• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 'TANAKA' Thread

Ohtaniland

If we didn't make an offer, then I'm convinced the front office is completely over-matched and inept.

Inept is making an offer that would be rejected. I am pretty sure the Angels have a better understanding of what kind of offer would be required and where their cutoff point is than the fans. If they never made an offer it is because they were not about to waste everyone's time.

Inept is making an offer that would be rejected. I am pretty sure the Angels have a better understanding of what kind of offer would be required and where their cutoff point is than the fans. If they never made an offer it is because they were not about to waste everyone's time.

I agree. If the angel's max offer was a laugher, why make it official? Dipoto was sure to have talked to Tanaka's agent. If Close made it clear the proposed offer was not even going to get the coversation started, then time to move on. No west coast or japanese community selling point was going to reduce the price.

My guess is Dipoto talked to Tanaka's agent and said something like: "we love the guy but can't go over $x million. If he wants to play here and were in the neighborhood get back to us and we'll see what we can do."

That was their "formal offer." At that point it's up to Tanaka. If he had bigger offers from other places he'd like to play, there's no reason for the Angels to go further.

Just a guess at a very likely scenario.

My guess is Dipoto talked to Tanaka's agent and said something like: "we love the guy but can't go over $x million. If he wants to play here and were in the neighborhood get back to us and we'll see what we can do."

That was their "formal offer." At that point it's up to Tanaka. If he had bigger offers from other places he'd like to play, there's no reason for the Angels to go further.

Just a guess at a very likely scenario.

pretty much.  The Halos have scouted this guy and in doing so they have put a value on him, done a risk assessment, considered their current obligations, and assigned a dollar value that they could live with as a franchise.  Just because some of us really, really want him and think he'd make a huge difference relative to the 4-6 year outlook for this club, there are a bunch of people with a lot more experience here that we need to trust. 

If they feel like he is worth the money but just can't afford it then that is a true shame. 

I think if they felt he was worth the money it would have been funded. Between the posting fee and current rumors of offers it doesn't look like they were seeing the payoff.

Did you forget the L in payoff?   :P

In all seriousness, the price that is rumored is ridiculous.  But if we don't get him.  And Garza signs elsewhere.  And we make a desperation move to sign Santana or Jimenez.  Get out the popcorn.

I wonder if the Angels have or are going to explore trading Aybar or Howie to make more room to sign Tanaka.

I think Howie is still a top tier 2nd baseman that we need. If Tanaka is asking for that much money then we should just stay clear.

I would love to have Tanaka in our rotation but at some point we just have to just draw a line in the sand in regards to $$$$.

I don't understand why the cubs want him. They aren't even close to competing for a playoff spot

Because he's 25

With the farm the Cubs have, they could be competing within 2-3 years. Around that time, they'd have a guy still in his prime anchoring their starting rotation

Edited by SoWhat

Because he's 25

With the farm the Cubs have, they could be competing within 2-3 years. Around that time, they'd have a guy still in his prime anchoring their starting rotation

and because they are in a financial position to take a chance.  If he doesn't work out, it's not like they are the Rays and it would cripple the franchise.  If he works out, it probably puts them 1-2 years in front of when they expected to make a move.  If he doesn't work it, it doesn't really limit them that much from making other moves to improve the team if need be. 

I think Howie is still a top tier 2nd baseman that we need. If Tanaka is asking for that much money then we should just stay clear.

I would love to have Tanaka in our rotation but at some point we just have to just draw a line in the sand in regards to $$$$.

Agree with this. 

I don't like the idea of trading Howie now. It just hurts the team next year. If the Angels are out of it, then trade Howie at the deadline and call up Lindsey. 

It makes sense.  If you could move Kendrick, you save nearly 10M... You could deal him for prospects if you got Tanaka.

That is not enough to cover half of the posting cost so it is insignificant to the overall cost of the contract and would not be a factor in whether the Angels were to match or best any bid.

That is not enough to cover half of the posting cost so it is insignificant to the overall cost of the contract and would not be a factor in whether the Angels were to match or best any bid.

How do you figure? If the Angels save 9 million by trading Kendrick, their payroll for 2014 goes down by that figure, thus making them 9 million further away from the luxury tax. If Arte is only willing to offer 15 million a year, then by trading Kendrick, that opens up the ability to offer 20+ million without having to worry about going over the tax threshold.