• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto Fixes Problems by Creating Bigger Ones (Angry rant)

This is where I'm at. 

Saying he wasn't very good might have been too harsh. Most 4th outfielders aren't all that good anyways. If he can put up a 1 WAR season off the bench, then that's fine considering we aren't paying him anything. 

If he is taking time away from Calhoun though, then I would have an issue with it. 

Well he put up 0.5 WAR in almost 500 PA's last year, so color me skeptical.

Strangely his walk and strikeout numbers plummeted last year with the Angels, compared to his time in Houston and his minor league track record, and his BABIP was higher than expected.

The key for Shuck to be a valuable 4th OFer is his defense. Last year he looked bad, but showed continuous improvement. UZR docks him a full win for his lack of defense. If he can be simply average next year with the glove he'll be fine. His offense alone would've be worth about 1.5 WAR last year, which is not great for the playing time he got, but not bad if we expect him to be a fourth outfielder.

I am concerned though that he is likely to see another 400+ PAs this year. Hamilton can't play every day, Pujols will DH from time to time, and Ibanez cannot be expected to be in the lineup 162 games - probably about 120. All of those put Shuck in the lineup. That's not even discussing the possibility of injury. I do see this as an area of weakness for this team, even if it's not that significant.

Well he put up 0.5 WAR in almost 500 PA's last year, so color me skeptical.

Strangely his walk and strikeout numbers plummeted last year with the Angels, compared to his time in Houston and his minor league track record, and his BABIP was higher than expected.

The key for Shuck to be a valuable 4th OFer is his defense. Last year he looked bad, but showed continuous improvement. UZR docks him a full win for his lack of defense. If he can be simply average next year with the glove he'll be fine. His offense alone would've be worth about 1.5 WAR last year, which is not great for the playing time he got, but not bad if we expect him to be a fourth outfielder.

I am concerned though that he is likely to see another 400+ PAs this year. Hamilton can't play every day, Pujols will DH from time to time, and Ibanez cannot be expected to be in the lineup 162 games - probably about 120. All of those put Shuck in the lineup. That's not even discussing the possibility of injury. I do see this as an area of weakness for this team, even if it's not that significant.

Yep. I also see him getting around 400 PAs, which is a few hundred too many for him.

Why can't Hamilton play everyday? He played in 151 games last year, that's pretty much everyday. Not to mention he took a couple of days off to clear his head, or whatever Scioscia called it. I don't recall any injuries last year. If he, Trout Calhoun and Albert each play 150 games then Shick will start about 40-50 games or twice a week. I'd be ok with that.

He seems to be underrated by a lot of the people who overrated PB.  People talking about waiting until the dealine to trade PB seem to ignore the fact that the Angels gave him 2013 to bounce back, earn an every day spot and/or increase his value and it didn't happen. 

Yes, he was really playing like shit before he broke his hand by begging the pitcher to hit him.

Actually, Greinke has stated that he wanted to hit. And who could blame him? He had a .788 OPS IN 2013.

And when every team has at least one All-Star representative, it's not a big deal to make the team. It only takes one good half.

Your argument would make sense if Walden was the only Angel representative on that team.  If I am not mistaken, Hunter and Kendrick were all stars that year.

He was unable to stay on the field because Sosh had to play Abreu and Wells as well!

Trumbo needed to play regardless so I am only bringing up Abreu and Wells!

Damn bro, you can't even criticize scioscisa when he doesn't play your boy bourjos. 

You have to put the blame on either scioscia or bourjos. You can do it man. I know you love both of them, but you can do it.

Edited by Poozy

As an outsider, I'm baffled by the negativity I see about Shuck as well.  

It's surreal.  Hit near .300, positive WAR, struck out rarely, and finished 5th in ROY this year. 

How can somebody slam him and call themselves a sports fan, much less a baseball fan?

His -10.5 Def. and -1.5 Off. tells a different story.  His .308 wOBA was really superb!

I am a baseball fan.

Edited by Scott34

Most 4th outfielders get about 200 at bats.

Most 4th outfielders don't play on a Mike Scioscia led team. Nothing goes by the book with this squad.

This is where I'm at. 

Saying he wasn't very good might have been too harsh. Most 4th outfielders aren't all that good anyways. If he can put up a 1 WAR season off the bench, then that's fine considering we aren't paying him anything. 

If he is taking time away from Calhoun though, then I would have an issue with it. 

This.

League average wOBA was .314 last year. So his .308 wasn't terrible just slightly below average. That is a compliment for a guy who'll be our 4th OF. His defense improved throughout the year. Yes, I did watch the games, I had season tickets. He wasn't great but he was improving. He isn't a defensive replacement but he could definetly fill in for off days and his bat will play.

That is the key for me about Shuck, his bat. He is nearly league average and I don't hate having his bat in a lineup. Most 4th OF are a painful drop off as far as offensive production is concerned.

Finally, just because the Astros let him go to soon doesn't mean anything. Many teams screw up. The Twins let Ortiz go, foolish. That is a lame argument. So far I've heard no argument that supports the assertion he is a terrible 4th OF. Just the opinions of a bunch of major league scouts, I guess.

Where is your evidence?

Edited by GregAlso