• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 'TANAKA' Thread

Ohtaniland

Yeah, I just hope he doesn't sign with the Dodgers or Mariners.

The Cubs would be nice. Out of the AL and would give them a good starter to go along with an awesome mascot.

Be careful of the Mariners.

First of all if they don't sign Tanaka, they will almost certainly dangle Taijuan Walker to the Rays and acquire David Price (worse in my opinion).

The scariest thing is if they sign Tanaka AND trade for Price!

Felix Hernandez

David Price

Masahiro Tanaka

James Paxton

Hisashi Iwakuma

Vicious starting 5 and that doesn't even consider their other reserve options such as Erasmo Ramirez, Hector Noesi, Brandon Mauerer, et. al.

Their offense still wouldn't be good but their pitching would be elite.

I don't blame him. He's been able to negotiate for less than three weeks, and this has got to be a very tough decision. The money is there no matter where he goes, he is probably weighing his balance between money and where to live. This isn't some MLB guy that has been to every major league city. This is a guy that lives on the other side of the world making a life altering decision. Blame his previous employer and MLB for taking forever to make the posting rules decision.

Which is why small market Bug Selig needs to retire.   He didn't help the situation any.

Honestly, the fact that Dipoto and Moreno have been so discreet about this whole Tanaka thing actually makes me believe we're going after him really strong in the background. I mean everybody's mentioned our teams name in the lists, but it's like Dipoto and Moreno are deliberately shutting all Tanaka rumors down on purpose. If they did feel like they weren't going after him, they'd probably say the same old stuff ''we're weighing our options and definitely will consider whatever can help this team become better.'' But instead they won't even mention his name in interviews and try their best to mention other guys like Garza instead.

I agree with you.  For the past several seasons, we seem to be the mystery team.

Am I the only one who thinks Seattle won't be a big player for Tanaka?

Seattle didn't sign Cano just so they could be playing around .500 baseball. I'm sure they're in on every big name starting pitcher, especially Tanaka.

I think at this point it comes down to the Yankees, Mariners, Angels and Dodgers. Maybe the Cubs make some noise too.

Can someone give me a timeline on this Tanaka deal?

1. When do teams have to get their bids in by?

2. When does he have to decide?

3. Does he accept the bid and then negotiate with the team and is this public knowledge?

4. Can he accept multiple bids and then essentially be a free agent with the bidding teams?

5. How long is the negotiating window for team/teams and what are those dates?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by robblin17

Can someone give me a timeline on this Tanaka deal?

1. When do teams have to get their bids in by?

2. When does he have to decide?

3. Does he accept the bid and then negotiate with the team and is this public knowledge?

4. Can he accept multiple bids and then essentially be a free agent with the bidding teams?

5. How long is the negotiating window for team/teams and what are those dates?

Thanks in advance. 

He is a free agent right now.

He has to decide and sign/agree to terms by Jan 24

Edited by Scott34

Are we done yet with this thing? I am beginning to understand what a woman must be thinking.....initial excitement morphs into hopeful thoughts which moves into reality ending with some sort of an explanation and a plan B.

Good analogy. Except when you are married, there is no "plan B." Or C or D for that matter.

Masahiro Tanaka Rumors: Saturday
By Charlie Wilmoth [January 18 at 1:57pm CST]

Here's the latest on the bidding for Masahiro Tanaka.

• The Cubs are the "lead team" for Tanaka, a source tells Levine (via Twitter).
  • The Cubs have made a "real offer" to Tanaka, tweets 670TheScore.com's Bruce Levine, who also notes that one key factor for Tanaka and his wife will be the presence of a Japanese community in his new city. On Thursday, we heard that the Cubs were "pushing hard" for Tanaka, and Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reported on the "sales pitch" the Cubs made to Tanaka last week.

I hope this is true. I'd love it if the Cubs signed him. 

Chuck, correct me if I'm wrong but..I don't think there's ever been this much chatter on AngelsWin about a specific player being available for us no? Not Pujols or Hamilton because they were out of nowhere. If this Tanaka thing wasn't going on right now, this place would be less quiet for sure.

It's probable that despite reports of not having met Tanaka that the Angels are still interested and could be a finalist as earlier reported. Tanaka is holding up the market so as soon as he signs I expects 6-7 other SP sign within a 2-3 day span.

Why he would want to sign with the Cubs is beyond me, though I'd be ok with it since the Halos probably wouldn't have to face at any point. During inter-league play maybe, It wont be in the series that's for sure.

Edited by The Dude

I have had a funny feeling for a while, that the Cubs could be the winner. They are closer to competing than many believe.

Chicago is a pretty nice "big" city,  much less crazy than NYC, and there would be a lot less pressure on him there than in NYC.

If Tanaka is used to city life, LA (and especially the OC) would be much less desirable than a place like Chicago.

The Cubs have money to spend, and they have been talking about bringing in a big name player this offseason, to throw the fans a bone until the rebuild is complete.

Won't surprise me at all if they outbid everyone.

Cubs window is opening up starting in probably 2015 or 2016. Probably the #2 farm system in MLB behind only the Twins, with a lot of high end offensive prospects. They can spend a good amount of money and it looks like they want to start with Tanaka. Likely see them sign another big FA arm next winter.

This would help make sense of the Edwin Jackson FA signing last year, and they do have Fujikawa who will probably close for them this year. Building around pitching, what a concept.

Fair points, but according to reports he wants to go to a world series and as we all know Cubs and the series don't go together. There's no guarantees those prospects work out either. It just seems like if he really wanted to win he'd choose a team with a better recent track record. I mean they haven't made the playoffs since 08' and were swept in the division series and have averaged just 71 wins over the last 5 years.

Unrelated note: is anyone else having trouble getting the quote function to work?

Fair points, but according to reports he wants to go to a world series and as we all know Cubs and the series don't go together. There's no guarantees those prospects work out either. It just seems like if he really wanted to win he'd choose a team with a better recent track record. I mean they haven't made the playoffs since 08' and were swept in the division series and have averaged just 71 wins over the last 5 years.

Unrelated note: is anyone else having trouble getting the quote function to work?

Nope...lol.

It was a little slow to come up.

If your browser upgrade to IE 11 you are screwed, it is bugged and you can't use the quote or any other copy and paste functions from one page to another.