• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 'TANAKA' Thread

Ohtaniland

My prediction: a rather huge bidding war occurs and some team - probably the Yankees, Dodgers, or Mariners - bids through the roof and offers Tanaka something like 7/$175M.

If I were the Angels I would pop the popcorn and watch the show. They really can't take on this risk.

Nobodies going to pay this guy 25m/y though. If some team does, move on.

I think you may be surprised. Its about supply and demand. The supply is weak and the demand is huge, and teams like Seattle and the Yankees are rather desperate to make a splash. Seattle obviously already did, but they know that they're still a ways from contention, plus they want to re-invigorate the "Pacific Rim Connection." And we all now how the Yankees get.

The point being, we Angels fans should just let this one go.

Edited by Angelsjunky

• MLB teams' pursuit of Tanaka will be "insane," writes FanGraphs' Tony Blengino. Not only is Tanaka an excellent pitcher, he's only 25, which means he could be a better investment than most free agents, who are older. Also, unlike other Japanese talents, he's essentially a free agent. He doesn't have to deal with the posting system from previous years, in which Japanese teams, rather the players, reaped the benefits of the free market. Finally, teams have plenty of money to spend.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/tanaka-fest-this-is-going-to-be-insane/

Hype is a terrible drug, and Tanaka is all the rage right now.  Wouldnt shock me at all to see him go that high, particularly given the Dodgers new ownership and the Yankees apparent desire to show the world that they can still get whoever they want if they really want him.  I think a bit of Yankee pride is on the line after their beloved "Robby" went to Seattle of all places.

AJ is right IMO, if the bidding turns into a shit-show the Angels are better off watching.  

I am leaning toward the belief that Garza will turn out to be the better signing, dollar for (far fewer) dollars. I also wonder if the cost of Tanaka will equal the cost of Garza + Maholm, in which case j think the latter would be the better option.

Maholm AND Capuano would likely be an even better signing than any one guy.

• MLB teams' pursuit of Tanaka will be "insane," writes FanGraphs' Tony Blengino. Not only is Tanaka an excellent pitcher, he's only 25, which means he could be a better investment than most free agents, who are older. Also, unlike other Japanese talents, he's essentially a free agent. He doesn't have to deal with the posting system from previous years, in which Japanese teams, rather the players, reaped the benefits of the free market. Finally, teams have plenty of money to spend.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/tanaka-fest-this-is-going-to-be-insane/

That is far and away the best article written on Tanaka and his stuff, etc etc written to date..  Interesting to see the comparisons to Jered Weaver

I am leaning toward the belief that Garza will turn out to be the better signing, dollar for (far fewer) dollars. I also wonder if the cost of Tanaka will equal the cost of Garza + Maholm, in which case j think the latter would be the better option.

I would love to see the Angels sign Garza AND Maholm.  That would actually be smarter than getting Tanaka at this point.

Agreed AB, the more the merrier. The lack of pitching depth really killed us at times last year. The problem I have though is that pitchers always get hurt, adding two unreliable guys to our already question mark filled rotation (at least the bottom of the rotation) would scare me. That's why we really need Tanaka or Garza.

dollar for dollar it's shaping up to be Garza.  Total value over the life of the contract and in particular the next four years it will be Tanaka.  Do you overpay for 2-3 WAR or 3-5 WAR?  If you are going to overpay for value, and the ratio is similar then you might as well go with the better player.  No offense to Maholm, but that type of guy is a dime a dozen.  Grated, our dozen was broken last year. 

Maholm is a nice depth move if you can't get Tanaka, but you are generally better off getting your value from one player than the same value from two players combined. 

Tanaka is likely at least 1 WAR better than Garza.  At least I think he is, but I don't really know for sure.  None of us do.  We'll see if the halos think so because you can justify paying Tanaka up to 7mil more per season if you think he's 1 WAR better. 

Personally, I still think there is more value in Tanaka, Romine at SS and a solid major league ready pitcher for Aybar than Garza and Aybar alone. 

I will say that the one thing the halos have been subject to with their signings of Pujosl and Hamilton is getting near worst case scenario and it's something you have to consider with Tanaka in that he does have some wear on that arm at a young age.