• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols looks exactly the same

Have to agree that Pujols, other than looking better on his wheels, still looks the same at the plate.

It isn't like he's been facing tough pitching, and I'ts hard to believe that a guy who makes his living with a bat hasn't been taking pitches in a batting cage somewhere. It's not looking real promising at this early point in ST.

Could get real ugly if Hamilton comes back looking like last year, also.

We haven't even seen him yet.

so how do you figure after not hitting minor league pitchers in spring training that he will magically learn how to hit major league pitching during the season?

Why do you think that hitters are 100% ready one week into spring training?

So for people who are interested in the quality of opponents ..  BBRef has been tracking this for the last couple of years.  http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAA/2014.shtml

Third column: 10 - MLB, 8 - AAA, 7 - AA, 5 - High A.

Among the regulars, Pujols has seen the highest quality opponents at 9.3.  Kendrick and Aybar are second at 9.1

not in the games I've seen. He's never been a great fielder

What?! Never been a great fielder?!! He's a 2 time Gold Glove winner and in 2007 he was 5th best in defensive WAR. Yea, never been good... Misinformed you are. Sheesh

From May 5th 2012 (day of first HR) to Aug 22nd (the 23rd thru 28th he missed due to knee injury) Pujols had a .985 OPS. So, yea, he can still hit a year and a half later.

Just thought this thread needed some facts to balance out the rank negativity. For the record, yes, Albert's numbers say he is as good as Hank Aaron & Babe Ruth. He is definently better than Big Papi and everyone thought he was washed up too.

What?! Never been a great fielder?!! He's a 2 time Gold Glove winner and in 2007 he was 5th best in defensive WAR. Yea, never been good... Misinformed you are. Sheesh

Yeah -- using DRS, his career total of 135 blows away the rest of MLB's 1B during that time -- Tex is second at 94 despite playing in more innings.   It's possible people may be looking at Pujol's Def figure of -.68.1 and writing him off as a bad defender Vs comparing that number to other 1B to see how he ranks.

As a whole it really doesn't matter what defensive metric is used, Pujols ranks very favorably vs. players with similar playing time at the position. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=10000&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2001&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=10,d

Even after reducing the sample size to 5K innings and the last 5 years to try to focus on his decline years he still grades out to a top 5 defensive 1B.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Why do you think that hitters are 100% ready one week into spring training?

Exactly. Because everyone who hits well in ST ends up doing well in the season, while everyone who sucks in ST does poorly in the season. Especially those who haven't hit a baseball in 8 months. It's a good thing we have ST to show us exactly how well and poorly everyone will do for the season. That way fans know in March whether their teams will be any good and whether they need to follow them for the season or not.  ;)

Have to agree that Pujols, other than looking better on his wheels, still looks the same at the plate.

It isn't like he's been facing tough pitching, and I'ts hard to believe that a guy who makes his living with a bat hasn't been taking pitches in a batting cage somewhere. It's not looking real promising at this early point in ST.

Could get real ugly if Hamilton comes back looking like last year, also.

We haven't even seen him yet.

What, you haven't seen the other thread where he's crushing the ball in batting practice??

I am one of the biggest Pujols bashers on here but give him at least until a couple weeks into the season. He has barely started facing live pitching for the first time in 8 months. Yeah, he's most likely going to suck again in 2014 but let's give him a full ST and some regular season starts in fairness to him.

Like me i am sure most of us have given him the last 2 years.  He's done... we will never see pujols the way he was or the way we hoped for we won't even see a glimpse.  Power will have to come from Trout & Hamilton

I've seen all the games and Albert's defense has certainly improved.   I've heard a few "I'm sure Albert would like THAT pitch back again".  It's still way early but it would be comforting to see him drive a pitch. I have no idea where he's at or should be at but so far he looks awful at the plate.  

What?! Never been a great fielder?!! He's a 2 time Gold Glove winner and in 2007 he was 5th best in defensive WAR. Yea, never been good... Misinformed you negativity.

Thank you.

It's obvious when you read comments like his that he either knows nothing about baseball or is just here to troll.

I'm going with the latter.

From May 5th 2012 (day of first HR) to Aug 22nd (the 23rd thru 28th he missed due to knee injury) Pujols had a .985 OPS. So, yea, he can still hit a year and a half later.

Just thought this thread needed some facts to balance out the rank negativity. For the record, yes, Albert's numbers say he is as good as Hank Aaron & Babe Ruth. He is definently better than Big Papi and everyone thought he was washed up too.

Pujols has been well below average defensively 12 of the 13 seasons he's been in the league.  And the numbers show it.    LOL @ using gold gloves to make an argument

Soooooo....yeah.

Edited by Hollyw00d

Pujols has been well below average defensively 12 of the 13 seasons he's been in the league. And the numbers show it. LOL @ using gold gloves to make an argument

Soooooo....yeah.

I think we all agree Gold Glove awards are not validation for defense.

But please, provide defensive metrics that support your statement.

Pujols has been well below average defensively 12 of the 13 seasons he's been in the league.  And the numbers show it.    LOL @ using gold gloves to make an argument

Soooooo....yeah.

Just curious -- what numbers are you basing this on given that the numbers at Fangraphs argue the opposite.

Just curious -- what numbers are you basing this on given that the numbers at Fangraphs argue the opposite.

Not sure how the "Def" stat is measured, but fangraphs has him at -68, which is pretty ****ing awful. Baseball reference has him at about average.

Edited by Poozy