• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels have scouted Tanaka multiple times

SoWhat

I will admit that once the posting fee gets over $50-$60 million, that would be a definate concern.

As for the innings pitched, don't they also have a shorter season over there where they only make on average 28 starts/season?

Even with the extra pitches, his overall pitches workload is probably not much more than the average MLB's pitcher's workload.

I will admit that once the posting fee gets over $50-$60 million, that would be a definate concern.

As for the innings pitched, don't they also have a shorter season over there where they only make on average 28 starts/season?

Even with the extra pitches, his overall pitches workload is probably not much more than the average MLB's pitcher's workload.

You're right about him making less starts per year in Japan. Over the past three seasons, he's averaged just over 200 IP.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/japan/player.cgi?id=tanaka003mas

You're right about him making less starts per year in Japan. Over the past three seasons, he's averaged just over 200 IP.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/japan/player.cgi?id=tanaka003mas

Whoops I thought they made the same amount of starts, thus pushing the innings up near 250 each year. 

It still is concerning that he's pitched around 180 innings each year since he was 18. 

AO, if I am not mistaken, pitch count is more of a worry than actual innings.  I could have sworn I read a few years back that it is stressful pitches made while tired that is more of a cause of arm issues than the actual number of innings thrown.  Does this ring a bell with anyone else? 

I heard the halos are gonna go 'price is right' on this mother and bid $1 while everyone else overbids.  

That would work...if there was a rule about not going over.

If they actually were able to see other teams' bids, they should go cutthroat and outbid someone by $1.

I still can't seehow Tananka is any value to a team near the salary threshold. The posting fee negates anything you would save by not paying the tax on an overage for a known pitcher.

The difference being that you're paying the posting fee once, where being over the luxury tax could have repercussions for multiple years (locking up Trout, for instance, while Hamilton, Wilson, and Pujols are on the books).

Man, I still see this as the absolute game of poker.  You put in this silent bid then if you happen to win that bid, you then get to sign him to a contract.  After that $100+ million investment you have to hope he can adjust culturally and dominate.  I hope he does well no matter where he goes, because I would love for the Japanese game to get closer to the MLB caliber of game.  That would just open up so many more options out there to create even better teams over here in the states.  I think it would just be safer to pay the luxury tax and get proven major league talent.