• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels have scouted Tanaka multiple times

SoWhat

If we weren't going to get a discount, and if he was going to take the biggest contract nobody what, how does whether we resigned him or not impact the merits of the trade for him?

I didn't say that.  I said that I think Jerry wanted to resign him.  That was his main goal last offseason until Arte pulled the plug.

I have a strong feeling, without any evidence what so ever, that the Angels are bluffing to ensure the Dodgers boost their bid to more than $80 million for the posting fee.

Arte should be able to compete with anyone when it comes to the posting fee.

If he's as rich as I'm led to believe at least.

Edited by Poozy

As for Tanaka's stuff, here's the take of Ben Badler of Baseball America:

At 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, Tanaka throws a low-90s fastball that can touch 96 mph. Even though Tanaka can reach the mid-90s, his fastball is the pitch that gives some scouts pause because it comes in on a flat plane, making it more hittable than the velocity might suggest. Tanaka has two secondary pitches that have earned grades of 60 or better on the 20-80 scouting scale, including a 70 splitter with late downward action to keep hitters off his fastball. His low- to mid-80s slider is another plus weapon, while he’ll mix in a curveball as well.

It's discouraging that Tanaka's fastball is flat. Phil Hughes has a flat fastball. Joe Blanton has a flat fastball. Tim Lincecum's fastball has become pretty flat. They're examples of how flat fastballs are bad.

I know scouting is important, but the guy has been fully dominant against some pretty solid talent in NPB.  The question becomes what will happen when that fastball gets hammered a few times.  Will he become a nibbler or just pitch off of his plus plus secondary stuff and still be effective.  It does make me think that his transition of going to be a bit bumpy the first couple of years where he functions more as a #4 as he cuts his teeth. 

Rangers got a hellava deal signing Yu Darvish. I  think Tanaka will be a #2 or #3  type starter which is not bad. I still believe that a trade should be our first target or Vargas second choice.

Let the Yankees and Dodgers fight it out for Tanaka.

Edited by Troll Daddy

I think Scott might be right.  The Yanks have spending power and need pitching so they'll really play up their hand to try and get one of their competitors to overpay on him.  I think the team that ends up landing Tanaka will be the one looking to take that step from solid or good team to elite team the way the Rangers did with Darvish.

Orioles, Angels, Indians, Nats, Reds and Dodgers rather than guys like the Yanks, Phils, Red Sox and Cubs.  

Obviously the Dodgers are the faves because they've shown a willingness to spend, but I can definitely see the Reds coming in and winning it.