• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto Fixes Problems by Creating Bigger Ones (Angry rant)

I just thought it provided an interesting insight into the events leading to Greinke's signing. I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Gotcha. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

I remember reading that and finding it odd that a guy actually said he wanted to go to the highest bidder. Most players aren't openly honest about chasing money. 

If he reverts to 2011-2012 form, then yes.

The worry is that 2013 is what he is from now on, and also that his off field issues will eventually affect his on field play.

If you read my most recent Inside Edge piece on this board you'd know what I'm about to post here.

If Freese only hits like he did in 2013 he would put up equal production to Trumbo in 2013. They both had a wRC+ 106 last year. They were both responsible for the same number of runs to their teams when park and league factors are averaged in. They were both 6% better than average last year. 2013 wasn't as good as previous years for Freese but it was still vastly better than the wRC+ 93 Callaspo put up at 3rd for us.

I wasn't going to post on this ridiculous thread because Failo is speaking from emotion only, not facts. He can "feel" what he likes but feelings aren't facts. On facts he is noticeably short. Statistically speaking he has used nothing pertinent to back up his points. Just his own "high opinion" because wthe Angels missed the postseason the last few years. Not worth even responding to really.

How can anyone be mad at the Walden trade? People wanted him dumped and he had some pretty bad control issues and Dipoto took a gamble that backfired.

Vargas for Morales worked out fine, we'd have been in the same position now regardless.

Trumbo trade was great, don't see how anyone could think otherwise. With the prices of SP these says, Dipoto got TWO starters for a one dimensional slugger.

Greinke trade was meh. I'd have happily gone without it but we were in a good playoff position and Dipoto gave us a chance at the division(or so we thought).

Freese trade seems decent so far. I agree with everyone about hating to give up Grichuk but I'm also happier to have Freese on our team than most are.

Blanton was by FAR his worst move. We knew he was mediocre AT BEST and we were trying to build a championship team.

The issue with Walden trade was if an excellent organization like the braves gives up on a pitcher like Hanson then that's obviously a red flag, Dipoto should know this, if he doesn't he has no business being GM.

Vargas for Morales didnt work out fine because Vargas turned out to be a pansy like Hanson and now the mariners get a compensation pick for morales instead of the angels getting one.

Too early to tell on the Trumbo trade, but with our history of trades Trumbo will probably end up being a perennial 50 homerun hitter while our 2 young pitchers never pan out.

Greinke trade wasn't that bad, have you guys watched Segura play?  Almost every single game I watched him he would boot a ball or throw it into the stands.  He would rarely stop any ball hit more than 1 foot to his left or right and most of the the time his errors were ruled "base hits".  He had a very good first 2 months with the bat, then crashed back down to reality.  i don't think he will be anything special.

Freese trade was bad, it actually made the team worse.  This infield defense scares me, I dont trust anyone there to make a routine play without making me nervous.

Edited by Marsaka

I'm not buying the Houdini comment regarding the Trumbo trade but it was a trade that unfortunately had to be made. Improving our starting pitching was a absolute must for the team. Getting young pitchers under club control was key. Santiago should be a solid #4 type pitcher ... although, I'm not sold on Skaggs just yet. The kid has already been traded twice and his only 22 years old. ??

Bourjos was being traded no matter what ... he was in Trout's path and needed to go (plain & simple). I was happy to see he was traded for a third baseman. They should of traded Blanton and paid his salary instead of Grichuk lol

The worst of it all for me was the Blanton deal.  Most of the time it's better to do nothing than bring in a barely warm body to take up space, or in this case attempt to eat innings.  Dipoto is a intelligent, articulate, and and thoughtful guy, but relatively young and inexperienced for a GM.  Hopefully he learned from last year's mistakes.  This organization needs to stop signing players who just flat out disappear, like Wells, Blanton, Hanson, Kasmir and Mathews.  Not all of those belong to Dipoto, but it's the payments to players who are doing nothing, or are not even on the team any longer, that is the biggest burden; even more so than Pujols and Hamilton.

Don't forget Madsen. A real big contributor. It is very difficult today to make changes without a solid farm system. The Angels need to draft well and develop pitchers from the last two drafts to be able to compete going forward. The FA market is only going to get worse and more expensive. At this point Dipoto has to hope that Pujols, Hamilton, Freese and Aybar rebound and Calhoun is a legitimate hitter.

he is fast. He is, IMO, a good hitter and he is balls out in the field

I agree.  He's probably the best lead off hitter on the team behind Trout.  He's well down the list when it comes to run producing.  Some folks don't like the defensive routes he runs, but he's only a second year player.  I think he can improve defensively, but I can't see him getting much better offensively.

And I'm shocked that a moderator could be so misinformed about this team. Walden was an All Star who had one mediocre season. We traded him for known broken goods. I'm not sure why you chose to compare him to Jepsen, because they have very little in common. You're also wrong about Greinke. I suggest you read up on what happened.

Ok please explain to me how I'm wrong about Greinke.