IS TERRIBLE.

so he gets a pass?  granted his continued suck is not totally his fault as most relievers who such like this don't get 13 years worth of opportunities, but is he not somewhat accountable for just not being good?

Let's play a little stats game.  Because we know that WPA is the sum of what has actually happened in any given appearance and it also take leverage into account, let's look at where Jep falls in the list of the sum of the events of every relief pitcher over the last 3+ years.

He ranks 144th out of all relievers over that time.  Just for assumptions sake lets assume that ever team has five relievers on the list meaning that out of 150 relievers on the 30 teams in baseball, he is the 7th worst over the last 3+ years. 

But what happens if we don't make that assumption and look at just the halos who had had one of the worst bullpen in baseball over the last 3+ years.  6th worst if you go by WPA.  The Angels have had 14 guys work out of the pen the last 3+ years who have at least 40 ip.  Jepsen ranks 10th, but he is 4th in ip on that list.  Bobby Cassevah had more value to this team.  So did Hisanori Takahashi. 

So if you want to make the argument that the worst guy in any pen isn't very good then fine.  But don't try and sell me that he's allowed to be this bad. 

Jepsen sucks, has always sucked, and can be expected to continue his suckage.

End.

Of.

Story.

You know, I consider myself a stats guy. In Jepshit's case, I don't need the stats to tell me he sucks. All I have to do is watch him "pitch".

This guy is like a really bad cat...one that you run over 8x and is on his 9th life, and you STILL want to run him over*. Can we just be done with him already?

*Disclaimer: I love animals and would never actually consider running over a cat. Especially 8 times. I try to type this with one on my lap.

There are a LOT of teams with a better #5 reliever than Jepsen. That's the point!

I want to know why my total lack of developing lefty relievers thread was deleted. No foul language was involved, and it was TOTALLY true.

You must have hurt someone's feelings.

Now say you're sorry, and you had better mean it mister!

My comments were made in regards to why Santiago got a pass but Jepsen didn't. Even though their sucktitude over the past 10+ innings have been similar. (actually Santiago has been worse). You all have made it clear that it's ok for Santiago to suck but not Jepsen. I get it. Jepsen does suck. But expecting your #5 bullpen guy to get inherited runners out at a rate closer to a #2 or #3 bullpen guy is a little bit too high in my opinion.

Both Jepsen and Santiago are what they are. One gets a pass, the other doesn't. Nothing wrong with that. I just wanted to know why.

Kevin Jepsen since his MLB debut 7 years ago

225 2/3 IP

4.35 ERA

1.44 WHIP

.271 BAA

Basically, if he was a starter, he'd be on par with Joe Blanton(4.51 ERA, 1.36 WHIP for career) or Joe Saunders(4.31 ERA, 1.40 WHIP for career)

Maybe through the first 20-30 pitches.

Than he'd have to throw another 60-80.

If you only have a 4,3 era as a reliever...that's basically a 7 for a starter.

Edited by DW711

My comments were made in regards to why Santiago got a pass but Jepsen didn't. Even though their sucktitude over the past 10+ innings have been similar. (actually Santiago has been worse). You all have made it clear that it's ok for Santiago to suck but not Jepsen. I get it. Jepsen does suck. But expecting your #5 bullpen guy to get inherited runners out at a rate closer to a #2 or #3 bullpen guy is a little bit too high in my opinion.

Both Jepsen and Santiago are what they are. One gets a pass, the other doesn't. Nothing wrong with that. I just wanted to know why.

No, the argument you're making simply doesn't make sense.  That's why people are calling you out on it.

We've seen this from Jepsen for several years running.  There is really no chance or hope he's going to improve or get better.  He is what he is.  He's not going to grow into the role.  He's not going to improve his pitches.  Santiago however, is very young.  All the things that I have stated that cannot happen for Jeppy can happen for Santiago.  That is the biggest reason why he gets a "pass" as you put it.

Over time, we will find out if Santiago is capable of getting outs the 3rd time through a lineup. I just hope it doesn't cost this team a playoff spot trying to find that out. I understand we have no one in the minors to replace him, outside of Grube, but DiPoto better be looking around the league for a veteran that is capable of being a more solid #5 starter for 2 reasons.

1) so that the Angels have a better chance of winning every 5th day

2) to make the bullpen better because Santiago would do that instantly.

Not trying to give a free pass or condemn either pitcher, but 10 innings for both is hardly an equitable comparison.  They serve different roles and their usage impacts how the stats are to be analyzed..   10 innings is a larger sample size for a RP than it is a SP - not sure that appearances can be used either for different reasons.  

You give greater rope to Santiago because he's got the significantly better track record, both as a reliever and because he has the ability to start.