• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels discussing trade for Freese

nate

This makes sense if Lynn or Kelly is involved. Maybe Aybar and Bourjos for Lynn/Kelly and Freese? I'd be happy with that. I'd be happier with Freese and Miller but that isn't happening unless the Angels give up all their trade pieces and prospects in one deal.

not for Kelly, his peripherals are pretty mediocre and he could easily come back to earth and get rocked in the AL.

if we are trading aybar we need to get something substantial in return. Kelly looks like a Vargas clone to me

not for Kelly, his peripherals are pretty mediocre and he could easily come back to earth and get rocked in the AL.

if we are trading aybar we need to get something substantial in return. Kelly looks like a Vargas clone to me

He's yet to pitch a full season and he has a ton of upside. He is also under club control until 2019 and won't even be eligible for Arb. until 2016. He was also born in Anaheim so he'd probably love to pitch there.

If you are expecting more for Aybar I think you will be disappointed.

Apparently they want outfield depth.

This is what scares me most: "Freese has battled lower leg problems in the past, and last season he was limited by a back injury."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24256860/report-cardinals-angels-talking-david-freese-trade 

I wouldn't be too concerned with the accuracy of this report since they also mentioned the following.

"The deal at currently discussed would reportedly not involve Angels shortstop Alberto Callaspo -- a possible St. Louis target this offseason -- and also would not involve any member of the Cardinals' stable of young pitching."

Just curious but why is that?   I understand the statistical arguments against him, I'm just curious what it is you don't like beyond those

Joe Kelly reminds me a bit of a young Omar Olivares or rather -- the pitcher Omar Olivares was in the minors and could have been had he not been so stubborn.  OO had ridiculously good sinker - it was such an effective pitch he could have thrown 90% of the time and had success with it..  which he did in the minors.   His problem was that he wanted to throw his other offerings and those tended to get hit with great frequency.   

Dude has control issues -- but that 94-96 MPH sinker is pretty impressive.

The control issues plus the lack of Ks really scares me.  Not to mention he's super WHIPpy.

I don't particularly like his mechanics either, his shoulder and elbow are carrying nearly all of his force.  I've never liked pitchers with that snapping motion a la Richards. 

This is the risk of going the trade route. It's very possible we don't find a good fit out there and if that is the case Jerry might end up having to eat a lot of value to get it done. I seriously hope it's not the difference between Bourjos and Freese that we lose out on because that is a fireable offense.

Freese - acquired in a trade by the Padres for Jimmy Edmonds who the Cards acquired from the Angels.  

I don't want to see the Cards trade Freese just yet.   The argument is that Matt Carpenter will move to 3B and Kolten Wong will take over 2B.    Wong has yet to prove he can hit above .200 in the MLB and while he probably will figure it out, if he doesn't, the Cards would be screwed.  

Freese struggled big time last year, but has the potential to turn it around.

The piece on the Angels that the Cardinals need is Aybar.    But who do the Halos have to play SS in his place?    You guys want Pete Kozma?  :)

The Angels need pitching so badly, that I would go with Romine if it got us a couple of pitchers:  1 major league ready and couple of minor leaguers who could turn into something.

I'm hearing that it's Freese for Bourjos - straight up. I think that Peter has a lot of value to the Angels. And I hate to be the doom and gloom guy, but who is going to play CF if/when Trout leaves?

It does make sense that maybe the Angels should keep PB until we know we have Trout extended long term.

Joe Kelly strikes out no one. Wow. Didn't realize his K/9 was so low.

He is a sinker guy.  He induces ground balls at a career 51.4% which ranks in the top ten in MLB.   He's got a HR/9 Rate of 0.78 which would put him in the top 25 in MLB right with guys named Justin Verlander, Gio Gonzalez, Nolasco, David Price and just ahead of guys like Strasberg. Sheilds and Ubaldo Jimenez.

His Periphs basically make him an Andrew Cashner, Wade Miley, Jeff Locke, Willy Peralta, clone with upside thanks to a 96 MPH FB and a very sharp albeit inconsistent curve.   

That GB rate and low HR/9 rate makes the K rate less of a factor.

Edited by Inside Pitch