• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 'TANAKA' Thread

Ohtaniland

How do you figure? If the Angels save 9 million by trading Kendrick, their payroll for 2014 goes down by that figure, thus making them 9 million further away from the luxury tax. If Arte is only willing to offer 15 million a year, then by trading Kendrick, that opens up the ability to offer 20+ million without having to worry about going over the tax threshold.

If it were about one year staying under the capp the Angels wouldn't care since it requires multiple years to acrue any significant penalty. But Tanaka will not be signing for one year so deffering $9 million is insignificant to the overall contract. Simply, it is not the tipping point and it's just the trade Kendrick crowd looking for one more reason.

Another thing too, I think the years may be keeping the Angels away. If Tanaka could be had on a 4 or 5 year deal with $20MM per, you'd probably hear about them being interested. The Angels seem hesitant to give pitchers more than 5 years. Didn't they only want to give CJ four years but finally caved and gave him a fifth? I just think it's too many years at too high of a price for the Angels to be comfortable enough to pull the trigger.

If it were about one year staying under the capp the Angels wouldn't care since it requires multiple years to acrue any significant penalty. But Tanaka will not be signing for one year so deffering $9 million is insignificant to the overall contract. Simply, it is not the tipping point and it's just the trade Kendrick crowd looking for one more reason.

Kendrick is under contract for 2 more years. Also Vernon Wells and Joe Blanton are off the books next year. That's well over 30 million saved per year over 2 years.

Masahiro Tanaka will reportedly command a contract in the neighborhood of $120MM over six years (plus the expected $20MM posting fee) and is said to have received such an offer from the Diamondbacks.

To me when something like this is leaked it just screams, "someone else offer me the same kind of contract so I can play in So Cal or NY".

I still wouldn't be surprised if the Angels signed him. We all know Arte likes to be the last one to negotiate, not the first. Those numbers aren't all that staggering considering what some people thought he might get. I understand the risk and so do the Angels. Considering we scouted him on numerous occasions, the real question is what do the Angels think he's worth.

Ken Rosenthal was on Hot Stove this morning and said that despite the reports that the Angels aren't in on Tanaka, he hears from several sources that they are involved.

Not sure what to make of that. I'm still not believing anything in the media.

Ken Rosenthal was on Hot Stove this morning and said that despite the reports that the Angels aren't in on Tanaka, he hears from several sources that they are involved.

Not sure what to make of that. I'm still not believing anything in the media.

Seriously, would anyone at all be surprised if this was the case?

I am torn on this and not because of risk or his salary or the impact his salary has on the luxury tax. Rather, I am torn on it because of the guy who posts here that stole his name. It might be fun to watch him either melt down or simply disappear.

Lol same here

It seems (from the news at least) that the highest offer Tanaka has right now is 6yrs/$120MM from the D-Backs and most likely the Cubs.  I could see the Angels telling Tanaka that they'll offer him 6yrs/$108MM so he could play in a better area than Phoenix and Chicago.  Less money, but a better situation and in an area that has a very large Japanese community.

He's too young to remember the first WBC but I was at the stadium for Japan versus Korea, it was amazing! The atmosphere was incredible and I was one of the few non Asians their. The Korean teams batting order was awesome. They had 7 Lee's a Bok (I think) and a Choi (He Sop). If he saw the atmosphere that night he would know this place would be perfect for him and his family.