• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto Fixes Problems by Creating Bigger Ones (Angry rant)

I am not clear about the new problems because the season has not yet started.  Dipoto certainly addressed last season's problems but it remains to be seen whether the changes will work.  Hindsight is always the most accurate technique in identifying the best possible alternatives.

Let's give him a chance....and if it doesn't work this season, Scioscia can eat him.

I think he does but there has to be the right fit - no one was taking.

Its really too bad that the Royals signed Omar Infante. Howie Kendrick seems like a classic Kansas City Royal, who would thrive in a low pressure situation.

It seems like they were only trying when they were looking for pitching. After they traded Trumbo, they could have used Kendrick to replace him in the lineup or go after pitching, it probably opened up a lot more options to get good value for him.

I'm shocked that a thread started by a name like failo was critical of the moves the organization made. By the way I agree with AJ's devils advocate post. How would you all feel if we trade Jepsen for an oft injured number 5 starter who had very good success in the past? Well that is how we all felt about Walden before he was traded. The dude was basically Jepsen, but some people want to pile on because we didn't get a great return on an inconsistent relief pitcher. Greinke wanted to be in the NL because he likes hitting, not a lot we could do, not to mention we were not going to outbid the Dodgers to get him, plain and simple. I think Dipoto's worst move is the Blanton signing.

I'm shocked that a thread started by a name like failo was critical of the moves the organization made. By the way I agree with AJ's devils advocate post. How would you all feel if we trade Jepsen for an oft injured number 5 starter who had very good success in the past? Well that is how we all felt about Walden before he was traded. The dude was basically Jepsen, but some people want to pile on because we didn't get a great return on an inconsistent relief pitcher. Greinke wanted to be in the NL because he likes hitting, not a lot we could do, not to mention we were not going to outbid the Dodgers to get him, plain and simple. I think Dipoto's worst move is the Blanton signing.

And I'm shocked that a moderator could be so misinformed about this team. Walden was an All Star who had one mediocre season. We traded him for known broken goods. I'm not sure why you chose to compare him to Jepsen, because they have very little in common. You're also wrong about Greinke. I suggest you read up on what happened.

Walden was crap, give me a break. He had a solid first half one year and made the ASG. Other than that he had a straight fastball that he couldn't control in the strike zone and a breaking ball that two hopped the plate.

Yet his stats from 2013 outmatch every warm body in the Angels' bullpen.

Edited by failos

How can anyone be mad at the Walden trade? People wanted him dumped and he had some pretty bad control issues and Dipoto took a gamble that backfired.

Vargas for Morales worked out fine, we'd have been in the same position now regardless.

Trumbo trade was great, don't see how anyone could think otherwise. With the prices of SP these says, Dipoto got TWO starters for a one dimensional slugger.

Greinke trade was meh. I'd have happily gone without it but we were in a good playoff position and Dipoto gave us a chance at the division(or so we thought).

Freese trade seems decent so far. I agree with everyone about hating to give up Grichuk but I'm also happier to have Freese on our team than most are.

Blanton was by FAR his worst move. We knew he was mediocre AT BEST and we were trying to build a championship team.

The Greinke trade made sense because it realistically should've put them into the playoffs. I also thought there was a very high chance that the Angels re signed him. That would've happened had the Dodgers not been in the middle of their crazy spending sprees. Losing Segura hurts no doubt though. When you're in a win now mode like the Angels are, you have to take chances on those trades and that one just didn't work out. 

Walden for Hanson was fine. Unless you're trading an elite reliever, I have no issue with trying to take a chance on a guy who had Hanson's track record. 

Dipoto's worst moves have been the Blanton deal and not addressing the bullpen. I still think they're one good arm short of being a good bullpen this year. Another big issue was the lack of depth in the rotation and in the bullpen. It's good to see him starting to address both of those this offseason. 

The Bourjos trade wasn't good on the surface but the Angels needed a 3B and they found a decent one. I would've preferred to hold onto him or trade him for a prospect but it's not a terrible deal. 

The Trumbo trade was incredible. Trading a league average 1B for 2 young starters was exactly what the Angels needed. 

Ibanez is signed to be a DH and will probably never use his glove again. Shuck is the 4th outfielder.

Instead of signing Ibanez, we could have Hamilton and Calhoun there.  Hamilton always faces injuries and will probably need to DH anyway.  Fact is PB was not going to be the 4th outfielder if Trumbo was traded.  And since he was the logic on the need to trade him is flawed.

Except Jespon never made the all star team and walden did!

What Junky said....except I still don't think Bourjos for Freese makes any sense....hold on to Bourjos and you might make a better deal later, when the FA market thins out.....very much reminds me of Edmonds to the Cards---we have an extra OF'er so let's make the best move we can....if the best move isn't a good one, don't do it.....wait....

Otherwise, I agree with Junky...other than Hanson and Blanton, not much I'm critical about...

For me, it's Blanton and Williams. Otherwise, I think he's been pretty good.  Didn't want to trade Morales or Trumbo, but we got the pitching we needed.

Then he should have held on to him until the trade deadline in July, rotated the 4 OF'ers through the DH spot until you get a better package ....dumb move, by a GM who was otherwise very successful.....and while I don't think Bourjos is going to be another Edmonds, it has the same feel to it....very mechanical thinking--we have 4th OF'ers so we have to trade one....no, you don't...at least not until you get a decent package in return...Freese is Kent Botenfield Part 2....veteran guy who had an otherwise mediocre career except for one career year (and one postseason, in Freese's case).....

Sometimes a GM has no choice but to follow the orders of the executives above him.

Dipoto wanted to make Greinke the priority but Arte wanted Hamilton and that's who the team ended up with having little money left to address the pitching needs.  Dipoto has had some bad moves for sure but I think flipping Trumbo for 2 club controlled pitchers was a really good move on paper.  As far as PB goes I'm fine with trading him especially when you look at the two trades together. 

Don't really understand the point of posting this link. 

I'm saying I thought the Angels would be the team to sign him going into the offseason.

I just thought it provided an interesting insight into the events leading to Greinke's signing. I wasn't disagreeing with you.